[comp.sys.amiga] fonts less than 8 pixels wide?

lai@vedge.UUCP (David Lai) (07/02/88)

Has anyone experimented with fonts less than 8 pixels wide.  ie. how
about a 5x7 font in a 6x8 box (a popular size in old terminals).  What
I'd like to do is try to get more than 80 columns across a line (without
resorting to expansions of screens) and I thought a smaller font would
do it.  Any software out there that won't work with fonts smaller
than 8 across?  After I create this font with 'fed', how do I tell the
system to use this as the default font?

--
	"What is a DJ if he can't scratch?"  - Uncle Jamms Army
The views expressed are those of the author, and not of Visual Edge, nor Usenet.

In article <384@vedge.UUCP| lai@vedge.UUCP (David Lai) writes:
|Has anyone experimented with fonts less than 8 pixels wide.  ie. how
|about a 5x7 font in a 6x8 box (a popular size in old terminals).  What
|I'd like to do is try to get more than 80 columns across a line (without
|resorting to expansions of screens) and I thought a smaller font would
|do it.  Any software out there that won't work with fonts smaller
|than 8 across?

A-Talk Plus came (and A-Talk III will come) with a font that would give you
128 chars/line (and 132 with overscan).  Even more chars/line with an even
smaller font to simulate the smaller Tek font.  I have seen also a few small
fonts on Public networks.

|After I create this font with 'fed', how do I tell the
|system to use this as the default font?

There is a program called Setfont, which can be found everywhere (public
nets and fish disks).

-- Marco Papa 'Doc'
uucp:...!pollux!papa       BIX:papa       ARPAnet:pollux!papa@oberon.usc.edu
 "There's Alpha, Beta, Gamma and Diga!" -- Leo Schwab [quoting Rick Unland]

bilbo@pnet02.cts.com (Bill Daggett) (07/05/88)

lai@vedge.UUCP (David Lai) writes:
>Has anyone experimented with fonts less than 8 pixels wide.  ie. how
>about a 5x7 font in a 6x8 box (a popular size in old terminals).  What
>David Lai (vedge!lai@larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu || ...watmath!onfcanim!vedge!lai)

Online! supports a number of alternate fonts.  I just switched to 5 x 8 to see
what your message looked like - I had never tried this.  Well...  It is
difficult but not impossible to read.  Do you want to do this so you can
display 132 columns?  I can't recommend it but what do I know...?

Bill

UUCP: {ihnp4!scgvaxd!cadovax rutgers!marque}!gryphon!pnet02!bilbo
INET: bilbo@pnet02.cts.com
* Sometimes The Dragon Wins! * Still looking for the best Amiga BBS
software to resurrect Bilbo's Hideaway on - but not holding breath!

daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (07/08/88)

in article <384@vedge.UUCP>, lai@vedge.UUCP (David Lai) says:

> Has anyone experimented with fonts less than 8 pixels wide.  ie. how
> about a 5x7 font in a 6x8 box (a popular size in old terminals).  What
> I'd like to do is try to get more than 80 columns across a line (without
> resorting to expansions of screens) and I thought a smaller font would
> do it.  Any software out there that won't work with fonts smaller
> than 8 across?  After I create this font with 'fed', how do I tell the
> system to use this as the default font?

When using DNET, I like to have at least 80 columns across, but with a plain
8x8 font in the FTerm window that's impossible, at least without using any
overscan, since FTerm runs in a sizable window.  So I built this font, which
gives me 88 columns in a 640 pixel wide sizable window.  To install it on
your system, uudecode the ".uue" files and execute the execute.me script.
To use this as the default font, use my SetFont program (was posted here some
time ago, and it's also on a Fish Disk) or similar program.

As I'm only using this font for telecommunications, I only really did the
ASCII characters right -- the rest of the characters are probably not very
suitable for things like foreign languages.  This font looks best in black
letters on a light background.

