[comp.sys.amiga] "Empire" game reviewed

kent@xanth.cs.odu.edu (Kent Paul Dolan) (07/12/88)

My news reading has been a bit spotty recently, so forgive me if a
review has already been published for Empire.  Anyway, here goes mine.

"A STAR FLEET Planetary Campaign" EMPIRE "Wargame of the Century",
Amiga version 2.03, published by by interstel (tm), written by Walter
Bright and Mark Baldwin.  Includes game disk, quick command reference
card, and 70 page manual.  "Word in manual" copy protection.

First, for those who have played the Unix(tm) version, this is the
same game, but considerably simpler, since only cities do production,
and the only production is combat units.

Second, this is a _long_ game, just like the original.  One person can
take out two computer opponents in about 26 hour of play.  Human
against human is much slower.  There is a "play by mail" version,
which I haven't had a chance to test yet.  A "typical" game lasts around
150 to 300 moves.

Empire is a game of "world" conquest, played on a rectangular map 60
cells high by 100 cells wide.  The game supports two or three players,
of whom all or none may be computer players, so that possible play
modes are human against computer, human against two computer players,
human against human, human against human against computer, human
against human against human, or computer against computer or computer
against computer against computer.

There is a demo mode, a two or three way computer only game, that can
be got to without the copy protection check, which is a nice
advertising feature.  I turned it on, and *** eight hours later *** a
two player game was still underway, when I had to shut it down for a
thunderstorm.

The game has an excellent "Amiga feel", with requestors, gadgets,
menus, lots of mousing around, graphics and sound used (neither
spectacular), excellent windowing, multiple screens (two, workbench
plus game), multitasks OK, and so on.  Playing this game will make you
very appreciative of the Amiga software design.

Besides play mode, there are lots of other nifty features, like
"design your own world", that let you play with the game.  Normal play
is with a subset of the world on the screen, but there is a "world
map" that shows you (what you know about) the whole world that can be
called up in addition.

Attention to detail is very nice in terms of playability; when a turn
ends, a full screen requestor is put up for the next player, the map
sliders go back to zero so you don't know where the other player was
working.  If you spot an enemy or neutral unit, and leave without
combat, that unit is carried on your map in the position and status
you last saw; this may well _not_ be the position and status when you
send a unit back in that neighborhood, but it is a good reminder of
"things to check up on" for later.

Each player has a private map of the world, and starts with a single
city somewhere.  From that small start, the player goes on to conquer
first neutral territories, then, after more of the world is known, to
fight enemy units.  Conflict is accomplished by trying to move a unit
onto an opposing unit.

Cities are the primary targets, because each city is a production
entity, capable of working on just one product at a time, but can be
changed with a small time penalty (and loss of any partially completed
unit) to work on another item.  Landlocked cities can only produce
armies and planes.  Armies are produced quickly, large ships slowly,
and other units somewhere between.  Cities are named after real cities
famous in the history of warfare (Marathon) or current military might
(Hampton Roads).  I can't tell you how delighted I was to conquer the
latter (the larger Norfolk vicinity, where I live, is known as Hampton
Roads.)

Combat units are armies (the only unit that can conquer a city)
fighter planes, and ships: troop transports, submarines, destroyers,
carriers, battleships, and aircraft carriers.  A unit either wins a
battle, or is destroyed, winning (naval) units can sustain damage, and
can return to a friendly port for repairs.  Since only armies can
conquer cities, and since the world usually has a couple of dozen
major land masses, and five or six dozen cities, troop transports are
necessary to win.

The game is a study in managing complexity, and provides many aids to
the player.  Even in the midst of world wide conflict, an experienced
player can accomplish a move in about 15 minutes, one eighth the time
for the (admittedly more complex) Unix version.  Units can be set to
patrol certain pathways, aircraft can be automatically routed from
production areas to the battlefront, units can be put on sentry, and
many other options.

Hmm.  I guess I could go on until I'd rewritten the manual. ;-) Enough
to say that this is an excellent game for the war game enthusiast or
for someone who has worn out the thrill of arcade games on the Amiga.

The only design bug I've found so far is that I can't find a way to
get non-army units out of a city if they have been put on sentry duty
there, and that is a minor problem at best.  The sellers could have
completely left out the attempt to tie the game into the Star Fleet I
and II series, for my taste, but that's a quibble. Lots of fun.

Oh, yes, the game keeps a combat ranking for commanders, and can be
(the manual says "do") freely copied from the original for a playing
copy, or run from hard disk.

Enjoy!  Really worth the ~$40 price.

Kent, the man from xanth.

cjp@antique.UUCP (Charles Poirier) (07/14/88)

In article <5828@xanth.cs.odu.edu> kent@cs.odu.edu (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:
>Enough to say that this is an excellent game for the war game enthusiast or
>for someone who has worn out the thrill of arcade games on the Amiga.

I second the recommendation.  Just a few comments to add.

>The only design bug I've found so far is that I can't find a way to
>get non-army units out of a city if they have been put on sentry duty

Easy.  Type "G" for "group orders", outline a region containing the city,
then hit "O" for "cancel orders".  (All commands have key and menu
versions.)

The computer players (if you play against two of them) don't gang up
on you particularly, but treat both other players as enemy.
The automated play is basically competent, but I have no difficulty
mowing down either one or two computer opponents at Expert level.
Reducing my production efficiency from the normal 50% to about 33%
seems to even things up.  You can also adjust the combat efficiency,
but I found that just too heartbreaking.

