[comp.sys.amiga] Hard Drive setup for A1000

admiral%m-5@Sun.COM (Michael Limprecht SUN Microsystems Mt. View Ca.) (06/25/88)

I've been looking into putting a Hard disk on my A1000 but am reluctant
to pay the $800-$1000 for 20 meg storage.

I was thinking of buying a Supra or C ltd. adaptor unit then getting a SCSCI
controller and hard disk separately but haven't found much literature on
these adapter units.

Questions would be:
1. Know of any place in the Bay Area where I can see a Supra or C ltd unit?

2. What kind of SCSI controllers/drives to they support?

3. Has anybody else out there done this and what are your results?

4. Is it worth the time and trouble for the bucks I might save?

Thanks for any help I may get.

barrett@ektools.UUCP (Chris Barrett) (06/28/88)

In article <57845@sun.uucp>, admiral%m-5@Sun.COM (Michael Limprecht SUN Microsystems Mt. View Ca.) writes:
> I've been looking into putting a Hard disk on my A1000 but am reluctant
> to pay the $800-$1000 for 20 meg storage.
>
> I was thinking of buying a Supra or C ltd. adaptor unit then getting a SCSCI
> controller and hard disk separately but haven't found much literature on
> these adapter units.
>
> Questions would be:
> 1. Know of any place in the Bay Area where I can see a Supra or C ltd unit?

	Sorry I don't know this one, look in a AmigaWorld, the have pictures.

> 2. What kind of SCSI controllers/drives to they support?

	I know they both support the Adaptec ACB-4000A and the C.Ltd supports
	the ACB-4070A (not sure about the Supra), and the Supra, I believe
	supports the OMTI boards also (not sure about the C.Ltd).

> 3. Has anybody else out there done this and what are your results?

	I had success using the C.Ltd controller/software with the Adaptec
	ACB-4000A SCSI -> ST506/412 interface with a Seagate 4038 hard drive.
	I got the C.Ltd interface from Abel Supply $200, the Adaptec board from
	Computer Surplus for $89.00 in Milipatas (sp?) CA, and the power
	supply/cabinet for 2 full height drives for $109.00 from Walker
	Electronics in Texas.  The hard drive I got as surplus locally for
	$200.00.  The only problem that I had was that the hard drive was
	not grounded properly, so it would crash a lot.  Since grounding it,
	it has been functioning properly for the last three months with out a
	problem. The above mentioned establishments advertise in Computer
	Shopper.  I have no affiliation with them except that I ordered stuff
	from them without a problem.

> 4. Is it worth the time and trouble for the bucks I might save?

	You add it up!  I thought so, and would do it again.  There are a lot
	of good prices for the above things, it's hard to pass up.  I even
	have room for expansion in my cabinet, and the ACB-4000A board can
	support 2 hard drives and the C.Ltd software can support the two
	drives on the board as well.

> Thanks for any help I may get.

	Any time.

	Chris.

...rochester!kodak!ektools!barrett

thad@cup.portal.com (07/01/88)

The Supra supports Adaptec 4000A (MFM) and Adaptec 4070 (2,7 RLL), and two
drives on each Adaptec.  Been using these for over a year without any
problems.  The Supra also supports Omti and Miniscribe SCSI translator/
controllers.

Since you're in the Bay Area, look me up in the Hacker's Kitchen at the
July 5 FAUG meeting in Palo Alto, and we can discuss these matters.

cheung@vu-vlsi.Villanova.EDU (Wilson Cheung) (07/03/88)

     Anyone looking for a cheap SCSI hard disk for the A1000 should
seriously consider the very cheap Pioneer Computing Hardisks.  One might
think that because of the low price they might be a bit more flaky than
the more established C Ltd and Supra drives.  However, it turns out that
the controller they are selling with their SCSI drives IS A CLTD controller.

			Wilson Cheung

Mike_Sirius_Stilson@cup.portal.com (07/04/88)

Are they shipping them RLL formatted, also?

	-Mike Stilson