[comp.sys.amiga] AmiEXPO get together

kjohn@richp1.UUCP (John K. Counsulatant) (06/16/88)

	I sent out a posting last week about my setting up a USENET get
	together at the AmiEXPO in Chicago.  I received 2 (count'em two)
	responces, one saying YEAH, GREAT, the other from Pat White
	offering to bring the comp.sys.*.amiga libraries with him.  Come on
	guys, do you want this or not?  What I am planning on (if ENOUGH
	RESPONCE ARE RECEIVED) is:

	1) Meet at the Illinois Institue of Technology campus (still
	checking into this one), just blocks from McCormick Place.

	2) Distributing any requested PD or shareware software.

	3) Having a good time !!!!!

	I plan to do 2) by getting (in advance) software from you all and
	combining it with my collection to come up with a list of what's
	available (and current! :-) ).  Then I will contact everyone
	(whew!) wishing to attend and find out what they want.  After this
	I will put the software on disks to hand out at the get together.
	I haven't decided on a good way to handle all this before the
	AmiEXPO, but it should be doable if I have access to everyone.

	PLEASE E-MAIL (or even better) CALL ME SO I CAN GET THE BALL
	ROLLING.  I can be reached at ihnp4!richp1!kjohn,
	kjohn@richp1.UUCP, or (especially) 1(312)418-1236.  Contact me
	A.S.A.P.

					KJohn

	P.S.
		Thanx to all for help with my harddisk (non)problem, I
	was using too small an interleave factor!

hummel@uiucdcsm.cs.uiuc.edu (06/17/88)

Written  3:38 pm  Jun 15, 1988 by kjohn@richp1.UUCP in comp.sys.amiga:
>	1) Meet at the Illinois Institue of Technology campus (still
>	checking into this one), just blocks from McCormick Place.

Ummmm...by all other accounts, AmiEXPO is being held at the Hyatt
Regency, NOT McCormick Place.  I've heard there's a difference.

>	3) Having a good time !!!!!

Not a bad idea.  For the after-hours, how about a UseNet gathering at Gino's
East (great Chicago pizza!) or Ed DeBevic's (cool '50's diner)?  Or, how many
do you think can cram into somebody's hotel room? :-)

----------
Lionel Hummel					404 W. High St., #6
hummel@cs.uiuc.edu				Urbana, IL  61801
{ihnp4,pur-ee}!uiucdcs!hummel			(H)  (217)344-5303
Dept. of Computer Science			(W)  (217)333-6116

In article <287@richp1.UUCP> kjohn@richp1.UUCP (John Scott Kjellman (consultant)) writes:

>	I sent out a posting last week about my setting up a USENET get
>	together at the AmiEXPO in Chicago.  I received 2 (count'em two)
>	responces, one saying YEAH, GREAT, the other from Pat White
>	offering to bring the comp.sys.*.amiga libraries with him.  Come on
>	guys, do you want this or not?  What I am planning on (if ENOUGH
>	RESPONCE ARE RECEIVED) is:

Allow me to offer a suggestion that worked *rather well* at AmiExpo in
LA.

Just tell about 2 dozen well placed people to meet in the closest bar;
in this case it was in the hotel where AmiExpo was.

Post the annoucement to the net, anda few others (Plink, local BBS's)
and your set.

Face it, if you ask this crowf to *agree* on something you'll
probably get a consensus to agree on Maui around 1995.

Maybe you could meet at the IPC Bar and Grille ?

--
                              "Shrimp Ahoy"
richard@gryphon.CTS.COM                               {backbone}!gryphon!richard

nor1675@dsacg2.UUCP (Michael Figg) (06/17/88)

In article <287@richp1.UUCP>, kjohn@richp1.UUCP (John K. Counsulatant) writes:

> 	1) Meet at the Illinois Institue of Technology campus (still
> 	checking into this one), just blocks from McCormick Place.

What is this about McCormick Place? According to my map this is about 5-7
miles from the Hyatt Regency where the AmiExpo is suppose to be. Have they
moved it. A dealer from Cincinnati that I just talked, who will be in
Chicago, says he is getting mail daily from AmiExpo explaining where he is
going to set up at the Hyatt. So what is going on at the McCormick Place?

If the Expo is at McCormick Place, contrary to (false) advertising, does
anybody know of hotels close by?

				     Thanks,

--
"Don't quote me on this!"                      Michael Figg
					       DLA Systems Automation Center

jimm@amiga.UUCP (Jim Mackraz) (06/18/88)

)
)Just tell about 2 dozen well placed people to meet in the closest bar;
)in this case it was in the hotel where AmiExpo was.
)                              "Shrimp Ahoy"
)richard@gryphon.CTS.COM                               {backbone}!gryphon!richard

Well, Dale and I started that attempt (or maybe you are talking about
another event), and I think it worked like shit.  We all met in this lovely
bar in the hotel (flower room of the westin-bonaventura), and oh, a
hundred people came.  We absolutely ruined the bar's idea of a lovely happy
hour, and although they took some orders, they never delivered ANY drinks.

So, the idea certainly can work, but pick a place that can survive a
crowd whose size is unbounded large (and the members of which don't
necessarily "get out much," if you catch my drift).  Your favorite
italian restaraunt probably isn't the move (at least don't use *my* favorite
italian restaraunt).

    jimm

PS: Were you there, Sext-maniac?  I'm still holding a great one-liner
that I've been saving for you for over a year.  Maybe next DevCon, eh?

