[comp.sys.amiga] Font strangeness

kim@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) (07/08/88)

In article <59047@sun.uucp>, cmcmanis%pepper@Sun.COM (Chuck McManis) writes:
> [ previous "problem" the Richard was having deleted ]
>
> This is the way it works, the font hangs out in memory until the very last
> second even after it has been closed. No checking of the fontfile datestamp
> is used to determine if a newer font is available. After editing and saving
> the font use flushlibs from the debug menu to clear the old font out of
> memory and then run showfont again.

Here's a different problem that I run into WRT fonts ... anyone have any
ideas ...?

Go into fonts: and edit my favorite font (Paula) with Fed (Paula is a modified
Pearl, which is a modified Topaz).

Now bring up vt100 v2.8, which allows you to specify the font you want to use.
Vt100 aborts, with a message to the effect "can't find font paula".

Vt100 *had* been up before the Fed editing session, and was using "paula" just
fine.  Now, it can't find paula ... not even the old version.  A reboot clears
the problem, and vt100 happily finds paula once again.

So ... does Fed expunge the old version from memory, and if so, why is it that
vt100 can't load a copy of the new version out of the fonts: directory?

No big problem with this, but I am curious about what I must be overlooking.

Thanks!

/kim

--
UUCP:  kim@amdahl.amdahl.com
  or:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,uunet,oliveb,ames}!amdahl!kim

acs@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Tony Sumrall) (07/09/88)

In article <95mqj0e0ec1010FeLr6@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com> kim@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) writes:
>Here's a different problem that I run into WRT fonts ... anyone have any
>ideas ...?
>
>Go into fonts: and edit my favorite font (Paula) with Fed (Paula is a modified
>Pearl, which is a modified Topaz).
>
>Now bring up vt100 v2.8, which allows you to specify the font you want to use.
>Vt100 aborts, with a message to the effect "can't find font paula".
>
>Vt100 *had* been up before the Fed editing session, and was using "paula" just
>fine.  Now, it can't find paula ... not even the old version.  A reboot clears
>the problem, and vt100 happily finds paula once again.
>
>So ... does Fed expunge the old version from memory, and if so, why is it that
>vt100 can't load a copy of the new version out of the fonts: directory?

Well, VT100R2.8 doesn't OpenDiskFont() so it will only find and use fonts
that are currently in memory.  That's fixed in 2.9...I don't remember about
the 2.8A (i.e. 2.8 patch) release.

>/kim
>UUCP:  kim@amdahl.amdahl.com
>  or:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,uunet,oliveb,ames}!amdahl!kim
--
Tony Sumrall acs@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com <=> amdahl!acs

[ Opinions expressed herein are the author's and should not be construed
  to reflect the views of Amdahl Corp. ]

wayne@utflis.UUCP (Wayne Young) (07/12/88)

In article <95mqj0e0ec1010FeLr6@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com> kim@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) writes:

>Now bring up vt100 v2.8, which allows you to specify the font you want to use.
>Vt100 aborts, with a message to the effect "can't find font paula".

	On a related note, VT100 v2.8 does the same thing when you I to set
the font to something that isn't also the system font.  For example, if I'm
using topaz 8 on the system and I try to fire up vt100 with a different font,
it will abort with the "can't find" message.

>  A reboot clears
>the problem, and vt100 happily finds paula once again.

	...this seems to be directly related to what I said above.. when you
boot, do you set the system font to paula?

--
-----
       {uunet,utzoo,decvax,allegra}!utcsri!utflis!wayne