[comp.sys.amiga] IFF -> icon translation

I recall a while ago a message about a program that translates Dpaint II
pictures or brushes to icons (merging pixels, etc...). Can anybody give
me any information on such a beast if it does exist?  It doesn't matter if it
is PD or commercial.  Please just e-mail to save net bandwidth.  I'll
summarize if appropriate. Thanks.

-- Marco Papa 'Doc'
uucp:...!pollux!papa       BIX:papa       ARPAnet:pollux!papa@oberon.usc.edu
 "There's Alpha, Beta, Gamma and Diga!" -- Leo Schwab [quoting Rick Unland]

Thanks to all that responded to my query about programs that translate
Dpaint pictures or brushes to icons. It turns out that there are 2 programs
that will do the job:

NGI by Kevin Bjorke -- This is a shareware ILBM translation program. It can
    translate ILBMs (pictures and brushes) to Images, Gels and Icons.
    Most BBSs and BIX have NGIDemo, a stripped down version of it, that
    unfortunately has the ILBM->Icon feature turned off.  Note also that
    the icon translation REQUIRES the original image to be a 2-bitplane one.
    One can get the full version for $25 from the author at:
    National Pixel Products, 25724 Salceda Rd., Valencia, CA 91355.

ZapIcon -- This is from the IFF disk which can be obtained from CBM together
    with the latest IFF manual, or is available as Fish Disk #64.  This is
    a great program that will translate to icons any image of any resolution.
    This is the program I ended up using. The program is also available
    under the name Brush2Icon.

Enjoy.

farren@gethen.UUCP (07/11/88)

In article <10369@oberon.USC.EDU> papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:
>I recall a while ago a message about a program that translates Dpaint II
>pictures or brushes to icons (merging pixels, etc...). Can anybody give
>me any information on such a beast if it does exist?

This is as good a time as any to announce the New, Improved, Vaporware
gi - the vastly improved version of my original ILBM - C source converter.
I've finally got both the time and the incentive to start work on the
thing (I need a more sophisticated conversion utility, so I might as
well write one myself), and am taking this opportunity to solicit your
comments and requests.  If there's something you've always wanted to see
in an ILBM - whatever converter, send me email letting me know what you'd
like.

Current design features:

 - fully Intuitionized, can be called from either Workbench or CLI
 - handles ANY IBLM image, including HAM mode or brushes
 - various output provisions:
   - different Image types, including sprite, Intuition Image structure,
     or compressed data (for overlaying graphics, or for very large images,
     with decompression routine provided)
   - source code output for C or assembler, including structure definitions
     if desired, and optional comments
   - object code output, ready to link, CHIP hunks if desired
   - Icon output, producing ready-to-use icons
 - handles any size image, up to full screen (possibly with overscan)
 - palette mapping, to allow different depth images to be used together.
   Specifically, this will process HAM images to the "best-fit" 32 color
   palette, and will allow images with different pallettes to be merged
   intelligently.
 - Editing facilities to allow basic editing of images
 - Intelligent capture facilities, to allow either the smallest possible
   image or a fixed-size image to be handled (i.e., when you "grab" an
   image to be converted, you can either grab a fixed-size chunk or a
   variable-sized chunk, and optionally cause the size of the image to
   be as small as possible, moving the borders as close to the image
   boundary as possible.

Anyhow, if you've got anything else you'd like to see in there, let me
know soon, as I plan on getting to work on this immediately.  I will NOT
promise a release date, though...

Note: email may have trouble with "gethen!farren", as gethen is not
currently in the maps, and since I'm moving soon, probably won't be.
If you have email trouble, try "well!farren" instead of "gethen!farren".

--
Michael J. Farren             | "INVESTIGATE your point of view, don't just
{ucbvax, uunet, hoptoad}!     | dogmatize it!  Reflect on it and re-evaluate