[comp.sys.amiga] ECDROM

kent@xanth.cs.odu.edu (Kent Paul Dolan) (06/13/88)

[Cross-posted, followups directed to comp.sys.amiga]

In article <4438@killer.UUCP>  writes:
>In message <216@jackson.UUCP>, egranthm@jackson.UUCP (Ewan Grantham) says:

>>Nothing to worry about, don't get any of the above. Better to save
>>your money, like I am, for an erasable CD drive. Which brings up the
>>question, does anyone know of a plan to adapt Maxtor's new 5 1/4"
>>erasable CD to run with the Amiga?
>
>I was under the understanding that someone has designed an SCSI
>interface for the erasable CD, so that it can be treated to all
>effects like a SCSI hard drive (i.e. get a C-LTD or A2090, &
>plug'n'play).
>
>If that not be so (the plug'n'play, that is), 'preciate some mail...
>one of those li'l puppies be just right for some of the things we be
>doing.
>
>--
>Eric Lee Green    ..!{ames,att,decwrl,ihnp4,mit-eddie,osu-cis}!killer!elg
>          Snail Mail P.O. Box 92191 Lafayette, LA 70509
>"Is a dream a lie if it don't come true, or is it something worse?"

	I thought this article from alt.emusic might be  an interesting tie
	in.  Anyone got  a price, release  date, interface, transfer  rate,
	track capacity (gives  a  whole new meaning   to track  at  a  time
	buffering), latency,  etc. rumor to share?  This  is just the right
	sized storage for my home system.  Think of it  as  room for a five
	year supply of  Fish  disks (assuming  the current acceleration  in
	releases continues),  plus  the  workbench,  and including  the  mg
	editor, arc, zoo, uuencode,  uudecode,   patch, unshar, and  a  few
	other vital tools  (like  Bard's  Tale II  and III, for  those idle
	download hours, (WHERE are the  Amiga versions?)),  [or one day  of
	comp.pictures.amiga postings, take your   choice! ;-) ] This  could
	make virtual  memory pretty popular in  home systems, too,  at  the
	right price.

| From: sxm@philabs.Philips.Com (Sandeep Mehta)
| Newsgroups: alt.emusic
| Subject: erasable optical disk (Re: Hello?)
| Date: 8 Jun 88 11:59:53 GMT
|
| In article <10642@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> mellon@eris.berkeley.edu (Ted
| Lemon) writes:
| >I'm here.   I suppose this group is about electronic music, judging from
| >the title.   Doesn't seem to be much activity, though.
| >
| >Just to stir things up, though, has anybody considered the implications
| >of writable compact disks on electronic music?
| >

| Philips and DuPont have announced their erasable optical disc,
| it has 1 Gbyte capacity, with a 30 msec seek time. I think the primary
| target for this technology is mass storage devices. I wonder if this
| adds a new dimension to the DAT/CD/LP struggle ? As far as e-music goes
| I'd like to see electronic music with digital video on the same disk, the
| video disk has only digital audio.
|
| sandeep
| --
| Sandeep Mehta                                         uunet!philabs!bebop!sxm
| Philips Laboratories                                  sxm@philabs.philips.com

	I'm impressed, that seek time betters by a factor of 1000 the first
	one I heard from Phillips ten years ago.  Way to go!  That's a heck
	of an accomplishment in a mechanical system in so short a time.

Kent, the man from xanth.

	Of course, you'd have to have  two drives; nothing else is suitable
	for backups, and doing a  one  drive backup   with 12 megabytes  of
	Amiga memory is 84 or so disk swaps; bad case of swappers' shoulder
	from that little trick.

billh@tekig4.TEK.COM (William Hansen) (06/15/88)

>>>Nothing to worry about, don't get any of the above. Better to save
>>>your money, like I am, for an erasable CD drive. Which brings up the
>>>question, does anyone know of a plan to adapt Maxtor's new 5 1/4"
>>>erasable CD to run with the Amiga?		 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Does anyone have any information that they could post on this drive? (Or
did I somehow miss this?) :-(

					Bill Hansen
					billh@teklim.LIM.TEK.COM

jon@jim.odr.oz (Jon Wells) (06/21/88)

From article <5566@xanth.cs.odu.edu>, by kent@xanth.cs.odu.edu (Kent Paul Dolan):

> Kent, the man from xanth.
>
> 	Of course, you'd have to have  two drives; nothing else is suitable
> 	for backups, and doing a  one  drive backup   with 12 megabytes  of
> 	Amiga memory is 84 or so disk swaps; bad case of swappers' shoulder
> 	from that little trick.

No no no, what you do is build yourself a large circulating memory device.
Take one high powered lasers and small amount of buffer memory.

Point the laser at the moon and look for the reflections.

Now it's about 246k miles to the moon if you allow about two thirds of this
for active data time that gets you about two seconds worth of data.
If you can tramsit at ~1Gbs thats 256k bytes or so of data storage.

You should be able set up a data framing format such that you can insert
a lump of data and let it circulate for any amount of time while you
swap disks.

