[comp.sys.amiga] 1.2 kickbench

king@dretor.DRETOR.UUCP (Stephen King) (06/22/88)

There was a kickbench patch for 1.1 and 1.2g, but these won't work with
1.2 release version. Does anyone have the proper stuff?       THANKS

...{utzoo|mnetor}!dciem!dretor!king		Stephen J King

alonzo@microsoft.UUCP (Alonzo Gariepy) (06/25/88)

In article <656@dretor.DRETOR.UUCP> king@dretor.DRETOR.UUCP (Stephen King) writes:
>There was a kickbench patch for 1.1 and 1.2g, but these won't work with
>1.2 release version. Does anyone have the proper stuff?       THANKS
>
>...{utzoo|mnetor}!dciem!dretor!king		Stephen J King

Hi Steve,
	I wrote KickBench.  The version that works on 1.2 is called
KickBench 1.2.0 (versions 1.2 and before release 0).  It does not require
the use of DiskEd.  What you have is my early prerelease that showed up
on the Fred Fish disks.  It is trash.  I see you are in Toronto which is
where I spent the last three years of my life before coming to work here
at microsoft.  If you call up the Bloom Beacon (probably the best Amiga
BBS in the world) I'm sure you'll find a copy of 1.2.0.   If you can't
get the number, contact Wayne Beyea (in the book).  Toronto also has one
of the best technical user groups that I have heard of called the
Amiga Developers Forum.  They meet the third Wednesday of every month
at the Arts Television Centre (also called the Downtown Studio) and welcome
those with an interest in the internals of the Amiga.

Having had a brief look at 1.3, it looks to me like kickbench may be near its
end.  The best thing about 1.3 is that it DOESN'T allow you to boot from
the second floppy drive.  Pretty thoughtful of them considering the effort
that I and a few others have gone to to do this in the past.  The reason
kickbench may be near its end is that I don't know if I'm going to spend
the time to figure out a good patch for the substantially different
bootstrap code in kickstart 1.3.  There is also a commercially available
kickbench program advertised in some issues of amazing computing.  It has
some features better and worse than mine.  I only patch the kickstart code
while it has patched programs on the workbench disk as well.  Besides, it's a
shameful ripoff and KickBench is free.  Let me know how you make out.  You
can mail me at:

alonzo@microsoft

through utzoo

Lonnie

((((((((this message is not a function of microsoft corporation))))))))