[comp.sys.amiga] is there a better speech synthesizer than SAY?

drraymond@watdragon.waterloo.edu (Darrell Raymond) (06/23/88)

   I'm looking for a speech synthesizer (PD or commercial) that
can be configured to sound "more natural" than SAY.  What bothers me
is not SAY's inflection or pronunciation, but the quality of its audio.
Can anybody enlighten me on how to avoid this (or why it can't be avoided?)

alan@hprnlin.rnd.hp (Alan Harrington) (06/27/88)

>   I'm looking for a speech synthesizer (PD or commercial) that
>can be configured to sound "more natural" than SAY.  What bothers me
>is not SAY's inflection or pronunciation, but the quality of its audio.
>Can anybody enlighten me on how to avoid this (or why it can't be avoided?)

There is a program that will probably suit your needs.  Its called Smooth
Talker ("ported" from the Mac).  It sounds pretty good but tends to 'inflect'
a bit much for my liking.  It is worth a few good laughs though....

+-----------------------------------------+---------------------------------+
| -Al Harrington            ________      |       Instant Guru BBS          |
|                           |__/\__|      |        (916) 457-7176           |
|                                         |     60 Megs - All Amiga!        |
| ..ucbvax!hplabs!hprnlin!alan            |     GT Net/Node  005/002        |
| ..ucbvax!ucdavis!csusac!athena!haringtn |   Baud: 1200/2400 Hours: 24     |
+-----------------------------------------+---------------------------------+
|  All comments are *MINE*   Instant Guru BBS may be held responsible  :^)  |

vkr@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu (Vidhyanath K. Rao) (06/30/88)

In article <8940009@hprnlin.rnd.hp>, alan@hprnlin.rnd.hp (Alan Harrington) writes:
> There is a program that will probably suit your needs.  Its called Smooth
> Talker ("ported" from the Mac).
Will this pronounce the entire gamut of sounds used by the major languages?
I have been looking for one. For one thing I want to show an example of a
true voice synthesizer. There are a lot of people out there who don't know
how many languages there are, and use 'universal' with no regard to meaning.

kim@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) (06/30/88)

In the 1.3 version of AmigaDOS, there is supposed to be something
called "speak:".  It is supposed to do a better job than "say", but
I've not heard anything more about it.

1.3 ... coming soon (RSN) to a dealer near you ...

/kim

--
UUCP:  kim@amdahl.amdahl.com
  or:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,uunet,oliveb,ames}!amdahl!kim