[comp.sys.amiga] Cheap languages/compilers

thomson@utah-cs.UUCP (Rich Thomson) (06/09/88)

In article <1849@hubcap.UUCP> disd@hubcap.UUCP (Gary Heffelfinger) writes:
>I have not sent in a contribution for Draco [but] I ... appreciate it a great
>deal. A compiler, even one that's "non-standard"  (Read, "not C") could do well
>if priced right.  The compilers on the Amiga market are all quite
>expensive for the casual programmer who's grown tired of AmigaBasic.

You should check out the freely distributable C compiler that someone on the
net here (sorry, I've forgotten who) is working on.  Last I heard they just
had floating point bugs to work out.  The compiler now compiles itself and many
small test programs correctly.  This person has taken on a huge problem and
made significant progress in a short time.

In addition there are other commercially available languages for < $100.  I
have seen JForth priced as low as $59 and there are also several PD forth
implementations available on FISH disks.  Although these PD imps. don't allow
you to create stand-alone code (as far as I know), it is possible to extend
them to allow for this capability.  Anyway, you could try out the flavor of
FORTH before you ever bought a commercial package, at least.

There are other languages that are in a similar price range; Gary mentioned
that he programs in TDI Modula-2.  I think the M2 compilers are in a similar
price range.  Now if you want a full-blown language implementation for < $100,
I think you're asking for a little much.  But either JForth or Multi-Forth
do a good job with slightly different flavors of FORTH.  If anyone is interested
in hearing about FORTH programming specifically on the Amiga, I maintain a
mailing list on the subject; send an addition request to:

	amiga-forth-request@cs.utah.edu (currently at issue 16)

--
Rich Thomson, Oasis Technologies, 3190 MEB, U of U, Salt Lake City, Utah  84112
(801) 584-4555  thomson@cs.utah.edu  {bellcore,ihnp4,ut-sally}!utah-cs!thomson

disd@hubcap.UUCP (Gary Heffelfinger) (06/13/88)

From article <5541@utah-cs.UUCP>, by thomson@utah-cs.UUCP (Rich Thomson):
> In article <1849@hubcap.UUCP> disd@hubcap.UUCP (Gary Heffelfinger) writes:
>>I have not sent in a contribution for Draco [but] I ... appreciate it a great
>>deal. A compiler, even one that's "non-standard"  (Read, "not C") could do well
>>if priced right.  The compilers on the Amiga market are all quite
>>expensive for the casual programmer who's grown tired of AmigaBasic.
>
> You should check out the freely distributable C compiler that someone on the
> net here (sorry, I've forgotten who) is working on.  Last I heard they just
> had floating point bugs to work out.  The compiler now compiles itself and many
> small test programs correctly.  This person has taken on a huge problem and
> made significant progress in a short time.
I've got Aztec on the way so I'm not really interested, but other
casual programmers might be.  The idea of a PD compiler is great for
wizards who can pick up the slack when the implementer graduates or buys
a M*c II.  I personally would rather have a commercial product because
it usually means some measure of commitment to the product.  (There are
of course exceptions to both sides of this issue.  Mr Gray has done an
admirable job with Draco, and TDI has done a < admirable job with its
Modula 2 compiler.)

> In addition there are other commercially available languages for < $100.  I
> have seen JForth priced as low as $59 and there are also several PD forth
> implementations available on FISH disks.  Although these PD imps. don't allow
> you to create stand-alone code (as far as I know), it is possible to extend
> them to allow for this capability.  Anyway, you could try out the flavor of
> FORTH before you ever bought a commercial package, at least.
Yes, I agree that Forth could be a good choice for the weekend
programmer.  My brain has been destroyed by the Algol/Fortran/Pascal
syndrome and I find Forth a little tough to chew on, but others might
not.  (Former C64 owners might already have some Forth experience, as it
seems like there are a fair number of implementations available for
it.)

> There are other languages that are in a similar price range; Gary mentioned
> that he programs in TDI Modula-2.  I think the M2 compilers are in a similar
> price range.  Now if you want a full-blown language implementation for < $100,
> I think you're asking for a little much.
Hmmmm.  I'm not sure I agree with that.  Early versions of Borland's
Turbo Pascal compiler had a list price under $50 dollars.  (Current
versions still list at $100.)  Now whether or not you agree that
Borland's Turbo line is worth the effort, you've got to admit that it's
a pretty good deal for a hobbyist.  I understand that the early Turbo
price might have been based on the fact that there was a goodly base of
CP/M users out there, and that the current price is based on the fact
that there are a sh*tload of clone users.  I think, though, that there
just might be a large enough number of Amiga owners who'd like to have
good implementation of any of the "traditional" languages, that the
time might be right.  Borland hit the PC market at the right time.
Maybe someone could do the same thing with the Amiga market.  I doubt
that the installed base of CP/M users was all that much bigger than the
Amiga user base is now, when Tubro Pascal was first introduced.

terry@wsccs.UUCP (Every system needs one) (06/22/88)

In article <1898@hubcap.UUCP>, disd@hubcap.UUCP (Gary Heffelfinger) writes:
> I think, though, that there
> just might be a large enough number of Amiga owners who'd like to have
> good implementation of any of the "traditional" languages, that the
> time might be right.  Borland hit the PC market at the right time.
> Maybe someone could do the same thing with the Amiga market.

	The only problem with this is that Bordland advertised Turbo Pascal
for the Amiga "Coming Soon" when the Amiga was first introduced.  In addition,
Commodore had it on their "runs on our machine" list waaaaaaayyyyy back when
they were still practicing that quaint "marketing" thing they used to do...
Now they assume that word-of-mouth is good enough, I guess.  I have the
four-color glossy to prove it.

	If Commodore truly wanted to get into the "office zone", they'd
either get their sales up to 500,000 unit in the US (Ashton-Tate's limit
on doing dBase), or offer to joint-venture with these companies that make
traditional business software.  The companies would not have to pay full
freight on developement (in case Commodore orphaned the A500 and A2000, too)
and would therefore be less skeptical.

	A number of larger companies, when asked what they thought of the
Amiga, stated that they thought it was a "curiousity".  To quote one official
directly, "The Amiga will always have a cult following, but given the numbers
sold over the time it's been out (600,000, according to AMAZING COMPUTING)
compared to the number of IBM's or MAC's sold in the same period.  Amiga's
marketing isn't there".

	Unfortunately, unless you can provide a ready-made market for the
"big boys", they won't play.

	(Actually... makes sense to me...)

| Terry Lambert           UUCP: ...{ decvax, ihnp4 } ...utah-cs!century!terry |
| @ Century Software        OR: ...utah-cs!uplherc!sp7040!obie!wsccs!terry    |
| SLC, Utah                                                                   |
|                   These opinions are not my companies, but if you find them |
|                   useful, send a $20.00 donation to Brisbane Australia...   |
| 'Signatures; it's not how long you make them, it's how you make them long!' |