--
	Jim Mackraz, I and I Computing
	amiga!jimm	BIX:jmackraz

kjohn@richp1.UUCP (John K. Counsulatant) (06/22/88)

In article <212@dsacg2.UUCP> nor1675@dsacg2.UUCP (Michael Figg) writes:
>In article <287@richp1.UUCP>, kjohn@richp1.UUCP (John K. Counsulatant) writes:
>>
>> 	1) Meet at the Illinois Institue of Technology campus (still
>> 	checking into this one), just blocks from McCormick Place.
>>

>What is this about McCormick Place? According to my map this is about 5-7
>miles from the Hyatt Regency where the AmiExpo is suppose to be. Have they
>moved it. A dealer from Cincinnati that I just talked, who will be in
>Chicago, says he is getting mail daily from AmiExpo explaining where he is
>going to set up at the Hyatt. So what is going on at the McCormick Place?
>
>If the Expo is at McCormick Place, contrary to (false) advertising, does
>anybody know of hotels close by?

OOPS, I dufus'd (or is that MSD*S'd?).  Sorry for the confussion, but
AmiEXPO will be at THE HYATT REGENCY for three days of AMIGA Exhibitions,
Seminars, and Keynotes (wow, what a press clip :-) ).

>				     Thanks,
>
>--
>"Don't quote me on this!"                      Michael Figg
>					       DLA Systems Automation Center
>					       Columbus, Oh.
>					       (614)-238-9036

Sorry if I messed anyone up, but what do you expect after reading thru the
RKM manuals?  I have lost all hopes of reading or writing english (ahem!)
again! (just joshing CATS, for all it faults, RKM is still the best ref. docs
around!).

Anyway, I got a few suggestions and I will FIND A BAR CLOSE TO THE HYATT !!!!
This seems like the best solution to me, as in most people aren't willing
to commit to being anywhere more than a day or two in advance, and IIT
needs to know how many people will be attending.......  I guess I can
understand this, I was planning to be at the first AmiEXPO, but couldn't
scrap up the time/moneys required to go, oh well.

As far as swapping PD/shareware is concerned, I am asking all who wish to
participate to send me ARC'd disks (not nessecary, but gets more bang per
disk) of anything they would like to contribute.  All disks sent to me will
be returned, if you miss AmiEXPO, I'll UPS them back when it's over.
Please include the version of the software and source code if at all
possible.  I have both Lattice 4.0 and Manx 3.6, so if no binaries are
included, I should be able to compile them (provided I get some form of
directions..... :-) ).

I will compose a list of everthing that I recieve.  This software list will
be posted to the net and all who wish something specific can E-mail, USnail,
or phone me and I will make sure I have a disk or two for them at the EXPO.
I will need these A.S.A.P. so I will have time to get your requests and
make the disks up.  If I miss anyone (due to the high quality of my feed
:-) ).  I will UPS them their disks.

I can be reached at:

E-Mail:           ihnp4!richp1!kjohn
			 or
		  kjohn@richp1.UUCP

USnail:           John Kjellman
		  17302 Park Ave.
		  Lansing, IL 60438

RealTime:         1 (312) 418-1236    (after 6pm Chicago time)

						Scanks in advance,
						     KJohn

--
|DISCLAIMER:  Being a consultant, none of my opions represent anything.       |
|             Except possiblely my own, but then again, maybe not.            |

langz@athena.mit.edu (Lang Zerner) (06/24/88)

In article <292@richp1.UUCP> kjohn@richp1.UUCP (John K. Counsulatant) writes:

>Anyway, I got a few suggestions and I will FIND A BAR CLOSE TO THE HYATT !!!!

Be careful!  I would recomend something bigger, like the hotel lobby.  Very few
bars near the Hyatt will fit the hundred or so people you may find will show up
(maybe fewer, but you can be sure to get more than you expect).  After you know
how many people you've got gathered together in the lobby, you can decide
whether a bar will be sufficient.  You may want to see about getting a small
conference room or suite set up at the Hyatt and getting food&drink delivered
or picking it up yourselves.

Ask people who were at the last AmiEXPO Usenet BOF, and you'll see what I mean.
Just trying to help prevent a potentially unpleasant situation.

Be seeing you...
 Lang Zerner      langz@athena.mit.edu     ihnp4!mit-eddie!athena.mit.edu!langz
"Many a good hanging prevents a bad marriage..."
      -- Bill Shakespeare, Twelfth Night, I.v.19

schabacker@frambo.dec.com (CB, posted by generous Tim) (06/28/88)

[Ouch, let go, you nasty little line-eater]

[This is for John (KJohn) mainly, but mailer trouble and needed
publicity for this event brought it here]

Hi John & netfolks,

Even though it may get boring this time, YES, YES, YES, I'm coming!!!
And I'll bring a friend along (or vice versa to be financially exact).:-)
And I'll bring along TurboBackup, just to make sure that we'll get
really GOOD copies. I have a complete Fish library (-146), but that's
surely not hot news. But I sure would love see Pat bringing along the
archives.
If there's anything else I can do (from here) let me know.

See ya in Al Capone town,
			  <CB>

P.S. Although my psychiatrist said this would be bad for my ego, I'm
going to wear an absolutly disgusting red baseball hat reading

 Super
 >-CB-<
Operator

during the AmiExpo, as a service for you folks to quickly indentify
me and thus giving you time to jump for cover if I'm headed in your
direction. :-)

  / /   |  \ \    <CB> aka Christian Balzer - The Software Brewery -        //
 / /    |   \ \   UUCP : decwrl!{frambo|fra03|fra04}.dec.com!schabacker    //
< <     |---<  >    or : schabacker@{frambo|fra03|fra04}.dec.com       \\ //
 \ \    |   / /   CIS  : 71001,210 (Be brief!) | Phone: +49 6150 4151   \X/
  \ \__ |__/ /    Snail: Im Wingertsberg 45, D-6108 Weiterstadt, F.R.G

"It's a 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of
cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses..."  "Hit it!"

Don't do the disclaimer!