[comp.sys.amiga] Follow up to Questions

melnik@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ofer Melnik) (06/28/88)

One more question...

If a Supra SCSI adaptor finds an error (or is told of an error)
does it automatically map it as bad, so that AmigaDos still sees
the device as one logical hard disk. (I know the Wedge PC adaptor
DOES NOT)

Thanks,

Ofer Melnik

--
Ofer Melnik                          Rutgers University
                                     melnik@topaz.rutgers.edu

lphillips@lpami.van-bc.UUCP (Larry Phillips) (06/30/88)

In <Jun.27.21.59.12.1988.8038@topaz.rutgers.edu>, melnik@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ofer Melnik) writes:
 >If a Supra SCSI adaptor finds an error (or is told of an error)
 >does it automatically map it as bad, so that AmigaDos still sees
 >the device as one logical hard disk. (I know the Wedge PC adaptor
 >DOES NOT)

 Well, the Wedge doesn't, and it does. It depends on the controller and the
revision of the formatter and driver you are using. The latest version of
the formatter, when used with a DTC controller (5150 or 5160), allows you
to inform the controller of bad blocks and to have the controller format
those tracks as bad, asigning alternates in their place. These alternates
are accessed in place of the bad track, and is done transparently to the
system.

 >Thanks,

    You're welcome

 >Ofer Melnik

    -larry

--
If all the MSDos machines were laid end to end,
  they still wouldn't be as fun as a single Amiga.