--
	Charles Poirier   (decvax,ucbvax,mcnc,attmail)!vax135!cjp

   "Docking complete...       Docking complete...       Docking complete..."

jow@unccvax.UUCP (Jim Wiley) (07/14/88)

In article <5828@xanth.cs.odu.edu>, kent@xanth.cs.odu.edu (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:
> "A STAR FLEET Planetary Campaign" EMPIRE "Wargame of the Century",
> Amiga version 2.03, published by by interstel (tm), written by Walter
> Bright and Mark Baldwin.  Includes game disk, quick command reference
> card, and 70 page manual.  "Word in manual" copy protection.
>
> The only design bug I've found so far is that I can't find a way to
> get non-army units out of a city if they have been put on sentry duty
> there, and that is a minor problem at best.
>
> Kent, the man from xanth.

Try going into survey mode, position the cursor over the desired city
and type the letter 'O'.  This should clear orders for all sentries.

This game has a little more realism than the UN*X EMPIRE, at least
the version I play.  Destroyers can move 3 spaces per turn, all
other ships can move 2.  Subs can only be 'seen' by other subs, cities,
destroyers and cruisers.  Subs can not 'see' fighters.  Battleships
do 3 points dammage per hit.  Cruisers do 2 points damage.  Only
cruisers and battleships can bombard armies on land and don't run
aground.  Troop transports have 1/2 attack and defence ratings.
Makes sense as a troop transport shouldn't be as strong as a destroyer.

Some more features, too.  You can have ships escort other ships.  When
you move a ship all those assigned to escort it follow along.  You
can set a unit patrol back an forth between two points.  You also
can bring up a 'world map' which displays the entire discovered world
on the screen at once.  You also have a status display which gives
the total number of cities, and the number you have.  It also gives
you current production for each type of unit, soonest completion,
number you currently have, number you have destroyed and number you
have lost.

When starting a new game you can select production efficiency and
combat efficiency from 0% to 100% for each player.  You can make
the game as easy or as hard as you want.

I would definitly recommend this game.

Jim Wiley

darin@taurus.laic.uucp (Darin Johnson) (07/14/88)

In article <5828@xanth.cs.odu.edu>, kent@xanth.cs.odu.edu (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:
> EMPIRE "Wargame of the Century",
>
> First, for those who have played the Unix(tm) version, this is the
> same game, but considerably simpler, since only cities do production,
> and the only production is combat units.

Actually, this is based on the VMS version (from DECUS I think). I haven't
bought it, but from reading the cover and looking at the pictures, it
appears pretty similar.  The big change is mouse and intuition support.

Note, that xconq (for X Windows) is similar, but much more advanced.  It has
terrain types, more kinds of pieces, etc.  It also allows mouse control.
I have been thinking off and on about porting this, but never actually get
around to it.  It would be harder to support a multi player version though.

It surprises me that games like this and STAR FLEET actually sell, since
there are PD versions available if they ever get ported.  Makes one wonder
if rogue or hack could be packaged and sold :-)

(if it were cheaper and I didn't have the xconq sources lying around, I would
think of buying it, since it is VERY addictive.)

Darin Johnson (...pyramid.arpa!leadsv!laic!darin)
              (...ucbvax!sun!sunncal!leadsv!laic!darin)
	"All aboard the DOOMED express!"

dvl@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Doug Larson) (07/15/88)

> "A STAR FLEET Planetary Campaign" EMPIRE "Wargame of the Century",
> Amiga version 2.03, published by by interstel (tm), written by Walter
> Bright and Mark Baldwin.  Includes game disk, quick command reference
> card, and 70 page manual.  "Word in manual" copy protection.

> Enjoy!  Really worth the ~$40 price.

> Kent, the man from xanth.

	I agree, it really is worth the ~$40 price. Of course, "xconq" on
	my n-thousand dollar workstation at work has nicer graphics, but
	we are talking significantly more expensive hardware.

	One of the features that Kent did not mention that I find really
	useful is the ability to set the production capability and
	combat ability of each player.  These two are set in percent,
	and the default for each is 50%. The point of this is that you
	can make the computer tougher and tougher as you gain experience.
	Also you can set the computer to play at "standard" ability or
	"expert" ability.  I find playing a single computer opponent set
	to 62% combat,62% production and "expert" to be challenging.
	( I found 64%,64%,expert to be deadly - I lost fairly quickly).

	Doug Larson
	hpda!dvl

eachus@mitre-bedford.ARPA (Robert Eachus) (07/18/88)

     It is possible to "wake-up" units  that are on  sentry duty, even
in cities.   Just enter survey mode,  move the cursor  to the units or
city in  question,  and  type  O.  The  propt  line will say   "Orders
cleared" for far too long, and you are  off  and running.  Remember to
move the cursor  off any of  your pieces (with  the arrow keys) before
clicking on the location you want to clear orders for, since sometimes
the program reads your intent as moving the unit to that destination.

     The  program is burning up  incredible amounts of CPU time around
here, since the kids are out of school,  but the logic in  the machine
opponents   needs lots  of work.   For   example,  it will send  troop
transports out empty,  and use them  to attack enemy   cities.  At the
beginning of  a game  you  get to  choose  the relative production and
cobat efficiencies of  the various opponents.   I   suggest giving the
machine players an  advantage in production  capacity to make  up  for
their  incompetence.   (You  can   go ahead  and  give  them  a combat
advantage if you want, but for me that spoils the game.)

     Human vs. human (with or without a machine opponent) works pretty
well, but I would avoid three person games, as it becomes difficult to
get everyone  together and interested.  My son, daughter,   and myself
have a game which is at turn  150 or so,  and about  25 hours, with no
end in sight.

     All in all  a very good game,  even if it  takes as  much time to
play as Bard's Tale.

					Robert I. Eachus

with STANDARD_DISCLAIMER;
use  STANDARD_DISCLAIMER;
function MESSAGE (TEXT: in CLEVER_IDEAS) return BETTER_IDEAS is...