[comp.sys.amiga] comment and question

24847843%WSUVM1.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Shawn Clabough) (06/20/88)

I would like to make a comment about the service of dealers.  About two
months ago, my Supra modem 2400 went on the blitz.  I called the company
and got an RA number, then sent it in.  A week later I got it back in
working condition.  Now that's what I call good service.
  Now for the question.  I recently put up a board using TAG-bbs 1.03
using my Supra modem.  I thought I would be able to use it at 2400 baud,
but when people call at 2400, they get garbage and have to switch to
1200 bps.  Am I using the wrong OPEN: command or do I have to do
something else to get it to work?

          IGA
         IGA                         Shawn Clabough
        IGA                          24847843@WSUVM1.BITNET
 AMI   IGA                           Washington State University
  AMI IGA
   AMIGA

fwp@unccvax.UUCP (Rick Pasotto) (06/21/88)

in article <3062@louie.udel.EDU+, 24847843%WSUVM1.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Shawn Clabough) says:
+
[...]

TAG opens the port at 300 baud.  If the Supra modem is initialized to 300
baud it can only got to 1200, however if it is initialized to 2400 baud
it can figure out 1200 and 300.  The solution is to change the statement
that opens the serial port to do so at 2400.

In running a TAG board for several months I have found several coding errors
that I have had to correct.  If anyone is trying to use TAG and doesn't have
a compiler (or does and would like to exchange modifications) please send me
e-mail.  The source code I got (from PLINK) has a statement explicitly placing
it in the public domain.  On that basis I am proceding (very slowly) to
hack on it.

Rick Pasotto
mcnc!unccvax!fwp

cks@ziebmef.uucp (Chris Siebenmann) (06/26/88)

In article <1020@unccvax.UUCP> fwp@unccvax.UUCP (Rick Pasotto) writes:
>TAG opens the port at 300 baud.  If the Supra modem is initialized to 300
>baud it can only got to 1200, however if it is initialized to 2400 baud
>it can figure out 1200 and 300.  The solution is to change the statement
>that opens the serial port to do so at 2400.

 Actually, TAG sends commands to the modem at 300 baud the first time
and then whatever speed the last caller called in at after that. I
suspect the best thing to do is to add another field to the modem
portion of Tag_System that describes the speed to send commands to the
modem at.

--
	You're a prisoner of the dark sky/The propeller blades are still
	And the evil eye of the hurricane's/Coming in for the kill