[comp.sys.amiga] Conman1.1 Question

bilbo@pnet02.cts.com (Bill Daggett) (07/10/88)

Conman during my startup-sequence boot writes a T/Command-0-T01 filename that
contains the contents of s/start which is the remainder of my startup-sequence
located on dh0: after df0: hands off to it.  Why is this file Command-0-T01
written and can it be turned off?

Thanks.

Bill

UUCP: {ihnp4!scgvaxd!cadovax rutgers!marque}!gryphon!pnet02!bilbo
INET: bilbo@pnet02.cts.com
* Sometimes The Dragon Wins! * Still looking for the best Amiga BBS
software to resurrect Bilbo's Hideaway on - but not holding breath!

andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) (07/11/88)

In article <4792@gryphon.CTS.COM> bilbo@pnet02.cts.com (Bill Daggett) writes:
>Conman during my startup-sequence boot writes a T/Command-0-T01 filename that
>contains the contents of s/start which is the remainder of my startup-sequence

It's not Conman...its the Execute command.  The temporary file
is used for argument substitution, and for unwinding execute files
that call other execute files.  The easy way to avoid having
one of these under 1.2 is to cd to RAM: .  You should have a T directory
there.  The temp file will be created there, rather than on your permanent
disks.

			andy
--
andy finkel		{uunet|rutgers|amiga}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

"It is sad, but all too often, the source code to an assembly language program
 and an  uncommented disassembly of that program are identical."

bilbo@pnet02.cts.com (Bill Daggett) (07/11/88)

richard@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>In article <4792@gryphon.CTS.COM> bilbo@pnet02.cts.com (Bill Daggett) writes:
>>Conman during my startup-sequence boot writes a T/Command-0-T01 filename that
>>contains the contents of s/start which is the remainder of my startup-sequence
>>located on dh0: after df0: hands off to it.  Why is this file Command-0-T01
>>written and can it be turned off?
>>
>>Thanks.
>>
>>Bill
>
>Nobody knew this on LAUUG BBS or PNET ?

Richard, don't you have better things to do then jump on people, insulting
them to death?  I can't delete the message or I would.  I got a polite letter
from someone who cares more then you do.  BTW, do you do anything constructive
or is it always destructive like this.  Why don't you take yourself off
comp.sys.amiga too!

In answer to your question:  I haven't asked anyone on LAAUG-Line or P-Net
about why Conman writes a file called Command-0-T01 in T/.  It turns out from
Larry's input that Execute does this and not Conman.

My apologizes to bothering the Net with my trivial dribbles of trouble.
Someday I hope to post something worthy of your attention that various local
"brats" can leave me alone concerning - if they don't know the answer.

Bill

UUCP: {ihnp4!scgvaxd!cadovax rutgers!marque}!gryphon!pnet02!bilbo
INET: bilbo@pnet02.cts.com
* Sometimes The Dragon Wins! * Still looking for the best Amiga BBS
software to resurrect Bilbo's Hideaway on - but not holding breath!

hawes@dino.ulowell.edu (Bill Hawes) (07/11/88)

[Bill Daggett asks about a strange Command-xxx file created during startup]

The command file you noted was not created by ConMan, but by the execute
command.  The AmigaDOS scripting language uses temporary files whenever
in needs to process arguments passed to the batch file, ot when you call
one script from another.  The temporary file is the way DOS captures the
current "state" -- it simple reads ahead in the stream and appends it to
the end of the new script file.

This probably first came about when you rearranged your startup to get
ConMan up and going as soon as possible.  You should be able to just pass
the secondary startup as the FROM argument to a NewCLI (or a NewWSH, if
you are so blessed); the FROM script file will never generate a temp file.

   -Bill Hawes

In article <4799@gryphon.CTS.COM> bilbo@pnet02.cts.com (Bill Daggett) writes:
>richard@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>>In article <4792@gryphon.CTS.COM> bilbo@pnet02.cts.com (Bill Daggett) writes:
>>>Conman during my startup-sequence boot writes a T/Command-0-T01 filename that
>>>contains the contents of s/start which is the remainder of my startup-sequence
>>>located on dh0: after df0: hands off to it.  Why is this file Command-0-T01
>>>written and can it be turned off?
>>>
>>>Thanks.
>>>
>>>Bill
>>
>>Nobody knew this on LAUUG BBS or PNET ?
>
>Richard, don't you have better things to do then jump on people, insulting
>them to death?

Sure I do. However, thats not thre point. I wasnt jumping of you, it
was a perfectly valid question.

But asking a million people so you'll get 20 responses back in three days
to a question that a lot of people figured out long ago (although
I can't rememebr ther answer, I long since stoped using execute
in favour of Matt's C shell which doesnt pull such crazy stunts)
when you have other resources at your disposal which are *much* more
likely to get you the answer you want, and much faster, too seems
a more judicious approach.

To summerize: try PNET first, then, if nobody cares or knows
try USENET.

This is known as making the best use of a vlualable, scarce and
precious resourse.

>I can't delete the message or I would.

Just let me know. I can delete it for you.

>I got a polite letter
>from someone who cares more then you do.

Since you have no idea how much I care, dont go making subjective value
judgements regarding such, if you please.

This is known as not pissing me off.

>BTW, do you do anything constructive

Yes.

>or is it always destructive like this.

It wasnt destructive Bill, I was merely suggesting an approach that
might get you an answer quicker.

>Why don't you take yourself off comp.sys.amiga too!

Now Bill, don't get mad. Bad nettiquette.

>In answer to your question:  I haven't asked anyone on LAAUG-Line or P-Net
>about why Conman writes a file called Command-0-T01 in T/.  It turns out from
>Larry's input that Execute does this and not Conman.

See how much easier that was ?

>My apologizes to bothering the Net with my trivial dribbles of trouble.
>Someday I hope to post something worthy of your attention that various local
>"brats" can leave me alone concerning - if they don't know the answer.

I knew that execute wrote command-t-01 to t: but had no idea where
conman fit into all this. Rather than give you bad or misleading advice
I suggested you post it on PNET.

You see, Bill, and no insultg is intended here, so don't take it too
personally, but that is a question that 99.9% percent of USENET
figured out the seconf dasy they had their amigas. Most of the stuff
on USENET is (or is supposed to be) of a more technical nature.

Now, the general level of technical expertise on BBS's is more
aply suited to this kind of question.

We've told you before Bill, so once more with feeling:

1) ASK ME OR HARD, OR APL

2) IF THAT DOESNT WORK, ASK PNET:AMIGA/GENERAL

3) IF THAT DOESNT WORK, ASK AMIGA/USENET WITH A LA OR CA DISTRIBUTION

There really is no point in asking people in Korea why your startup-script
acts funny, or would you disagree ?

Notice also that my original commment had a local distribution. This means
that it will only go to this site. Your followup went ALL OVER THE WORLD.
This wasnt free.

This article also has a local distribution and will only go to this site.

You CAN do this from pnet. I suggest you learn how to use it.

Have a nice day.

--
      If you were to flatten out Wales, it would be bigger than England.
richard@gryphon.CTS.COM                               {backbone}!gryphon!richard