[comp.sys.amiga] Which Modula-2

m85_mikael@tdb.uu.se (Mikael Lundgren) (06/09/88)

I'm thinking about getting a Modula-2 compiler for my Amiga so i'd
like to see some opinions about TDI Modula-2 and Benchmark Modula-2.
I've seen some rumors (on Swedish BBS) about Benchmark M-2 having some
problems getting into the market, what happened?
As far as i now only the TDI version is marketed here in Sweden
(priced at 1995:- SEK (including 23.46% VAT), that's about $330 !!!)...

Being the first time that i post something in an international area,
i wonder how far this message will get. We have been connected on this
system for only a few weeks there isn't very much to read yet so we're
waiting to see how much activity there is here....

See you,     good night

Mikael Lundgren     Uppsala    Sverige

hcmutt@hpcllld.HP.COM (Harry Muttart) (06/23/88)

Hello,

Having used both to write programs for the Amiga, the following can be said...

compiler performance:  Benchmark wins hands-down...(can be made memory resident)
                TDI uses the four-pass model...Benchmark uses the one-pass.
compiled program code size:  Depends...TDI has a linker that only includes
                needed procedures from modules...Benchmark chops modules up less
                (Intuition decls in single module!) and these modules are
                smaller than TDI.  TDI seems to have the edge for small programs
                which rely on few "outside" modules (my opinion...AmigaWorld
                does not necessarily agree).
compiled program performance: Depends...Comparable according to AmigaWorld...
                Benchmark uses the fast floating point so programs which do a
                lot of crunching will usually do better on Benchmark.  If the
                1.3 version of DOS has faster IEEE floating point, this
                advantage may disappear.
dependability:  Benchmark wins hands-down...For TDI, you need the library source
                to identify "odd problems" (my opinion).  Compiler occaisionally
                GURU's.  Benchmark also can be used more dependably on a 512K
                system.
integration:    Benchmark provides a very nicely integrated environment.  If you
                do not care for the editor supplied (micro GNUmacs) you can use
                individual tools.  If you choose TDI, be sure to get a copy of
                the M2error from one of the Fish disks...much better than using
                the flakey TDI editor (it has one feature that I really like
                (tabbing to align to the next non-blank column in the line
                above)).  Benchmark load file format conforms to Amiga
                standards (works with MetaScope).
leverage other Amiga languages: Benchmark wins hands down.  An assembler
                interface is supported.  The optional "C libraries" library
                makes relatively painless conversion of C code a possibility;
                a crude conversion tool (CtoM2) is also included in the set of
                example programs.  TDI supports use of HEX for in-line code and
                for "assembler" procedures.
programming tools: Benchmark seems "ahead."  When the souce level debugger shows
                up (Real Soon Now), it will be the clear winner.
docmentation:   Benchmark wins hands-down.
cost:           Benchmark with the optional modules is more expensive than TDI.
                For me it is worth it.
other sources:  See the most recent AmigaWorld, which compares TDI, M2Amiga, and
                Benchmark.

I believe that the marketing problems for Benchmark have been dealt with... I
no longer see Oxxi advertising the product.  The proper company to contact is

      Avant Garde Software
      2213 Woodburn
      Plano TX 75075
      214/964-0260

Harry Muttart

PS - Is the $330 for the TDI commercial version?

e_stav%avh.unit.uninett@tor.nta.no (Erlend Stav) (06/24/88)

I think the M2Amiga compiler will be a good choice.

Here in Scandinavia you can buy it / get more info from

Intersoft
Sct. Joergensbjerg 26.
DK-4400 Kalundborg
Tlf +45/3/512014

The price is ca. 1300,- DK + TAX.

I have not tried the Benchmark Compiler, but comparing the M2Amiga compiler
with my (old) TDI version, I find the M2Amiga compiler much faster, easier
in use and with better support to Amiga and general Modula-2 libraries.

Erlend Stav.    Stord Highscool of Teaching.

kim@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) (06/25/88)

In article <57@tdb.uu.se>, m85_mikael@tdb.uu.se (Mikael Lundgren) writes:

> I'm thinking about getting a Modula-2 compiler for my Amiga so i'd
> like to see some opinions about TDI Modula-2 and Benchmark Modula-2.
> I've seen some rumors (on Swedish BBS) about Benchmark M-2 having some
> problems getting into the market, what happened?
> As far as i now only the TDI version is marketed here in Sweden
> (priced at 1995:- SEK (including 23.46% VAT), that's about $330 !!!)...

The latest issue of AmigaWorld (July, I believe), has a comparative review
of all three of them.  Not nearly as thorough or as technical as I'd like
to see, but then what do you really expect from AmigaWorld.

Anyway, to make a long story short, the *reviewer's* recommendation was
(in order of preference):

      1.  Bencmark (Avant-Guarde S/W, not Oxxi)

      2.  M2Amiga  (Interface Assoc.)

      3.  TDI

I'm sure other people have differing opinions, though I expect that most
would agree on whose in 3rd place.  Best for you to read the article(s)
available, or better yet, try using the one's you're interested in first.

/kim

--
UUCP:  kim@amdahl.amdahl.com
  or:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,uunet,oliveb,ames}!amdahl!kim

aplusl@ethz.UUCP (Albert Meier) (06/28/88)

In article <57@tdb.uu.se> m85_mikael@tdb.uu.se (Mikael Lundgren) writes:

>I'm thinking about getting a Modula-2 compiler for my Amiga so i'd
>like to see some opinions about TDI Modula-2 and Benchmark Modula-2.
>I've seen some rumors (on Swedish BBS) about Benchmark M-2 having some
>problems getting into the market, what happened?
>As far as i now only the TDI version is marketed here in Sweden
>(priced at 1995:- SEK (including 23.46% VAT), that's about $330 !!!)...

Dear Mikael,
You seem to forget the other Modula-2 compiler M2Amiga that has been
introduced with good success in all major countries on the world
including Sweden! Ask the responsible company for Scandinavia for your
next dealer:

InterSoft ApS
Sct. Jorgensbjerg 26
DK-4400 Kalundborg
Tel. +45/3/512014

You will be pleased to hear that the prices for M2Amiga all over the
world will be the same. You may also write to the following journalist:

Edgar Georg Meyzis, Bonner Str. 50, D-5216 Niederkassel

He can send you tables that compare all Modula-2 compilers on the Amiga.
They perfectly show, which one (1) is the best.

   .. ....          Albert Meier        Tel.  +41/1/700 30 37
  ..   ....         A+L AG, Im Spaeten 23, CH-8906 Bonstetten
..       .......    E-Mail     aplusl@komsys.ifi.ethz.ch.UUCP