[comp.sys.amiga] DNET and DECserver200 problems

rmf%Ins.MRC.AdhocNet.CA%Stasis.MRC.AdhocNet.CA%UNCAEDU.@CORNELLC.CCS.CORNELL.EDU.BITNET (Russ Forster) (07/06/88)

>A1000 --> modem --> PACX multiplexor --> DECserver200 term. server --> UNIX
>
>The problem is that the DECserver keeps seeing "Unknown characters" whenever
>I type anything to it, so I cannot log onto UNIX.
>
>       Can anyone suggest what might be wrong?  Thanks.

        There is a possibility that the server is seeing a "local switch"
        or other type of "switch" command.  Try setting the server session
        to PASSALL or PASTHRU.  Below is an extract from the server itself.

SET SESSION

Use SET SESSION to specify the amount of  data  transparency  for  your  current
session.  Normally an interactive terminal requires nontransparency, which means
that the server responds to  the  server  switches  and  XON/XOFF  flow  control
characters.   In contrast, personal computers involved in file transfers require
transparency, and these special characters must be  disabled  for  the  session.
SET SESSION creates data transparency for the current session.

SET SESSION {INTERACTIVE}
            {PASSALL    }
            {PASTHRU    }

Additional help available for:

INTERACTIVE         PASSALL        PASTHRU

>--
>Dan Barrett    ins_adjb@jhunix.UUCP
>               barrett@cs.jhu.edu

-----
Russell M. Forster

Mount Royal College        DECnet: RMF @ { Admin | Flux | Stasis | Ins }
Computer Operations        BITnet: RForster @ UncaEdu.BITnet
4825 Richard Rd. S.W.      USEnet: uunet!calgary!vaxa!forster
Calgary, Alberta           Pnet:   (403) 240-6052
T3E 6K6

guilford@lansoar.steinmetz (jim guilford) (07/06/88)

In article <880705174344.04a@Ins.MRC.AdhocNet.CA> rmf%Ins.MRC.AdhocNet.CA%Stasis.MRC.AdhocNet.CA%UNCAEDU.@CORNELLC.CCS.CORNELL.EDU.BITNET (Russ Forster) writes:
>>The problem is that the DECserver keeps seeing "Unknown characters" whenever
>>I type anything to it, so I cannot log onto UNIX.

I am having a similar problem with dnet. I am trying to talk to a unix
system running on a sun4. I am talking directly to it, not through an
intermediary.

My problem is that after logging in and "dnet"ing, I get the first
terminal window. It starts displaying stuff as it should be, but then
stops (I would get it gets one packet but no more). At this point,
dnet seems to be jammed, and all I can do is BREAK it, and try again.
It seems somehat non-deterministic, although I have had much better
success by imbedding the dnet on the unix side in a "script
/dev/null". I have no idea why this works (imbedding it in another csh
doesn't seem to help).

I would guess that the problem is on the unix end, but I really don't
know. I would like to dnet more often, but it is a pain when I have to
fight with the system for a half-hour just to get it started. Although
once I do get it past the initial hurdle, it seems to work fine.

Anybody have an idea on what is going on or how I can fix it???

--JimG
guilford@turing.cs.rpi.edu