[comp.sys.amiga] Process priorities and clock accuracy

CRONEJP@UREGINA1.BITNET (Jonathan Crone) (06/26/88)

The reason that i called the guy that wrote RSLclock a twit
about the priority 20 thing (it REALLY is a nice thingy otherwise)
is that almost all AmigaDog or Intuition tasks run at
priorities 5 and 10.... (as in stuff like CON, trackdisk.device,
at 5. the File system at 10, and the input.device at 20)
now unless my understanding of priorities of a multitasking o/s like
amy's is COMPLETELY screwed up, that means that our handy little
clock program can grab cycles more often than important system tasks.
this can lead to crashes when the system is running under a big load...
right???? (well it SEEMED to be leading to crashes for me.... (Ray tracer
at low priority, Lattice C, and term program, and editor  around 1 )
as soon as RSL clock was run at a priority of -1 things seemed to
be much happier around Crone Amiga systems....
(and i didn't loose that much resolution on the clock... it seems to update
around every 2 seconds or so...)

JpC

Jonathan P. Crone
Vice President, AURA,  (Amiga Users of Regina Associated.)
(Regina, Sask. Canada )    (eh???)

CRONEJP@UREGINA1.BITNET
....rutgers!mimsy!uunet!mcl!cronejp

come on now....  does ANYONE give a damn about what i have to say?

lphillips@lpami.van-bc.UUCP (Larry Phillips) (06/27/88)

In <8806260749.AA10296@jade.berkeley.edu>, CRONEJP@UREGINA1.BITNET (Jonathan Crone) writes:
 >The reason that i called the guy that wrote RSLclock a twit
 >about the priority 20 thing (it REALLY is a nice thingy otherwise)

  I guess what really irritated me is that you didn't pay a whole lot for
that piece of software, yet felt that it was OK to call the author a twit.
If I have a piece of PD or shareware software that misbehaves, I either fix
it or refrain from using it.

  In the case of RSLClock, I don't use it because the clock is in a window
of its own, and causes the scrolling to mess up (calls to the layers
library).  I have mentioned this to the author, though neither he nor I see
any way around it that won't break something, somewhere. The priority
problem has been fixed in the latest release.

-larry

--
If all the MSDos machines were laid end to end,
  they still wouldn't be as fun as a single Amiga.