[comp.sys.amiga] F/A-18 Interceptor flight computer

rusty@hocpa.UUCP (M.W.HADDOCK) (07/01/88)

In article <278@laic.UUCP> wilson@nova.laic.uucp (Robin Wilson) writes:
>In article <3019@louie.udel.EDU>, smith@nrl-aic.arpa (Russ Smith) writes:
>
>> First, copy protection. I thought that the use of a "code wheel" was a
>> good way to protect misuse of a program while at the same way allowing
>> infinite copies/hard-disk versions. Electronic Arts has managed quite
>
>Why doesn't somebody out there just write a quick and dirty program that
>simulates the code wheel.  At the very least you would have a backup
>incase yours got lost or stolen.  If someone were really clever they
>could write one that multitasks with interceptor so that the "cardboard"
>one would no longer be needed.
>
>R.D. Wilson  (My views.....etc.)  "Just a wild hair up my ***."

Hey, simulating the wheel is not that hard to do!

Anyhoot, THE PROBLEM IS....  it appears that the game takes over
the machine.  I thought I'd get this program run from POPCLI-type
hot key and hit it when the program asked for the code but it
didn't woik.  If hotkey doesn't go then what computer are you
gonna run the program on to get the codes?

Alternatively, my program modified (like I've already done:-)
could produce a handy table and instructions.  Right now I've got
a problem with distributing a program that has "copyrighted" data
in it.  Well, at least that's the way I'm looking at it right now.

You're welcome to write if you're interested....

			-Rusty-

P.S.  I had the program running to "simulate" the code wheel
before I even put the game disk into the drive.  Doing the wheel
was almost as fun as the game...  'cept when I nuked EA!  Smoke
even came out of the building!!!

P.P.S.  Has anyone ejected "unsuccessfully"???  I was doing well
over Mach 1, flying upside-down, 100-ft over SF Bay, and ejected
successfully.  Right!!!
----
Rusty Haddock {uunet!likewise,cbosgd,rutgers!mtune}!hocpa!rusty
AT&T Consumer Products Laboratories - Human Factors Laboratory
Holmdel, New Joyzey 07733   (201) 834-1023  rusty@hocpa.att.com
--

In article <340@hocpa.UUCP>, rusty@hocpa.UUCP (M.W.HADDOCK) writes:
> In article <278@laic.UUCP> wilson@nova.laic.uucp (Robin Wilson) writes:
> >Why doesn't somebody out there just write a quick and dirty program that
> >simulates the code wheel...

> Anyhoot, THE PROBLEM IS....  it appears that the game takes over
> the machine. [...] If hotkey doesn't go then what computer are you
> gonna run the program on to get the codes?

How about the original Low Cost Word Processor? Just copy the codes down onto
a peice of paper and paste them in the back of the manual. I can understand
that it's sexier to go with the high-tech solution, but I really don't grok
why it's so important.

Since I'm sure you have an editor and a printer, you could even go high tech
and still have the convenience of a manual!
--
-- `-_-' Peter (have you hugged your wolf today?) da Silva.
--   U   Mail to ...!uunet!sugar!peter, flames to /dev/null.