[comp.sys.amiga] Chips

johnk@pro-pac.CTS.COM (John Krause) (06/26/88)

Hello I have an Amiga 2000 and would like to get a little more speed out of
it. I have not opened it up yet to look at the exact motorola number on the
CPU, but I am interested in upgrading the 68000. However I need some more
info. What are the pros and cons to putting in a 68010? I have the latest
Jameco catalog and they list several 68000 series chips.

                        MC68000L8
                        MC68000L10
                        MC68000P12

What are the differences between L and P, and 8, 10, 12?

Which chip is the one used in the 2000?

Also listed in this catalog is MC68010L10, is this a direct replacement for
the CPU in the 2000? Will all the software that runs under the 68000 with
WB1.2 run with the 68010?

BTW I have the mechanical ability to do the swap, but I don't have the
technical knowledge of these chips. FYI the MC68010L10 is listed for $29.95.
One other chip that caught my eye was an MC68008L8, what is it?

Thanks in advance!

                                Mahalo and Aloha
                                John
UUCP: crash!pnet01!pro-simasd!pro-pac!johnk
U.S. Mail: John C. Krause 92-982 Kanehoa Loop, Ewa Beach, HI 96707

smaug@eneevax.UUCP (Kurt J. Lidl) (06/27/88)

In article <3154@crash.cts.com> johnk@pro-pac.CTS.COM (John Krause) writes:
>Hello I have an Amiga 2000 and would like to get a little more speed out of
>it. I have not opened it up yet to look at the exact motorola number on the
>CPU, but I am interested in upgrading the 68000. However I need some more
>info. What are the pros and cons to putting in a 68010? I have the latest
>Jameco catalog and they list several 68000 series chips.

I just did this upgrade (a 68010) about a week ago.  Here is what I
can tell you about it.  You want a 68010 chip, with a suffix of
L8 ro L10 (letter may vary).  This specifies the clock speed at which
the chip has tested up to.  For a standard b2000, the the L8 chip is
plenty fast enough (the Amiga run ~7.14Mhz).  The 68010 is the pin-exact
replacement for the 68000.

[stuff deleted about which chip to use]>
>Will all the software that runs under the 68000 with
>WB1.2 run with the 68010?

Unfortunately, no.  There is a thread on the newsgroup relating
the problems people (me amoung others) have had with specific
programs and with which chips.  I have tried to save these messages with
thehope of summerizing to the net, but only a few have made it here,
where comp.sys.amiga.tech does not yet dwell :-(.  At any rate, most
programs DO work correctly.  Also, some of the amiga luminaries on
the groups (dillon, etc) have posted things
about the nasty things that the Greenhills compiler did/does to
AmigaDOS projects (from my limited knowledge, I believe the Greenhills
compiler runs on a SUN and produces wonderfully optimized code!).

>BTW I have the mechanical ability to do the swap, but I don't have the
>technical knowledge of these chips. FYI the MC68010L10 is listed for $29.95.
>One other chip that caught my eye was an MC68008L8, what is it?

The 68008 is a 68000 in a slightly different form - it has a 8 bit data bus, which is great for those
who bread-board their own - but NOT what you want to stick in your Amiga.
>Thanks in advance!
>                                John

==  Kurt J. Lidl  (smaug@eneevax.umd.edu)	(301)454-6849	==
==  UUCP: [seismo,allegra]!umcp-cs!eneevax!smaug		==
========"It's after 3am, no point in going to sleep now..."=======

knurlin@trwspf.TRW.COM (Scott Karlin) (06/28/88)

In article <3154@crash.cts.com> johnk@pro-pac.CTS.COM (John Krause) writes:
>What are the pros and cons to putting in a 68010?

The speed increase will probably only average about 5% or so.
Some programs will not work, so for only 5% increase I wouldn't
make the modification.  That way when something doesn't work there's
one less thing to worry about.

>Jameco catalog and they list several 68000 series chips.
>
>MC68000L8,  MC68000L10,  MC68000P12
>What are the differences between L and P, and 8, 10, 12?

L means ceramic package, P means plastic.
8, 10, & 12 mean 8 MHz, 10 MHz, & 12.5MHz respectively.

>Which chip is the one used in the 2000?

The Amiga 68000 runs at just over 7 MHz, so the 8 MHz version
will probably be the cheapest one you'll find.  Also, you may
use either the L or P version.

>Thanks in advance!
You're welcome.

--
-- Scott Karlin
   TRW, Bldg O2-1761, One Space Park, Redondo Beach, CA 90278