[comp.sys.amiga] does rebooting the bridgecard do bad things to the amiga side ?

grwalter@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Fred Walter) (07/17/88)

I have a Rev 4.3 B2000 and a Rev 2 Bridgecard.
I am running a vanilla Workbench 1.2 (with the bridgecard stuff added).
I am getting my bridgecard window by "run pcwindow color" in my
Startup-Sequence. I have the pcwindow setup so that it comes up on my
workbench screen.

When I reboot the bridgecard (ctrl-alt-del) it reboots fine; however if I
try to do anything in the original AmigaDos window while the reboot is
taking place the CLI starts seeing the characters from the keyboard as if I
pressed ALT+that key. (I.E. I press 'a' and the CLI echos 'ALT-a'). If I
play with the ALT key and typing ALT-characters the problem goes away.
The problem doesn't seem to show up on customs screens (I.E. I currently
have a WB screen, with the PCwindow and the AmigaDos window, and a second
screen. The problem occured in the AmigaDos window and did not occur with
the second screen.).

My questions are :
	Is this a known bug ?
	Is this a harmless bug ?
	Can anybody out there reproduce this ?

Thanx, Fred

grwalter@watcgl.uwaterloo.ca                  (Canadian domain)
grwalter@watcgl.waterloo.edu                  (US Internet, including CSNET)
grwalter@watcgl.waterloo.cdn                  (CDNnet and some European nets)
watmath!watcgl!grwalter                       (UUCP)
uunet!watmath!watcgl!grwalter                 (another UUCP alternative)
grwalter%watcgl.waterloo.edu@csnet-relay.arpa (ARPA)

rszinn@dahlia.waterloo.edu (Scotte Zinn) (07/17/88)

In article <5214@watcgl.waterloo.edu> grwalter@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Fred Walter) writes:

>When I reboot the bridgecard (ctrl-alt-del) it reboots fine; however if I
>try to do anything in the original AmigaDos window while the reboot is
>taking place the CLI starts seeing the characters from the keyboard as if I
>pressed ALT+that key. (I.E. I press 'a' and the CLI echos 'ALT-a'). If I
>play with the ALT key and typing ALT-characters the problem goes away.
>The problem doesn't seem to show up on customs screens (I.E. I currently
>have a WB screen, with the PCwindow and the AmigaDos window, and a second
>screen. The problem occured in the AmigaDos window and did not occur with
>the second screen.).

I have the same problem (if not similar).  I run the bridgecard with
run pcwindow color and some times, probably after a CTRL-ALT-DEL reset of the
PC come to think of it, that when returning to the Amiga side, I get no
response out of any keys that I press.  LEFT-AMIGA ESC won't get me a newcli
when it used to.

I am running a 2000 with 1.2, bridgecard (8088), 20M hard drives on each of
the Amiga and PC, DMouse 1.07.

>Thanx, Fred
>
>grwalter@watcgl.uwaterloo.ca                  (Canadian domain)

Scotte Zinn
rszinn@dahlia.waterloo.edu or
watmath!dahlia!rszinn

grwalter@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Fred Walter) (07/18/88)

In article <7799@watdragon.waterloo.edu> rszinn@dahlia.waterloo.edu (Scotte Zinn) writes:
>In article <5214@watcgl.waterloo.edu> grwalter@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Fred Walter) writes:
>>When I reboot the bridgecard (ctrl-alt-del) it reboots fine; however if I
>>try to do anything in the original AmigaDos window while the reboot is
>>taking place the CLI starts seeing the characters from the keyboard as if I
>>pressed ALT+that key. (I.E. I press 'a' and the CLI echos 'ALT-a'). If I
>>play with the ALT key and typing ALT-characters the problem goes away.
>>The problem doesn't seem to show up on customs screens (I.E. I currently
>>have a WB screen, with the PCwindow and the AmigaDos window, and a second
>>screen. The problem occured in the AmigaDos window and did not occur with
>>the second screen.).
>
>I have the same problem (if not similar).  I run the bridgecard with
>run pcwindow color and some times, probably after a CTRL-ALT-DEL reset of the
>PC come to think of it, that when returning to the Amiga side, I get no
>response out of any keys that I press.  LEFT-AMIGA ESC won't get me a newcli
>when it used to.

I played some more and got the same problem. Typing ^\ (the console
end-of-input character) fixes it. For some reason something (pcwindow
probably) is screwing up something (perhaps with the keyboard/console
handler).

	fred