[comp.sys.amiga] An annoying feature of 1.1,1.2, etc that I want gone

In article <4023@pasteur.Berkeley.Edu> (Kevin Oster) writes:
>      ... Moreover, there is no reason for it to be selected, since the
>keyboard does nothing to it-- the gadgets for retry and cancel are all
>the input it needs.

Actually the two keys LeftAmiga-V and LeftAmiga-B will select the
left and right gadgets of a system requester respectively. For disk
requests this means LA-B will cancel them when they pop up.

--Chuck McManis

ejkst@cisunx.UUCP (Eric J. Kennedy) (06/23/88)

In article <4023@pasteur.Berkeley.Edu> koster@cory.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (Kevin Oster) writes:

)   A change I would like to see in new versions of ROM: when a requestor
)comes up so inform the user of, say, no disk in df1: or insert system disk,
)etc, its window should not be activated. This would save me the trouble
)of hitting the mouse on the window I was typing in to select it again.
)   This is very annoying. You stick in a disk, say "ls df1:" and the
)requestor comes up and you cannot type more commands in while it is
)selected. Moreover, there is no reason for it to be selected, since the
)keyboard does nothing to it-- the gadgets for retry and cancel are all
)the input it needs.

You are forgetting the left-Amiga-V and left-Amiga-B keyboard
equivelents for Retry and Cancel.  If the requestor window was not
automatically activated, you would have to click in the window, and then
press left-Amiga-{B,V}.  Kind of eliminates the advantage of the keyboard
equivelents.

--
------------
Eric Kennedy

In article <4023@pasteur.Berkeley.Edu> koster@cory.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (Kevin Oster) writes:
>   A change I would like to see in new versions of ROM: when a requestor
>comes up so inform the user of, say, no disk in df1: or insert system disk,
>etc, its window should not be activated. This would save me the trouble

>Moreover, there is no reason for it to be selected, since the
>keyboard does nothing to it-- the gadgets for retry and cancel are all
>the input it needs.

	Didn't you read your 1.2 Update manual?  There is a new requester
flag that allows keyboard input by default in requesters.  This is used in the
auto-requesters to allow Left-Amiga-V and Left-Amiga-B to be Retry and
Cancel.  So for this to work, the window has to be ACTIVATE.

--
Randell Jesup, Commodore Engineering {uunet|rutgers|ihnp4|allegra}!cbmvax!jesup

pds@quintus.uucp (Peter Schachte) (06/23/88)

In article <4023@pasteur.Berkeley.Edu> koster@cory.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (Kevin Oster) writes:
>   A change I would like to see in new versions of ROM: when a requestor
>comes up so inform the user of, say, no disk in df1: or insert system disk,
>etc, its window should not be activated. This would save me the trouble
>of hitting the mouse on the window I was typing in to select it again.

I agree that this is annoying.  There is a better way to fix this,
though, that would fix other similar misfeatures, too.

Suppose when intuition took the "focus" (keyboard ownership) from window
A and gave it to window B, it recorded the fact that A was the previous
owner in B. Then, when B is closed, ownership is given back to A. This
should happen whether focus was transferred by mouse click, or
automatically when a new window is opened.  (If A was already closed
when B was closed, intuition could do as it does now, and not give the
focus to any window.)

Thus focus could be viewed as a stack.  Activating a window is pushing
focus, and closing the focus window is popping focus.  This allows
windows to pop up, have information enterred, and pop back down leaving
you doing what you were doing before without touching the mouse.
-Peter Schachte
pds@quintus.uucp
..!sun!quintus!pds

koster@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Kevin Oster) (06/23/88)

In article <135@quintus.UUCP> pds@quintus.UUCP (Peter Schachte) writes:

>Suppose when intuition took the "focus" (keyboard ownership) from window
>A and gave it to window B, it recorded the fact that A was the previous
>owner in B. Then, when B is closed, ownership is given back to A. This

    This is what happens now. There is a field in the window structure
for previous active window, which is re-activated once the current window
closes. It is like a stack. You can see this if you do a bunch of NEWCLI's
then ENDCLI on the last one. They will be active in reverse order.
     The problem that I don't like, in detail, is when you place a disk
in a drive them immediately cd to it. The machine has not had enough time
to vadidate and/or determine the directory structure of the disk, so it
still thinks there is no disk present and a requestor comes up. Meanwhile,
you are typing commands in after the CD, and your keyboard strokes are lost.
     Some people argue that the requestor has to be activated so you may
type the Left-amiga-V or B but this is rediculous. It just isn't worth it.

michael@stb.UUCP (Michael) (06/24/88)

[one person asking for requestors to be inactive]
[couple of people saying that NOISYREQ requires the window active]

Here's a real tough suggestion: Why not add a flag "SYSTEMREQ". It would be
defined so that any keyboard operation that did not fit such and such
conditions would be passed to whatever window was active when this requester
was created.

Benefits: You can keep typing, and if you don't hit La-V or La-B it would
go to the program.

Suggested condition and implementation: Require it to match a menu selection
or be passed to the next window. Have the system requestors come with a
menu item.

Real problem that this thing is trying to get around: I put a disk in,
type a command, the requestor pops up, and then later goes away.
   -- The driver should check when the request comes in if there is
	a disk in the drive, and not just check its cache'd result
	from the last 2 second check.

			Michael
: ---
: Michael Gersten			 uunet.uu.net!denwa!stb!michael
:				sdcsvax!crash!gryphon!denwa!stb!michael
: What would have happened if we had lost World War 2. Well, the west coast
: would be owned by Japan, we would all be driving foreign cars, hmm...