[comp.sys.amiga] A1000 EXPANSION

horalek@Alliant.COM (Jim Horalek) (07/06/88)

[***RAID***]

Anyone have any experience with the Micron Two Slot expansion Chassis for
the A1000.  Micron guarenties that their board will work in it.
The Chassis is only $170 and would fit my needs if any of the DMA
hard disk controllers would work with it.  Anyone heard the status of the
Pacific P. Subsystem 1000.

                         thanks
                             Jim

CRONEJP%UREGINA1.BITNET@cornellc.ccs.cornell.edu (Jonathan Crone) (07/07/88)

Jim Horalek  <Horalek@alliant.com> writes:
>[***RAID***]
>
>Anyone have any experience with the Micron Two Slot expansion Chassis for
>the A1000.  Micron guarenties that their board will work in it.
>The Chassis is only $170 and would fit my needs if any of the DMA
>hard disk controllers would work with it.  Anyone heard the status of the
>Pacific P. Subsystem 1000.
>
>                         thanks
>                             Jim
I have the chassis along with a micron board (2 meg) installed.
i have an extra slot sitting there, completely empty because
their cage is not  a true Zorro II type of card cage... the easiest way
i can describe it (from my understanding that is....)
is that the cage, is a Zorro I card cage electrically, only with a
zorro II form factor.
My understanding was that zorro II cages have some sort of addressing
and buffering differences that are required on the cage so that the
card doesn't have them.....
And this Micron Cage has a lot of NOTHIng on the cage (just a PCB that
routes 86 pin signals to their 100 pin equivalents)

(I would REALLY appreciate CORRECTION on these points if i'm wrong)

anyways, the upshot of it is.... The cage only works with the micron
memory board.

I installed a Commodore A2052 2 meg ram board.... No dice....
an A2090 no dice (the 2090 was an interesting Fit, as the
micron board doesn't provide cut outs on the back for cards with extensions)
a Cltd controller, no dice etc. etc.
(i bent the sheet metal back on the cage to make the 2090 and the Cltd fit)
as a note, I purchased the cage with the power supply.

I hope you find this info interesting...

If any of the net could provide me with info on Zorro II cards that
WILL work in this stupid Card Cage i would REALLY appreciate it....

(especially if ASDG could mention if their Twin X would work as the
thoughts of that card have my pulse quickening....)

thanks.

JpC

Jonathan P. Crone
Vice President, AURA,  (Amiga Users of Regina Associated.)
(Regina, Sask. Canada )    (eh???)

CRONEJP@UREGINA1.BITNET
....uunet!mcl!cronejp

come on now....  does ANYONE give a damn about what i have to say?