#! /bin/sh
# This is a shell archive, meaning:
# 1. Remove everything above the #! /bin/sh line.
# 2. Save the resulting text in a file.
# 3. Execute the file with /bin/sh (not csh) to create the files:
#	8.uue
#	Execute.Me
#	Fterm.font.uue
# This archive created: Thu Jul  7 14:30:32 1988
export PATH; PATH=/bin:$PATH
if test -f '8.uue'
then
	echo shar: will not over-write existing file "'8.uue'"
else
cat << \SHAR_EOF > '8.uue'
begin 644 8
M   #\P         !              *    #Z0   H!P $YU           ,
M     !H/@  !
M           ,     !H     "9  "  "  < !P !   @_@   &X P@  !GX
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M@@ 01(BB)$D0($2(0"1(&S)$B1(D0A$B1(D0) @"% !@ @  @!( @  $ @
M      (       (" BXJA0@$(  , (0   B 'A@  F9LW"%PS&  A-">$
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M -FP!L ,  !ALV, #/__P' ;OF#9FV?##QXHS?GC#-^   ##88N   #8  /
M  !  D( '0 0@  # !A <$/C@0X<$'# P8$ (!!Q$\..'R XB.'$3Y$B.( 2
M(X(/""B(0^> 7@   .O#AX\0!(A")$(1(CB $@>"#P@HB!/APAP 50SYX^?/
MGP)X\>$"!"%"?/YSQX\?/@1AX(_&$!!\0>/H4(  >  $B<0  "*K:,&##9L8
M;-FP   ,  !@P ,& #8 V; &P P  &&S8P ,___ < ZP8-GYQ@,&#&QX P',
MP#]^_,-A@    '@                   8                #
M                                 'P       !X  '      ( 0
M   !X      J>       '                   ^   @ 8 <
M  #@0   B5>XP8,-FQALV;    P  &#  P8 -@#9L ; #   8;-C  S__\!P
M #     $ !^    "        P<      .          '  < !P .  < %0 '
M !P !P C  < *@ ' #$ !P X  < /P ' $8 !P!-  < 5  ' %L !P!B  <
M:0 ' '  !P!W  < ?@ ' (4 !P",  < DP ' )H !P"A  < J  ' *\ !P"V
M  < O0 ' ,0 !P#+  < T@ ' -D !P#@  < YP ' .X !P#U  < _  ' 0,
M!P$*  <!$0 ' 1@ !P$?  <!)@ ' 2T !P$T  <!.P ' 4( !P%)  <!4  '
M 5< !P%>  <!90 ' 6P !P%S  <!>@ ' 8$ !P&(  <!CP ' 98 !P&=  <!
MI  ' :L !P&R  <!N0 ' <  !P''  <!S@ ' =4 !P'<  <!XP ' >H !P'Q
M  <!^  ' ?\ !P(&  <"#0 ' A0 !P(;  <"(@ ' BD !P(P  <"-P ' CX
M!P)%  <"3  ' E, !P):  <"80 ' F@ !P)O  <"=@ ' GT !P*$  <"BP '
M I( !P*9  <"H  ' J< !P*N  <"M0 ' KP !P+#  <"R@ ' M$ !P+8  <"
MWP ' N8 !P+M  <"]  ' OL !P,"  <#"0 ' Q  !P,7  <#'@ ' R4 !P,L
M  <#,P ' SH !P-!  <#2  ' T\ !P-6  <#70 ' V0 !P-K  <#<@ ' WD
M!P.   <#AP ' XX !P.5  <#G  ' Z, !P.J  <#L0 ' [@ !P._  <#Q@ '
M \T !P/4  <#VP ' ^( !P/I  <#\  ' _< !P/^  <$!0 '! P !P03  <$
M&@ '!"$ !P0H  <$+P '!#8 !P0]  <$1  '!$L !P12  <$60 '!&  !P1G
M  <$;@ '!'4 !P1\  <$@P '!(H !P0V  <$D0 '!)@ !P2?  <$I@ '!*T
M!P2T  <$NP '!,( !P1+  <$R0 '!"$ !P30  <$UP '!-X !P3E  <$[  '
M!/, !P3Z  <% 0 '!0@ !P4/  <%%@ '!1T !P4D  <%*P '!3( !P4Y  <%
M0  '!4< !P5.  <%50 '!5P !P5C  <%:@ '!7$ !P5X  <%?P '!88 !P6-
M  <%E  '!9L !P6B  <%J0 '!;  !P6W  <%O@ '!<4 !P7,  <%TP '!=H
M!P7A  <%Z  '!>\ !P7V  <%_0 '    !P     #[     0         #@
2 $0   !<    8@        /R

end
SHAR_EOF
fi # end of overwriting check
if test -f 'Execute.Me'
then
	echo shar: will not over-write existing file "'Execute.Me'"
else
cat << \SHAR_EOF > 'Execute.Me'
makedir fonts:FTerm
copy 8 fonts:FTerm
copy FTerm.font fonts:
SHAR_EOF
fi # end of overwriting check
if test -f 'Fterm.font.uue'
then
	echo shar: will not over-write existing file "'Fterm.font.uue'"
else
cat << \SHAR_EOF > 'Fterm.font.uue'
begin 644 Fterm.font
M#P   49497)M+S@

end
SHAR_EOF
fi # end of overwriting check
#	End of shell archive
exit 0
--
Dave Haynie  "The 32 Bit Guy"     Commodore-Amiga  "The Crew That Never Rests"
   {ihnp4|uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!daveh      PLINK: D-DAVE H     BIX: hazy