[comp.sys.amiga] Disk Filesystems

mwjones@lion.waterloo.edu (Morgan Jones) (06/24/88)

In article <57366@sun.uucp> cmcmanis%pepper@Sun.COM (Chuck McManis) writes:
>whereas the various Atari disk accellerators rely on specific things being
>in specific places in the ROM and initial RAM image, and thus break when
>the O/S or ROMs get revved etc.

Yeah, but Atari ROMS don't get changed!!

--
Morgan Jones					mwjones@lily.waterloo.edu

sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) (06/26/88)

In article <7512@watdragon.waterloo.edu> mwjones@lion.waterloo.edu (Morgan Jones) writes:
>In article <57366@sun.uucp> cmcmanis%pepper@Sun.COM (Chuck McManis) writes:
>>whereas the various Atari disk accellerators rely on specific things being
>>in specific places in the ROM and initial RAM image, and thus break when
>>the O/S or ROMs get revved etc.
>
>Yeah, but Atari ROMS don't get changed!!

  Are you trying to say that this is a benefit or drawback Morgan?

>>--Chuck McManis
>
>--
>Morgan Jones					mwjones@lily.waterloo.edu

--
 Dan "Sneakers" Schein                 -= Sneakers Computing =-
 2455 McKinley Ave

     Call BERKS AMIGA BBS - 24 Hrs - 3/12/2400 Baud - 40Meg - 215/678-7691

      Those who worked the hardest are the last to surrender. (Gary Ward)

rstiles@pnet02.cts.com (Rick Stiles) (06/27/88)

In article <57366@sun.uucp> cmcmanis%pepper@Sun.COM (Chuck McManis) writes:
>In article <12508@pnet.uucp> mwjones@lily.waterloo.edu (Morgan Jones) writes:
>>whereas the various Atari disk accellerators rely on specific things being
>>in specific places in the ROM and initial RAM image, and thus break when
>>the O/S or ROMs get revved etc.

>Yeah, but Atari ROMS don't get changed!!
                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
They just did. The Mega ST line breaks 50% of the ST programs. Could you say
ROM rev? I knew you could. (I did not see any :-) so I presume you really
meant
it.)

"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few."
Mr. Spock   Star Trek The OLD Generation.

So please, give us MORE COLORS!!

UUCP: {ihnp4!scgvaxd!cadovax rutgers!marque}!gryphon!pnet02!rstiles
INET: rstiles@pnet02.cts.com

mwjones@lion.waterloo.edu (Morgan Jones) (06/27/88)

In article <1060.AA1060@heimat> sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) writes:
>>Yeah, but Atari ROMS don't get changed!!
>  Are you trying to say that this is a benefit or drawback Morgan?

Depends on your point of view.  If you own an Atari, it's bad - if you own
an Amiga, it's good :-).

If you're asking if I like the fact that the Amiga's kernel keeps changing,
I don't think that they change fast enough!!!