[comp.sys.amiga] Source/Binary Groups Encoding

plouff@nac.dec.com (Wes Plouff) (06/22/88)

Some time ago, following the posting of DNET-Unix as a TAR file, I
flamed the comp.sources/binaries.amiga moderators over the plethora of
file encoding and packaging methods they used in their postings.
I apologize to the moderators, especially to Pat White, who took the
time to listen to the criticism behind the flame.

Pat said (by mail) that except where directory structure needs to be
preserved, the moderators are now posting only shar files containing
straight source and uuencoded binary files.  Excellent!

Now, if the purdue-decwrl connection would only stop truncating articles
(sigh)...

--
Wes Plouff, Digital Equipment Corp, Littleton, Mass.
plouff%nac.dec@decwrl.dec.com

Amigas in Fiction! -- see _Analog_ Magazine, July 1988, p. 146.

rouaix@inria.UUCP (Francois Rouaix) (06/24/88)

In article <8806211453.AA20562@decwrl.dec.com>, plouff@nac.dec.com (Wes Plouff) writes:
> Pat said (by mail) that except where directory structure needs to be
> preserved, the moderators are now posting only shar files containing
> straight source and uuencoded binary files.  Excellent!

IMHO, excellent is not really appropriate...
Let's examine the Master_weave posting:
among the files were a picture and some pattern files.
ARC was able to compress the pattern files over 90%. This means that an
arc file containing all pattern files and uuencoded would have been less
6k large (just try it!), compared to the 100k+ of the 3 uuencode-shar
postings.
Amazingly, the picture file has also a very high compression ratio.

This is NOT a flame. I understand the motivations of having a unique and
simple archiving system, BUT sometimes...

And now for the suggestion:
I would like to find, from times to times, a posting that tells me what
the next postings on the moderated grousp are going to be.
Maybe every 10 'grouped' postings ?
--
*- Francois Rouaix                 //       When the going gets tough,       *
*- rouaix@inria.inria.fr         \X/           the guru goes meditating...   *

sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) (06/30/88)

In article <719@inria.UUCP> rouaix@inria.UUCP (Francois Rouaix) writes:
>IMHO, excellent is not really appropriate...
>Let's examine the Master_weave posting:
>among the files were a picture and some pattern files.
>ARC was able to compress the pattern files over 90%. This means that an
>arc file containing all pattern files and uuencoded would have been less
>6k large (just try it!), compared to the 100k+ of the 3 uuencode-shar
>postings.

This would only affect the disk space requirements, as most news sites
send news through batches compressed with compress(1). This gets about
the same compression as ARC.

As far as disk space goes, compressing these would have been a good idea,
saving disk space in the archives and in the spool directory.

I'd DEFINITELY like to see ARC phased out and zoo phased in. Zoo has a
lot less problems than arc (like not crashing your machine on a bad
archive), and a lot of advantages.

Sean
--
***  Sean Casey                        sean@ms.uky.edu,  sean@ukma.bitnet
***  The IPCF Roto-Rooter man.         {backbone|rutgers|uunet}!ukma!sean

gay%CLSEPF51.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (David Gay) (07/01/88)

>From: Sean Casey <sean@e.ms.uky.edu>
>
>I'd DEFINITELY like to see ARC phased out and zoo phased in. Zoo has a
>lot less problems than arc (like not crashing your machine on a bad
>archive), and a lot of advantages.

Well, I acutally had Zoo do that (crash on a bad archive ...). That was
version 1.71B (Haven't really used 2.0 yet).

>Sean
>--
>***  Sean Casey                        sean@ms.uky.edu,  sean@ukma.bitnet
>***  The IPCF Roto-Rooter man.         {backbone|rutgers|uunet}!ukma!sean
>***  U of K, Lexington Kentucky, USA   Internet site? "talk sean@g.ms.uky.edu"
>***  ``I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.''

---
David Gay                           Studying Computer Science at the EPFL,
                                    Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne,
How do you invent a signature ?     Switzerland.

GAY@ELDE.EPFL.CH, or
GAY@CLSEPF51.bitnet (till August)

ain@s.cc.purdue.edu (Patrick White) (07/05/88)

In article <719@inria.UUCP> rouaix@inria.UUCP (Francois Rouaix) writes:
>I would like to find, from times to times, a posting that tells me what
>the next postings on the moderated grousp are going to be.
>Maybe every 10 'grouped' postings ?

   Hmmm.. that's got possibilities.. I'll talk to Rob and Brent and see what
they think.. *currently* this could be done pretty easily, but things are
moving and so may be changing (but more on this moving stuff at a later time).

-- Pat White   (co-moderator comp.sources/binaries.amiga)
ARPA/UUCP: j.cc.purdue.edu!ain  BITNET: PATWHITE@PURCCVM  PHONE: (317) 743-8421
U.S.  Mail:  320 Brown St. apt. 406,    West Lafayette, IN 47906
[How do you get to heaven?   Go to Pluto and hang a left.]