[comp.sys.amiga] CBM 1084 monitor problems

lfk@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Lynn Kerby) (07/06/88)

[To refresh some memories, here is a summary of what has been posted on
 the subject of monitor problems ]

In Article 21455 of comp.sys.amiga:
>(1) In article <590@viscous> brianm@sco.COM (Brian Moffet) writes:
>> I have an Amiga 1000 which I bought way back in 1986 (Jan).
>> It has 512K RAM, 2 floppies, and a SNOY KV-1311CR
>> TV/Monitor.   Every now and then, I notice that the interlace
>> is not handled very well.  The odd lines look fine, but it seems
>> the interlaced even lines are half-3/4 intensity.  Perhaps this
>> is my way of getting EXTRA_HALFBRIGHT ? :-)
>>
>> If I turn off the computer and wait a while, then things seem
>> to go back to normal.  Has anyone seen this before?  Any ideas on
>> what might be causing it?
>
>(2) In article <3892@cbmvax.UUCP> grr@cbmvax.UUCP (George Robbins) writes:
>> Sounds like some bizarre problem with the Denise chip...
>
>(3) In article <557@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu> vkr@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu (Vidhyanath K. Rao) writes:
>> I have a 500 + 1084. Every once in a while, the display seems to use the
>> same data for two scan lines. A colon will look like a | with a small
>> hole in the middle. This is too transient to figure out what is going on.
>> But occurs at least once every time I turn the machine on.
>
>(4) In article <34140@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com> lfk@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Lynn Kerby) writes:
>> I seem to have just the opposite problem with my 500+1084, and I am
>> pretty sure it is the monitor's fault.  After I have had my monitor
>> on for about 15 minutes, one set of scanlines drops out for about
>> 15 minutes.  I leave the 500 on all the time, so the only thing that
>> has to deal with warm-up is the 1084.  I always run interlace on the
>> WB screen, and this is a real pain in the *ss (I get half of the display
>> data and all the flicker - making it just about unusable until it
>> warms up).
>>
>> Anyone else out there seen something similar with 1084's?
>
>I have a lemon500 + 1084. (However, I started to like my 500.)
>1084 always make strange noises, and it also has the problem (4).
>Sometimes the lower half is perfectly Ok, and only the upper half
>has the problem of dropping one set of scanlines.
>
>Is it really the problem of 1084 ? or the Denise chip ?
>
>Has anybody had this problem fixed by sending 500 or 1084 to a repair shop ?
>
>H.Tsukada
>Dept.Math.
>Rurtgers U.

Now to add to it once again.  I just purchased a 2000 and the same thing
happens as I posted above (number 4).  If this is a strange problem with
the Denise chip (as suggested by grr above), it must be a very common
problem!  Is someone from CBM looking into the problem as a 1084 problem?
Sounds (and looks) to me like the problem is that the 1084 is a lemon.

--
     Lynn Kerby  -  Amdahl Corporation
                    Sunnyvale, CA

Disclaimer: Any and all opinions expressed herein are my own and do not
            necessarily represent the views of anyone, especially my
            employer.

filip@alberta.UUCP (Don Filipchuk) (07/06/88)

In article <94J9R3caSH1010uGymc@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com> lfk@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Lynn Kerby) writes:
>[To refresh some memories, here is a summary of what has been posted on
> the subject of monitor problems ]

[ many problems discussed ]

   Hmmmm, I have a A500 + 1084, and have had no problems with it.
   In fact, I am on my Amiga right now (hooked up to my work terminal
   via a vt100 emulator).  The point?  I have had no problem with
   the 1084.   Is it larger (screen size) than the 1080 or is this
   just an illusion of the different casing style?

     Just confirming that there are some A500's that have not
     blown up yet...  :-)
      {  all I read on the net is horror stories ... }

                           Don

|      Don Filipchuk         | "... with human females, I must           |
|                            |    restrain myself too much.  They are    |
|   University of Alberta    |    quite fragile."                        |
|    Edmonton, Alberta       |                                           |
|          Canada            |             - Lt. Worf --                 |

vkr@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu (Vidhyanath K. Rao) (07/07/88)

To add more mystery to this subject:
This problem seems to be eased if there is a lot of scrolling. Today I
discovered by accident that if I iconify and then deiconify a window, things
look ok for a while. Since the display chips cannot be off in timing (I hope)
for memory access this points the finger at the monitor.
There was a man from you know where who blamed the external suppliers. This
obviously must relate to the 1084. May be CBM will allow us to upgrade to
2084. (When will it be out?)