[comp.sys.amiga] Icon manipulation programs.

mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) (06/14/88)

> *Excerpts from ext.nn.comp.sys.amiga: 4-Jun-88 Re: Fixed (mostly)*
> *doug-merritt@cup.portal. (718)*

> Chuck McManis writes:
> >There was another program on the net, but I don't know if it is on a
> >fish disk, that will change the "type" of an icon from TOOL, to PROJECT
> >to DISK etc. Any one of the icon tools should be appropriate.

> I'm pretty sure it *was* on a fish disk, but I don't recommend it;
> there are two formats for icon files, and the utility in question will
> only change the type field, without concern for the rest of the format.
> Thus it will certainly break some things. It'd be easy to fix if anyone
> cares.

There are actually three versions of "IconType" on the Fish Disks.  One of them
is included as part of the "XIcon" distribution on Fish Disk 120, and was
written by Pete Goodeve.  Another version is on Fish Disk 69 and was written by
Larry Phillips.  The third is on Fish 137 and is written by Stephen Vermeulen.

I tried the Fish Disk 69 version on an icon I had constructed from a Dpaint
brush to change it to a Drawer.  The resulting icon crashed Workbench every
time I clicked on it (frozen mouse pointer, reboot time).

As a public service, here is a list of all icon-manipulating programs on the
Fish Disks, courtesy of Carolyn Scheppner's GetFish command:

================
DISK: 12

IconExec        Tools which allow execution of a program from an
                icon without having to recompile the program.
                Author: John Toebes VIII

SetAlternate    Merge the images from two icons to produce one icon with
                a primary image, and a possibly completely different image
                to display when selected.
                Author: John Toebes VIII

================
DISK: 56

Icon2C          Reads an icon file and writes out a fragment of C code
                with the icon data structures, for inclusion in a
                larger program.
                Author:  Carolyn Scheppner

================
DISK: 69

IconType        Change the type of an icon after editing with IconEd.
                Types are Disk, Drawer, Tool, Project, Garbage, and Device.
                Includes source.
                Author:  Larry Phillips

================
DISK: 71

IconMk          Iconmaker builds icons for files that were created without
                them.  Version 1.2a, binary only.
                Author:  Eric Levy

================
DISK: 85

ImageTools      A set of shareware tools, submitted by the author, to
                do various manipulations on IFF images, including comparison
                of the color palettes of a pair of IFF images, filtering
                an IFF image in various ways, producing a color usage
                frequency chart for an IFF image, reducing the size of
                an IFF image to produce a miniature to use as an icon,
                converting an icon to an IFF image, and recoloring an IFF
                image using the palette of a second image, in a least
                squared error fashion.  Shareware, binary only.
                Author:  Stephen Vermeulen

================
DISK: 87

AutoIconOpen    Example code to fool WorkBench into thinking it is receiving
                mouse inputs that select and open icons.  This is version
                1.2, an update to the version on disk number 73.  Includes
                source.
                Author:  Tony Wills

================
DISK: 101

IconAssembler   This program loads existing WorkBench icon files and
                allows you to change either the primary or alternate
                images to another image loaded from an IFF-brush file.
                Binary only.
                Author:  Stefan Lindahl

================
DISK: 102

Xicon           Xicon lets you use icons to call up scripts containing CLI
                commands.  This is version 2.00, an update to the version
                first released on disk 31, and includes close gadgets, window
                size specification, text display capability, plus more.
                Binary only.
                Author: Pete Goodeve

================
DISK: 113

NoIconPos       This program clears the position info of any of your icons
                to allow WorkBench to pick a reasonable place for the icon
                again. Useful for disk and drawer icons where Snapshot
                rewrites the icon and the window information. Written in
                Modula-2, another demo for M2Amiga, showing the simplicity
                of programming with this Modula-2 compiler.
                Author: Markus. Schaub

================
DISK: 120

IconImage       Program to replace an old icon image with a new image,
                without affecting icontype, drawer data, etc.
                Includes source.
                Author:  Denis Green

================
DISK: 137

Sit             An update to the Set Icon Type program from disk 107.
                Version 1.10, includes source.
                Author:  Stephen Vermeulen

================

Michael Portuesi / Information Technology Center / Carnegie Mellon University
ARPA/UUCP: mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu                     BITNET: rainwalker@drycas

"if you ain't ill it'll fix your car"

phil@titan.rice.edu (William LeFebvre) (06/25/88)

There's at least one icon manipulation program that hasn't been written
yet.  If no one else does it anytime soon, I may set out to do it (but I
don't have much Amiga hacking experience---maybe it would be a good "first
real project" right after "hello, world").

