[comp.sys.amiga] A2000 & NFS

hans@nlgvax.UUCP (Hans Zuidam) (06/27/88)

Has someone experience with using an A2000 and Ameristar's Ethernet/NFS
package using a Sun as fileserver for software development purposes.

I would like to know something about topics like:

	. Can I run without a local harddisk? (but use two floppies)
	. How much memory do you need? (2MB, 4MB, more :-) )
	. Do GURUs have impact on the Suns?
	. How easy is it to configure/maintain?

					Thank you,

--
Hans Zuidam                                    E-Mail: hans@nlgvax.UUCP
Philips Data Systems,                          Tel: +31 40 892288

In article <228@nlgvax.UUCP> hans@nlgvax.UUCP (Hans Zuidam) writes:
> Has someone experience with using an A2000 and Ameristar's Ethernet/NFS
> package using a Sun as fileserver for software development purposes.

Do it all the time.

>I would like to know something about topics like:
>	. Can I run without a local harddisk? (but use two floppies)
  Yes, the Amiga 2000 I have is set up with two floppies and 3 MB of ram.
  It used to have one floppy and that worked fine as well but running
  diskcopy was a pain :-)

>	. How much memory do you need? (2MB, 4MB, more :-) )
  I use 3Mb and that is fine, haven't tried it with 1Mb but the internet
  stuff is pretty tight code so I don't think it would take to long.

>	. Do GURUs have impact on the Suns?
  No. Since NFS is stateless no activity on the client can disturb the
  filesystem of the server.

>	. How easy is it to configure/maintain?
  There was a brief period while I was figuring out which machine I wanted
  to mount and how to set up some routes to it, but after that I put the
  stuff into my startup-sequence and forgot about it.

>Hans Zuidam                                    E-Mail: hans@nlgvax.UUCP

The only "problem" on the horizon is that 1.3 uses a bunch of the file
protection bits and these don't map well to UNIX protection bits so after
copying a file from the NFS disk to the floppy you may find it protected
from Delete.

--Chuck McManis