[comp.sys.amiga] Dead-End Alerts and Guru's

tope@enea.se (Tommy Petersson) (06/20/88)

In article <62300007@hobbiton> choinski@hobbiton.prime.com writes:

>[Halt, Evil Line Eater, and return to whence thou came!]
>
>A possible additiona change would to be to make the system a little more
>tolerant of errors, such that it would be able to recover more often then
>it heads off to guru-land.
>
>The reason I gripe about this is because of the immense start-up time involved
>to re-boot.

>Burton Choinski                                             Prime Computer Inc.
>   At: choinski@hobbiton.prime.com                       Framingham, Ma.  01701

I just wonder a little about two partial cures (?) for the mentioned problem:
SetAlert and Gomf.

First, how do you use SetAlert ? I got it at a disk with a lot more stuff,
but don't know how to use it. I recall it should come with WB 1.3, but is
the rest of 1.3 required?

Could/Should Gomf be used together with SetAlert, and how is it used? I
have heard it is good, so I'm going to download it.

Whay the long delay of 25 seconds when starting up with a jh0: PC hard
disk? Some friends of mine have such beasts and are rather annoyed.

Any good tips for speeding up the boot sequence for a system like mine
with a B2000, two floppies, 3 meg RAM and a 44 meg SCSI hard disk?

andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) (06/21/88)

In article <3548@enea.se> tope@enea.se (Tommy Petersson) writes:
>First, how do you use SetAlert ? I got it at a disk with a lot more stuff,

Just run setalert as a background program.  It patches the DisplayAlert
vector to work with C00000 memory.

>Whay the long delay of 25 seconds when starting up with a jh0: PC hard
>disk? Some friends of mine have such beasts and are rather annoyed.

Before accessing the PC side, the Amiga must wait for the thing
to fire up.  Depending on the amount of ram you have, this can
take awhile.  Until the PC is fully awake, the Amiga can't communicate
with it (not and expect an answer, anyway)
--
andy finkel		{ihnp4|seismo|allegra}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

"Un*x is the answer, but only if you phrase the question very
carefully.