[comp.sys.amiga] Addresses

johnk@pro-pac.CTS.COM (John Krause) (06/20/88)

Could someone tell me if Micro Systems Software and Electronic Arts are on the
net? If so could you send me their addresses? Thanks!

                                Mahalo and Aloha
                                John
UUCP: crash!pnet01!pro-simasd!pro-pac!johnk
U.S. Mail: John C. Krause 92-982 Kanehoa Loop, Ewa Beach, HI 96707

thad@cup.portal.com (06/22/88)

For all the good it'll do, MSS' and EA's "addresses" might as well be:

             /dev/null

(or "NIL:" if you're attempting to send from your Amiga)

EA hasn't even used their (free?) account on The WELL for over a year,
although Mitsu Hadeishi has done a decent job defending EA on The WELL in
the Amiga section ("EA: my company, right or wrong." :-)

Lest anyone get the wrong idea, I recently broke my own long-standing rules
and purchased TWO EA titles recently (Interceptor, and DeLuxe PhotoLab).
Interceptor running from a HD is much more palatable (still cannot sink that
%%$^$% commie sub, though (any hints?))

harald@leo.UUCP ( Harald Milne) (06/24/88)

In article <6747@cup.portal.com>, thad@cup.portal.com writes:
> Lest anyone get the wrong idea, I recently broke my own long-standing rules
> and purchased TWO EA titles recently (Interceptor, and DeLuxe PhotoLab).
> Interceptor running from a HD is much more palatable (still cannot sink that
> %%$^$% commie sub, though (any hints?))

  Forget the sub, just kill all bogies in sight and wait for that magic
"Mission accomplished" message. The mission briefing is misleading.

  BTW, I've landed on the sub, and tried to turn on the deck to fire
into the tower. Alas, no turning radius. You can only land facing away
from the tower, in order to catch the cables to land.

  PS: I've never seen the submersible carrier submerse.

  PPS: PhotoLab is great!

--
Work: Computer Consoles Inc. (CCI), Advanced Development Group (ADG)
      Irvine, CA (RISCy business!)

root@leo.UUCP ( Big Brother) (06/24/88)

In article <3185@leo.UUCP>, harald@leo.UUCP ( Harald Milne) writes:
>   BTW, I've landed on the sub, and tried to turn on the deck to fire
> into the tower. Alas, no turning radius. You can only land facing away
> from the tower, in order to catch the cables to land.

  I forgot to say, you can refuel and rearm on that enemy sub!

blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) (06/28/88)

From article <3185@leo.UUCP>, by harald@leo.UUCP ( Harald Milne):
> In article <6747@cup.portal.com>, thad@cup.portal.com writes:
>> Interceptor running from a HD is much more palatable (still cannot sink that
>> %%$^$% commie sub, though (any hints?))
>
>   Forget the sub, just kill all bogies in sight and wait for that magic
> "Mission accomplished" message. The mission briefing is misleading.

Yep, that's the ticket for this mission, but...

This mission is inconsistant, I've killed several MIGs, and two cruise
missles, strafed the sub, landed on the sub, and still not recieved the
"mission completed" message. But I killed three MIGs in a row, and was
told that I had won (never saw any cruise missles though).

>   BTW, I've landed on the sub, and tried to turn on the deck to fire
> into the tower. Alas, no turning radius. You can only land facing away
> from the tower, in order to catch the cables to land.

I've done it. The deck of the sub is short and low (70' as I remember),
so come in real slow. Shut down on the deck of the sub once you've
landed. (Did you get the "refueled & rearmed" message? Friendly enemy!)
With the hook down, the brakes on, and the stick hard left or right, go
to 10% power. The F18 will slowly swing around. You might have to jocky
around a bit, but I was able to get pointed right at the tower. Six
missiles and 500 rounds from the cannon did nothing. You can't hurt the
sub.

The only use I can see for the "sub" is to re-arm if you waste all your
weapons on the MIGs and cruise missiles. It beats flying clear back to
the Enterprise!

Have you bagged a MIG with guns? It's possible, but you have to be nearly
on top of him. You do get a tone for "guns locked on", but things are
moving so fast, it's nearly worthless. Don't waste a missile in a head
on shot. The closing speed is 1200 knots, and I've only got one kill
doing that, the missiles just get lost. My tactic now is to come in
under the MIG with guns armed. As he comes over I hit the brakes and
pull inverted, trying to track him with the guns (it actually worked
once). Then go to missiles and splash him.

Has anyone else wondered why the AMRAMMs with a range "of over 30 miles"
won't lock unless you're within 5-8 miles? There doesn't seem to be any
difference between them and the Sidewinders.

>   PS: I've never seen the submersible carrier submerse.

Yep, the thing just sits there. I think it's a cardboard cutout, like
the army's new decoy tanks.  :-)
--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland    540 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
UUCP Addresses:  {ihnp4,ucbvax,allegra,decvax}!decwrl!esunix!blgardne

thad@cup.portal.com (07/01/88)

Just a quick followup:

I've managed to land on the commie sub the long way (approach from its
front, so as to stop facing the conning tower (??)), and even stopped on
the elevator platform (nothing happened).

Discovered, too, that one need NOT "sink" the sub, just vanquish any and
all Migs and cruise missiles.