[comp.sys.amiga] ALT as Meta-key in microemacs - DONT!!!!!!!

kasper@csli.STANFORD.EDU (Kasper Osterbye) (06/21/88)

In article <6684@cup.portal.com> Skywalker@cup.portal.com writes:
|Peter da Silva complains:
|
|>Why don't any of the Micro emacses implement REAL meta keys? Both the IBM-PC
|>and the Amiga have these nice ALT keys in a real convenient spot, just ready
|>for use as a metakey. Do the implementors really prefer hitting ESC, or have
|>they just forgotten that ESC is just a kludge?
|
|I have mg2a set up on my 1000 with the alt keys working (apparently completely)
|as true meta keys. It requires 2 non-standard setups:
|  1) compile using the "-dUSE_METAKEY" option; and
|  2) you must use one of the alternate keymaps (usa0 for the 1000) that
|     has the ALT key setting the high-order bit (just like v1.1 of AmigaDog).
|     The default keymap has ALT mapping to a foreign alphabet with "dead" keys
|     and all that other annoying stuff.
|
|	hope this helps.
|			scott
|
|P.S. The default key map change was the first "bug" in v1.2 (ie: it was NOT
|     better than v1.1).
|(no .signature yet)

If you make any program of any sort, and especialy an editor, I beg that
you do not redefine the ALT Key. The ALT key accesses the foreign characters,
and I like editors that allows me to write my own name!!!.

IF there is no way around redefine the function of the ALT key - do NOT at
the same time fix the keymap used!!!.

--Kasper Osterbye
(There should have been a "/" through the "O", but....)

:
:IF there is no way around redefine the function of the ALT key - do NOT at
:the same time fix the keymap used!!!.

	I've been (listening?) to this discussion and can only take delight
in the fact that my creation, DME, does exactly the right thing!  It uses
DeadKeyConvert() for unmapped keys, qualifier+key codes for mapped keys.

	So one has physical dependancies for mapped keys, standard keymap
for unmapped keys (thus fully supports foreign keymaps).

					-Matt

In article ... kasper@csli.STANFORD.EDU (Kasper Osterbye) writes:
> Peter da Silva complains:

> >Why don't any of the Micro emacses implement REAL meta keys? Both the IBM-PC
> >and the Amiga have these nice ALT keys in a real convenient spot, just ready
> >for use as a metakey. Do the implementors really prefer hitting ESC, or have
> >they just forgotten that ESC is just a kludge?

> If you make any program of any sort, and especialy an editor, I beg that
> you do not redefine the ALT Key. The ALT key accesses the foreign characters,
> and I like editors that allows me to write my own name!!!.

Good point. Would you mind using the Right-Amiga key as the Meta key, then?
OOPS, that blows out the menu shortcuts. How about the Left-Amiga key, then?
Or the help key? Or any other key?

i.e.: Make it user-configurable.

> IF there is no way around redefine the function of the ALT key - do NOT at
> the same time fix the keymap used!!!.

I don't think that was the idea, though...
--
-- `-_-' Peter (have you hugged your wolf today?) da Silva.
--   U   Mail to ...!uunet!sugar!peter, flames to /dev/null.

lah@raybed2.UUCP (LANCE HOLMES) (06/24/88)

In article <2159@sugar.UUCP>, peter@sugar.UUCP (Peter da Silva) writes:
> In article ... kasper@csli.STANFORD.EDU (Kasper Osterbye) writes:
> > Peter da Silva complains:
>
> > >Why don't any of the Micro emacses implement REAL meta keys? Both the IBM-PC
> > >and the Amiga have these nice ALT keys in a real convenient spot, just ready
> > >for use as a metakey. Do the implementors really prefer hitting ESC, or have
> > >they just forgotten that ESC is just a kludge?

One solution, although I hate to sound like a commercial, is to use
a program like Zing!keys where you can define Alt + somekey to send a different
escape sequence.  I purchased Zing!keys for use with Microemacs and it also
allows you to use the keypad as a seperate key sequence.

Lance Holmes

michael@stb.UUCP (Michael) (07/02/88)

I just checked this out, and ...

The usa1 (default 1.2 keymap) allows all the characters to be generated,
using dead keys for accents, etc. The usa0 (default 1.1 keymap) allows
all the characters to be generated, using the number, punctuation, and
shift keys to do it.

The conclusion? The usa1 keymap is more convenient for users (all those
odd looking vowels are based on the vowel key), the usa0 keymap is
more convenient for certain editors (because alt now sets the 8th bit,
which is what meta- is supposed to do), and both methods are equally
powerful.

My 2 cents? Type "setmap usa0" before running emacs. What? Emacs enforces
its own idea of what the keymap should be? Now that would be a bad thing.
(Note: I don't know if emacs actually does enforce its own keymap, but
it should listen to whatever the user has set)

				Michael
: ---
: Michael Gersten			 uunet.uu.net!denwa!stb!michael
:				sdcsvax!crash!gryphon!denwa!stb!michael
: What would have happened if we had lost World War 2. Well, the west coast
: would be owned by Japan, we would all be driving foreign cars, hmm...