There are a few crazed loonies out in the real world that like to read
black characters on a light background.  No, I'm not a Mac user...I'm
primarily a Sun user.  As a result, my workbench colors are completely
different from the "standard" set.  I use a black foreground and a light
tan-colored background.  I have my other colors set to red and blue.  That
makes my text windows look okay, but the icons look terrible!  I have
edited the more common ones using iconed to make them look better.  But
what I would really like to see is an icon tool that shuffles the colors
around.  For example:  swap colors 1 and 3 and colors 2 and 4 (or more
accurately, swap the pixels associated with those colors), or any user
specifiable permutation.  This would make it easy to "import" icons into
my non-standard environment and have them look reasonable.  The program
wouldn't change the shapes, just the "color value" for each pixel in the
image.  It should be able to handle merged icons as well (those with a
completely different "selected" bitmap).

Did that make sense?  Has anyone ever thought of this before?  It doesn't
sound very hard to me.  Does everyone *really* use white on blue?

By the way, I have also changed the cursor colors so that the snooze cloud
is pure white.  Looks great on a tan background!  Now if I could just
change the cloud itself......(and if it could just be available to
everyone).....Isn't that coming in 1.4?

			William LeFebvre
			Department of Computer Science
			Rice University
			<phil@Rice.edu>

jimm@amiga.UUCP (Jim Mackraz) (06/27/88)

In article <1554@kalliope.rice.edu> phil@Rice.edu (William LeFebvre) writes:
[...]

Another big advantage of dark on light, is that the dark horizontal
inter-line gaps only dice up light things.  So rather than having
striated characters that look like something from CGA, you get a
horizontal texture to your background and full characters: looks real
sharp.

I have thought about an icon manipulation program.  If you are starting
on one, consider adding a feature to mix an icon image down to two
colors, in case you ever wanted them to look good on a two-color workbench.

'Nuff said.

I wonder if Butcher would handle this.

)By the way, I have also changed the cursor colors so that the snooze cloud
)is pure white.  Looks great on a tan background!  Now if I could just
)change the cloud itself......(and if it could just be available to
)everyone).....Isn't that coming in 1.4?

Dunno.  Too soon to tell. ;^)

)			William LeFebvre
)			Department of Computer Science
)			Rice University
)			<phil@Rice.edu>

Department of CS?  You should be able to get the icon munger written.
If you're faculty, tell a graduate student to write it, or tell an
undergraduate that he'll get "extra credit" if he writes it.  If you're
an undergraduate, ask a faculty member if they'll give you extra credit
to write it.  If you are a graduate student, write it because it is
good for your soul, and you're supposed to be able to do anything, on
any computer.  If you're a non-teaching employee, try this approach on one.

--
	Jim Mackraz, I and I Computing
	amiga!jimm	BIX:jmackraz

hull@hao.ucar.edu (Howard Hull) (07/04/88)

It would indeed be nice to have light-on-dark to dark-on-light general
purpose object color shuffler for icons.

More so even than that, I need a color shuffler for Digiview.  I acquired
the par port plug-in module (dongle), the documentation, and a disk (which
upon close inspection seems to have a label made on a black and white
electrographic copier) as used "software" for my A1000 from a Denver dealer.
The order in which this version of Digiview (2.0) places the colors is
absolutely terrible!  Why did they do it that way?  (It's interleaved).
Does anyone know if this is any different in the new (RSN) version of
Digiview (3.0)?  Does "Butcher" fix up this kind of mess?  If so, who
markets Butcher?
						Howard Hull
						hull@hao.ucar.edu