This has several dis-advantages over using large mos-memory devices,
some of which are quite attractive.

  1. You have to swap the disks far more often, thus reducing
     the likelyhood of actually doing a backup.

  2. Your electricity bill would quite high, thus increasing
     the profits of the service provider which then requires that
     the provider pay more tax thus reducing direct personal tax,right.

  3. It only works when the moon is out, full-moon might be
     appropriate.

  4. Data integrity could be as good as a telephone line.

  5. Increasing the systems bandwidth would cost heaps.
     I'm not sure how but you should be able to find a
     way of using multiple links. So if one was to build a system
     with about 4000 lasers you could store the entire contents
     of the cdrom in one lump. This does of cause contradict
     point 1.

  6. You would probably have to buy a small lump of the
     moon in order to have an area to yourself. This could lend
     to great advances in commercial space flight, you know the
     odd trip to talk over the deal with the real-estate agent etc.

  7. Your data would still get mixed up with every one elses'.
     A great boon for the anti-privacy lobby.

  8. Network traffic would be greatly reduced as everyone could
     `see' all the other data, `look and you shall see??'

jon

--
Jon Wells @ O'Dowd Research P/L.  Ph: 03-562-0100 Fax: 03-562-0616

Rogue isn't the only place that leprechauns steal your gold!

dkhusema@faui44.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Dirk Husemann) (06/27/88)

Subject: Re: ECDROM (was Re: SURPRISE Everyone!!! the 2080 is out!)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga

From article <512@jim.odr.oz>, by jon@jim.odr.oz (Jon Wells):
> No no no, what you do is build yourself a large circulating memory device.
> Take one high powered lasers and small amount of buffer memory.
>
> Point the laser at the moon and look for the reflections.
>
> Now it's about 246k miles to the moon if you allow about two thirds of this
> for active data time that gets you about two seconds worth of data.
> If you can tramsit at ~1Gbs thats 256k bytes or so of data storage.
>
> You should be able set up a data framing format such that you can insert
> a lump of data and let it circulate for any amount of time while you
> swap disks.
>
> This has several dis-advantages over using large mos-memory devices,
> some of which are quite attractive.
>
>   1. You have to swap the disks far more often, thus reducing
>      the likelyhood of actually doing a backup.
>
>   2. Your electricity bill would quite high, thus increasing
>      the profits of the service provider which then requires that
>      the provider pay more tax thus reducing direct personal tax,right.

	Get yourself a wide-area solar power station with enough batteries for
power storage.

>   3. It only works when the moon is out, full-moon might be
>      appropriate.

	It should also work if there is no full-moon, after all, what do you
have your computer for? Calculate the current position of the moon relative to
your MELSD site (Moon Earth Laser Storage Device)!

>   4. Data integrity could be as good as a telephone line.
>
>   5. Increasing the systems bandwidth would cost heaps.
>      I'm not sure how but you should be able to find a
>      way of using multiple links. So if one was to build a system
>      with about 4000 lasers you could store the entire contents
>      of the cdrom in one lump. This does of cause contradict
>      point 1.

	Using FM should do.

>   6. You would probably have to buy a small lump of the
>      moon in order to have an area to yourself. This could lend
>      to great advances in commercial space flight, you know the
>      odd trip to talk over the deal with the real-estate agent etc.

	In case the star wars research (are they lacking the FORCE ??) advances
far enough, your laser beam will come back from the moon as needle sharp as it
was after leaving your private MELSD site. As I said, in case ...

>   7. Your data would still get mixed up with every one elses'.
>      A great boon for the anti-privacy lobby.
>
>   8. Network traffic would be greatly reduced as everyone could
>      `see' all the other data, `look and you shall see??'

	This will only work for restricted regions, for
	(a) to be able to `see' you have to have the same light conditions
	as the originating MELSD site (i.e, night).

	(b) due to the diffusion angle of our nowadays lasers the distribution
	of news or any network items will be limited to certain regions only.

> jon
>

> --
> Jon Wells @ O'Dowd Research P/L.  Ph: 03-562-0100 Fax: 03-562-0616
>
> Rogue isn't the only place that leprechauns steal your gold!

	Seeing you on the MELSD net sometime (real soon now?) in the
(not so far) future ...

	-Dirk

------------------ Smile, tomorrow will be worse! -------------
Business: Dirk Husemann			Home: Dirk Husemann
	  Friedrich-Alexander University      Aufsess-Str. 19
	  Erlangen-Nuremberg		      D-8520 Erlangen
	  Comp.Science Dep. IMMD IV	      West Germany
	  Martensstrasse 1		      +49 9131 302036
	  D-8520 Erlangen
	  West Germany
	  +49 9131 857908

	  email: dkhusema@faui44.informatik.uni-erlangen.de
------------------ Did I say smile? Forget it! ----------------
Disclaimer: The opinions, views, statements, ..., expressed
	    here are NOT those of the university nor those of
	    the student body as a whole. In fact, they're mine!