[comp.sys.amiga] Cabels

news@spies.UUCP (07/02/88)

Here's an interesting delima. I have an Apple Imagewriter, an Amiga 500
and lots of hope. But no luck. I cant connect the two through the Parallel
port without a special cable, converter, etc. What's the easiest wat
(way) to connect these two, without much $$$ or hassle?

I heard Redmand cable was my best shot, but cant get the p. Number.

!spies!fatcat!Jeremy

-Jeremy A. Moskowitz

jdm@gryphon.CTS.COM (John Mesiavech) (07/04/88)

In article <342@spies.UUCP>  writes:
>Here's an interesting delima. I have an Apple Imagewriter, an Amiga 500
>and lots of hope. But no luck. I cant connect the two through the Parallel
>port without a special cable, converter, etc. What's the easiest wat
>(way) to connect these two, without much $$$ or hassle?
>
>I heard Redmand cable was my best shot, but cant get the p. Number.
>
>-Jeremy A. Moskowitz

     Jeremy;

The Apple Imagewriter is a SERIAL printer.  There are three ways out of your
dilemna, in order of increasing cost they are:

1)  Get an Amiga -> ImagewriterII cable (Or Amiga->Imagewriter, depending),
    connect to your serial port, set Preferences accordingly, and enjoy.
    Total cost, about $29.95 for the cable.

2)  If you have something else hanging off your serial port, then you need
    a serial switchbox.  Cost, around $129 new, below $100 at swap meets.
    You'll also need that Amiga -> Imagewriter cable.  Make sure that the
    switchbox you get has all 25 wires wired through.

3)  You need to hang it off your parallel port for some unknown reason.
    You'll need a parallel ->serial converter (cost about $175 for a good one)
    and that Amiga -> Imagewriter cable.  make sure that the converter you
    get has at minimum 2K on it's board for a printer buffer..or else things
    take FOREVER.

John

--

0-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-> All disclaimers apply; I didn't write this <-=-=-=-=-=-0