[comp.sys.amiga] Suggestion for New Graphics Chips

gregb15@pro-charlotte.cts.com (Greg Beckham) (06/25/88)

 I have a suggestion for the new graphics chip (really obese agnus?)... To
have a graphics mode with 256 colors on screen from a pallette of 4096.
Interlace or Non-Interlace. Nuff' Said.

             Greg Beckham

UUCP: [ ihnp4 cbosgd sdcsvax nosc ] !crash!pro-charlotte!gregb15
ARPA: crash!pro-charlotte!gregb15@nosc.mil
INET: gregb15@pro-charlotte.cts.com

In article <3150@crash.cts.com> (Greg Beckham) writes:
> I have a suggestion for the new graphics chip (really obese agnus?)... To
>have a graphics mode with 256 colors on screen from a pallette of 4096.
>Interlace or Non-Interlace. Nuff' Said.
>             Greg Beckham

An excellent suggestion, except that 256 - 12 bit color registers is
roughly 25,000 transistors, which in a 3 micron techonology is 225
square mils and that may not fit into Denise any more. There is a way
however, and that involves taking all of the D/A stuff out of Denise
and putting it into a separate RAMDAC. (Brooktree makes a really nice
one, Apple uses it I believe). Then, one could make the video color
resolution what ever they wanted. Just depends on how much they want
to spend on the DAC. At the higher resolutions these things get pretty
hot so we might need fins on the back of the case.

The original suggestion though bears repeating, lets get more colors
even if it is only in the 'high end' machines.

--Chuck McManis

oconnor@csb8.steinmetz (Dennis M. O'Connor) (06/29/88)

An article by cmcmanis@sun.UUCP (Chuck McManis) says:
] In article <3150@crash.cts.com> (Greg Beckham) writes:
] > I have a suggestion for the new graphics chip (really obese agnus?)... To
] >have a graphics mode with 256 colors on screen from a pallette of 4096.
] >Interlace or Non-Interlace. Nuff' Said.
] >             Greg Beckham
]
] An excellent suggestion, except that 256 - 12 bit color registers is
] roughly 25,000 transistors, which in a 3 micron technology is 225
] square mils and that may not fit into Denise any more.

(please read as if said with "incredulous surprise", not "flaming")

"3 micron" technology ? Are you kidding ? GE's semi-custom ASICs
are available in 1.25 micron.  Performance Semiconductor or
IDT ( Integrated Device Technologies ) are, I believe, offering
1 micron foundry services. Even MOSIS offers a "1.25 micron"
( really equivalent to 2 micron ) service.

Are the new Amiga chips really being done in a technology that's been
obsolete for at least three or four years ? I know Commodore has it's
own in-house fab lines it wants to use, but haven't they put any money
into improving their process lately ? 1.25 micron would allow 5 times
as many devices in the same area.

Smaller-dimensioned circuits are denser, cooler, and faster. I
can't tell you GE's yeilds, but its surprisingly high for
150,000 transistor chips ( that info is Company Confidential ).
And available to Commodore if they want to use it. I hope the
Amiga doesn't become a victim of the NIH syndrome.

Sorry if this seems like an add for GE Semiconductor : I didn't
mean it to be. But I can't see why the Amiga's new chips would
be limited by obsolete technology, when much better is available
to anyone who wants it. But of course, I have NO idea of the
factors involved in C-A's decision making, so this is NOT a flame.
--
 Dennis O'Connor   oconnor%sungod@steinmetz.UUCP  ARPA: OCONNORDM@ge-crd.arpa
    "Never confuse USENET with something that matters, like PIZZA."

daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (07/02/88)

in article <11415@steinmetz.ge.com>, oconnor@csb8.steinmetz (Dennis M. O'Connor) says:

> "3 micron" technology ? Are you kidding ? ...

> Are the new Amiga chips really being done in a technology that's been
> obsolete for at least three or four years ? I know Commodore has it's
> own in-house fab lines it wants to use, but haven't they put any money
> into improving their process lately ? 1.25 micron would allow 5 times
> as many devices in the same area.

