[comp.sys.amiga] B2000 memory

paladin@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (90709000) (06/24/88)

     I posted a similar message a while ago, but no one answered the
questions, so here goes again.  The B2000 is upgradable to 8 megs, but
does it have to be put onto an expansion card, or can it be placed directly
on the motherboard?  And are 150ns chips optimum for the B2000, or are
0-wait chips even better?  And is the relative price increase worth it?
What about 1meg chips (as opposed to the 256K ones)?  Will future boards/
whatever be able to use these chips now that they're more cost-effective
than the 256K ones?  If so, how long (estimated) before such hardware
comes out?
                                        _____           _____           ____
For information about our anime        // __           //___           //
subtitling efforts, write us          //__//roup      ____//anta      //___ruz
at the following address:             309 Cedar Suite 42, Santa Cruz, CA 95060
                   "If you care about a dream enough, make it into a reality."
ARPA : paladin@ucscb.ucsc.edu             UUCP: ...!ucbvax!ucscc!ucscb!paladin
                      BITNET: paladin@ucscb@ucscc.BITNET

                                        _____           _____           ____

lphillips@lpami.van-bc.UUCP (Larry Phillips) (06/27/88)

In <3906@saturn.ucsc.edu>, paladin@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (90709000) writes:
 >     I posted a similar message a while ago, but no one answered the
 >questions, so here goes again.  The B2000 is upgradable to 8 megs, but
 >does it have to be put onto an expansion card, or can it be placed directly
 >on the motherboard?  And are 150ns chips optimum for the B2000, or are
 >0-wait chips even better?  And is the relative price increase worth it?
 >What about 1meg chips (as opposed to the 256K ones)?  Will future boards/
 >whatever be able to use these chips now that they're more cost-effective
 >than the 256K ones?  If so, how long (estimated) before such hardware
 >comes out?

  They have to be placed on an expansion card. Have you looked at the
motherboard at all? 8 megs if a fair chunk of real estate, even using 1
MBit chips.

  On an Amiga, 150 ns chips _are_ 0-wait chips.

  1 MBit chips are definitely better from a real estate point of view.
Currently, 256K chip memory boards hold 2 megs per board, though that is
not the maximum that can be placed on a single expansion board. With 1 MBit
chips, you can have the entire 8 megs on one board easily. ASDG makes/sells
an 8 meg board that takes 1 MBit chips.

-larry

--
If all the MSDos machines were laid end to end,
  they still wouldn't be as fun as a single Amiga.

daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (06/29/88)

in article <3906@saturn.ucsc.edu>, paladin@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (90709000) says:

>      I posted a similar message a while ago, but no one answered the
> questions, so here goes again.  The B2000 is upgradable to 8 megs, but
> does it have to be put onto an expansion card, or can it be placed directly
> on the motherboard?

It's gotta go on an expansion card.  Several companies make such cards.

> And are 150ns chips optimum for the B2000, or are 0-wait chips even better?

Either a board design (I assume you're thinking of a blank expansion board here)
will or won't work with a DRAM of a specific speed.  If the manufacturer
specifies 150ns DRAMs, 120 or 100ns parts won't buy you anything.  It's very
possible to build an A2000 memory board using 150ns DRAMs that's also 0 wait
state.  Though even there, 0 wait state doesn't always mean 0 wait state -- there
are often other factors involved, so for many designs, what you really get is
"0 wait state, unless X happens, then we do Y, and we're back to 0".  Or some
such.

> And is the relative price increase worth it?

Don't buy a more expensive part if you're sure a cheaper one is fully
adequate.

> What about 1meg chips (as opposed to the 256K ones)?  Will future boards/
> whatever be able to use these chips now that they're more cost-effective
> than the 256K ones?

Again, depends on the board design.  I've seen current boards for the Amiga
using one or the other.  Most 2 meg boards use 256K x 1 parts.  Most of the 4
or 8 meg boards I've seen used 1 meg RAMs, just to fit.  One 8 meg board
used SIMM modules.

> If so, how long (estimated) before such hardware  comes out?

It's been out for some time now.  Commodore has 2 meg and 8 meg RAM boards.
ASDG has 2 meg and 8 meg RAM boards.  Microbotics has a 2 meg board for
the A1000 that can go into an A2000 with an adaptor, and I think they're
coming out with an 8 meg board.  Progressive Peripherals is coming out with
an 8 meg board.  Micron has a 2 meg board.  Digitronics has a 4 meg board
that also fits the A500.  And I'm probably missing one or another.  Most
boards also work with less memory than their total, and some are available
blank (at least ASDG) or in even kit form (Digitronics, maybe others).

--
Dave Haynie  "The 32 Bit Guy"     Commodore-Amiga  "The Crew That Never Rests"
   {ihnp4|uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!daveh      PLINK: D-DAVE H     BIX: hazy