[comp.sys.amiga] Announcing the creation of alt.sources.amiga.

amiga-sources (alt.sources.amiga @ Sugar Land UNIX) (06/28/88)

Q:  What is alt.sources.amiga?

alt.sources.amiga is a moderated newsgroup containing source code of
interest to Amiga programmers.  Submissions may be virtually any type
of program, in any language (for example, C, Modula-2, Forth, Draco,
FORTRAN, BASIC, Rexx, assembler, Icon, Sculpt and so on).

Q:  What can I post to alt.sources.amiga?

You can post source code to any non-trivial program that you or someone you
know has written that you think could be of use to others in the Amiga
community.  The code must be freely redistributable, and we would prefer
that you impose a minimum of restrictions on commercial reuse. We have no
problem with requests for money or credit, but outright shareware will
not be accepted. The code should do or demonstrate something useful, but
again this is not a hard requirement: particularly amusing (and small)
screen hacks and the like will be published.

Q:  Why alt.sources.amiga?  There is already a comp.sources.amiga.

The current moderators of comp.sources.amiga maintain an editorial policy
that we do not feel best serves the bulk of the Amiga *programmers* on
Usenet.  As moderators, this is their right.  As members of the alt
subnetwork, it is our right to provide this alternative channel.

Q:  Why not alt.sources?

Because alt.sources is not moderated and it's not specifically for Amiga
sources.

Q:  Why is alt.sources.amiga moderated?

We feel that by moderating the group we can maintain a high "signal-to-noise
ratio" by posting submissions that meet the guidelines and by, to some degree,
testing submitted code.  Our goal is to keep the advantages of a moderated
newsgroup while still providing quick turnaround of submissions.

Q:  My site doesn't get alt groups.

There are several ways to get alt groups.  See your site administrator for
more information.  If your site administrator won't carry alt groups, you
can get a signon on one of the many public access Unix systems that carry
the groups such as Portal and Well.  In any case, you can still get the code
from Fred Fish disks (all published alt.sources.amiga code will be forwarded
to Fred) or from comp.sources.amiga when they become available there.

Q:  Why you?

We feel it is necessary.  We feel we have the resources to do it right.

Call for sources:

We're now ready to accept sources for publication in alt.source.amiga
that meet the above guidelines.  To allow for the newgroup message to
propagate, source distribution will begin on July 9th.  The mail
address for submissions to alt.sources.amiga is:

	...!uunet!sugar!amiga-sources

Thank you.

Peter da Silva, Karl Lehenbauer.

woodsb@killer.UUCP (Brent L. Woods) (06/28/88)

In article <2196@sugar.UUCP> amiga-sources (alt.sources.amiga @ Sugar Land UNIX) writes:

 >Q:  Why alt.sources.amiga?  There is already a comp.sources.amiga.
 >
 >The current moderators of comp.sources.amiga maintain an editorial policy
 >that we do not feel best serves the bulk of the Amiga *programmers* on
 >Usenet.

     Oh, really?  This comes as news to me.  What editorial policy are
you referring to, Mr. da Silva?  How do you feel that said "policy"
does not (if I may paraphrase you) "best serve the bulk of the Amiga
*programmers* on Usenet?"

     Also, you use the first person plural pronoun.  To whom does this
refer?

 >We feel that by moderating the group we can maintain a high "signal-to-noise
 >ratio" by posting submissions that meet the guidelines and by, to some degree,
 >testing submitted code.  Our goal is to keep the advantages of a moderated
 >newsgroup while still providing quick turnaround of submissions.

     This is what we (Pat, Rob, and I) try to do.  If you wish to do
testing *and* try to achieve a quick turnaround, I wish you luck.
Personal experience has proven to me that that would *literally* be a
full time job.

 >Q:  My site doesn't get alt groups.

 [...]
 >to Fred) or from comp.sources.amiga when they become available there.

     Unfortunately, any source posted to alt.sources.amiga will *not*
become available through comp.sources.amiga.  We (the moderators) feel
that posting the same thing to both groups would be a needless
duplication of effort, as well as being a waste of net bandwidth (an
issue currently being debated hotly in news.admin).  Also, since the
above mentioned source will neither be tested nor posted by the
comp.sources.amiga moderators, we will not archive it in either of our
archives (the current one at Purdue, and the soon-to-be-established
public UUCP archive at killer.UUCP).

--
     Brent Woods, Co-Moderator, comp.{sources,binaries}.amiga

USENET:  woodsb@killer.UUCP
USNAIL:  320 Brown St., #406  /  W. Lafayette, IN  47906
MABELL:  +1 (317) 743-8421

ain@s.cc.purdue.edu (Patrick White) (06/29/88)

[I'd follow-up to alt.admin, but we don't get it.. and I think some of what I
 have to say is of general interest to people who might use this group]

In article <2196@sugar.UUCP> amiga-sources (alt.sources.amiga @ Sugar Land UNIX) writes:
>Q:  Why alt.sources.amiga?  There is already a comp.sources.amiga.
>
>The current moderators of comp.sources.amiga maintain an editorial policy
>that we do not feel best serves the bulk of the Amiga *programmers* on
>Usenet.  As moderators, this is their right.  As members of the alt
>subnetwork, it is our right to provide this alternative channel.

   Our policy of posting anything provided it does not crash, isn't an
advertisement, and, if it is a demo, might be useful to someone, seems
to me like it serves the *programmers* of the net more so that yours.. but
providing the alt group is indeed your right, and we certainly won't stand
in the way or try to make trouble for you.

>Q:  My site doesn't get alt groups.
>
>There are several ways to get alt groups.  See your site administrator for
>more information.  If your site administrator won't carry alt groups, you
>can get a signon on one of the many public access Unix systems that carry
>the groups such as Portal and Well.  In any case, you can still get the code
>from Fred Fish disks (all published alt.sources.amiga code will be forwarded
>to Fred) or from comp.sources.amiga when they become available there.

   In keeping with all the noise you have been making in news.admin about
getting rid of binaries groups to save net.bandwidth, we decided that it
would be a colossel *waste* of bandwidth to have things posted twice.
   Therefore, we won't post anything that has already shown up in this alt
group... and since we can't be sure of what will be posted there, we won't
be archiving it either (basically, we are going to treat this group the
same way we treat sources posted to comp.sys.amiga).

>The mail address for submissions to alt.sources.amiga is:
>	...!uunet!sugar!amiga-sources

   From what I am told, many sites don't recogonize the moderatedness of
alt groups.. so please, if you have submissions, help Peter out and send
them to him directly instead of posting them to the group... it will help
keep confusion down and everything organized.

   [Ya know Peter, based on what you tell us in mail and what you do on the
    net, I really should flame you... but instead I'll just ask that you
    show us a bit of courtesy from time to time.]

-- Pat White   (co-moderator comp.sources/binaries.amiga)
ARPA/UUCP: j.cc.purdue.edu!ain  BITNET: PATWHITE@PURCCVM  PHONE: (317) 743-8421
U.S.  Mail:  320 Brown St. apt. 406,    West Lafayette, IN 47906
[How do you get to heaven?   Go to Pluto and hang a left.]