[comp.sys.amiga] Arp 1.1 bug

In article ... carolyn@cbmvax.UUCP (Carolyn Scheppner CATS) writes:
> You are supposed to supply a specification for the window.

> Like  RAW:0/0/640/200/MyWindow

Well, I just clicked up a CLI to try this, and typed "copy * to con:".
It came back with: "   .info..Can't open con:".

That's funny, I thought. Then "Oh, it's the ARP copy, and '*' means '#?'".
Now then, someone on the net said that with the ARP copy "copy to con:"
will work... "   .info..Can't open con:".

So, until someone tells me how to create a file with "copy", or they fix
this bug (yes, the AmigaDOS documentation says "*" is standard input or
output, and the ARP documentation says that it's compatible with AmigaDOS,
so it's a bug), I'm going to switch back to the DOS copy.

In all fairness to ARP, they did hold off on replacing copy for a long time,
so I guess they haven't had as much time to test this one.

Perhaps you ARPies could look for an environment variable "WILDSTAR" and
if it's set to "no" disable "*". Let the user decide!

Oh yeh, while we're on the subject of incompatibilities with AmigaDOS, how
about adding one:

1> dir
.info                         49 rwed Future    20:56:47
c                            Dir rwed Future    07:07:43
System                       Dir rwed Future    07:10:03
l                            Dir rwed Today     20:59:08
devs                         Dir rwed Tomorrow  20:58:34
s                            Dir rwed Monday    20:59:30
ben.blish                    190 rwed Future    20:56:47
...                                   ^^^^^^^^^
                                      This column here is a little less
than informative. Would it be too much trouble to ask for something like
25-JUN-88? It'd fit in *exactly* the same space.
--
-- `-_-' Peter (have you hugged your wolf today?) da Silva.
--   U   Mail to ...!uunet!sugar!peter, flames to /dev/null.

steveb@cbmvax.UUCP (Steve Beats) (06/27/88)

In article <2174@sugar.UUCP> peter@sugar.UUCP (Peter da Silva) writes:

>Oh yeh, while we're on the subject of incompatibilities with AmigaDOS, how
>about adding one:
>
>1> dir
>.info                         49 rwed Future    20:56:47
>c                            Dir rwed Future    07:07:43
>System                       Dir rwed Future    07:10:03
>l                            Dir rwed Today     20:59:08
>devs                         Dir rwed Tomorrow  20:58:34
>s                            Dir rwed Monday    20:59:30
>ben.blish                    190 rwed Future    20:56:47
>...                                   ^^^^^^^^^
>                                      This column here is a little less
>than informative. Would it be too much trouble to ask for something like
>25-JUN-88? It'd fit in *exactly* the same space.
>--
>-- `-_-' Peter (have you hugged your wolf today?) da Silva.
>--   U   Mail to ...!uunet!sugar!peter, flames to /dev/null.
>-- "A foolish consistancy is the hobgoblin of little minds".

I think you meant the list command, not dir.  Anyway, all you have to do is
say "list dates" and all your yesterdays, todays, tommorows and futures will
be displayed numerically.

	Steve (RTFM) Beats

In article <4121@cbmvax.UUCP>, steveb@cbmvax.UUCP (Steve Beats) writes:
> In article <2174@sugar.UUCP> peter@sugar.UUCP (Peter da Silva) writes:
> >Oh yeh, while we're on the subject of incompatibilities with AmigaDOS, how
> >about adding one:
> >
> >1> list ; blush
> >devs                         Dir rwed Tomorrow  20:58:34
> >s                            Dir rwed Monday    20:59:30
> >ben.blish                    190 rwed Future    20:56:47
> >...                                   ^^^^^^^^^
> >                                      This column here is a little less
> >than informative. Would it be too much trouble to ask for something like
> >25-JUN-88? It'd fit in *exactly* the same space.

> I think you meant the list command, not dir.  Anyway, all you have to do is
> say "list dates" and all your yesterdays, todays, tommorows and futures will
> be displayed numerically.

> 	Steve (RTFM) Beats

I RTFM:

Options available:

	DATES	Displays dates in the form DD-MMM-YY (the default unless
		you use "QUICK").

	NODATES	Does not display date and time information.

Now then, this entry says that the default behaviour for the LIST command is
to list dates in the form DD-MMM-YY. It's one thing to say RTFM, but you have
to play with the options a bunch and figure out what they really mean. I never
hit this one.

I presume TFM will be improved for 1.3, so we can actually UTFM (understand
TFM) when we RTFM.

I'm not alone in this misapprehension, by the way. The ARP list command behaves
the way I thought the *real* list behaved. Neither behave the way the manual
describes. Oh well... ARP LIST joins ARP COPY in oblivion, and here's hoping
the next ARP LIST behaves the way the manual says...