The current Amiga chips were done in old NMOS.  So based on that, you
would have lots of trouble adding in many of the things that have been
proposed here on the net.  Then again, we don't do any new designs in 3
micon NMOS.  However, you can't just take a complex NMOS design, at any
level, and crank out the same thing in 1.25 micron CMOS.  You might do
better changing processes with ASICs, since most commercial ASICs are
standard cell or gate arrays, and are basically process independent.  But a
full custom design is a mass of transistors and a by-hand layout (unless
you've got a silicon compiler).  Most layouts aren't scalable, though folks
are moving in that direction.  In any case, to put the Amiga chips, as is,
into a smaller process, you'd have to do lost of new layout.  If you're going
to CMOS as well (and you would be), that's a complete circuit redesign.

>  Dennis O'Connor   oconnor%sungod@steinmetz.UUCP  ARPA: OCONNORDM@ge-crd.arpa
>     "Never confuse USENET with something that matters, like PIZZA."
--
Dave Haynie  "The 32 Bit Guy"     Commodore-Amiga  "The Crew That Never Rests"
   {ihnp4|uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!daveh      PLINK: D-DAVE H     BIX: hazy

tws@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Thomas Sarver) (07/02/88)

In article <3150@crash.cts.com> gregb15@pro-charlotte.cts.com (Greg Beckham) writes:

> I have a suggestion for the new graphics chip (really obese agnus?)... To
>have a graphics mode with 256 colors on screen from a pallette of 4096.
>Interlace or Non-Interlace. Nuff' Said.
>
>             Greg Beckham

Make that a pallette of 16 million.  Its only 24-bit pallette registers.  I
agree that 8 bit planes are a minimum for the 1990's.

Gotta keep up with the Mac II, even if were already superior from the inside
out.

BTW, how about the setup the Mac II uses, have one card do multi-modes and just
add memory when you want more bit-planes. Economical, let the consumer decide
how much power he/she wants.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
But hey, its the best country in the world!
Thomas W. Sarver

"The complexity of a system is proportional to the factorial of its atoms.  One
can only hope to minimize the complexity of the micro-system in which one
finds oneself."
	-TWS

Addendum: "... or migrate to a less complex micro-system."

doug-merritt@cup.portal.com (07/04/88)

Dave Haynie writes:
>The current Amiga chips were done in old NMOS. [...] you can't just take a
>complex NMOS design, at any level, and crank out the same thing in 1.25
>micron CMOS [...] a full custom design is a mass of transistors and a
>by-hand layout (unless you've got a silicon compiler). Most layouts
>aren't scalable                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
        ^^^^^^^^

This is comparable to the question of whether to write software in
assembler or in C. It's taken quite some years, but by now most companies
realize that by default, C should be first choice, with assembler used
only when absolutely necessary.

Similarly there has been quite a lot of resistence to using anything but
by-hand random logic for silicon. There are many people who sneer at the
mere notion of using even so much as (scalable!) Mead-Conway design rules.
For some cases, this makes sense, just as assembler sometimes does...
sometimes you need to squeeze as many gates as possible onto as little
real estate as possible, etc.

But not as often as some people think. In this day and age, it makes all
kinds of sense to use a silicon compiler as first preference. And they
*are* widely available. They can save vast amounts of development time.
The resulting silicon tends to have many fewer errors, reducing the
number of custom foundry runs needed to get a viable chip, and reducing
the support costs otherwise incurred by chips in the field with subtle
problems.

And you can always hand-optimize the layout after you've got working
silicon if you want to reduce the size or increase the speed or some such.

I'm sure Dave knows all this; I just cringe when I hear things like
"*if* you've got a silicon compiler". Everyone should have one!
(Everyone? Well, hobbyists need a Heathkit ASIC Foundry, too, I suppose :-)
	Doug
--
      Doug Merritt        ucbvax!sun.com!cup.portal.com!doug-merritt
                      or  ucbvax!eris!doug (doug@eris.berkeley.edu)