[comp.sys.amiga] If you can't stand the heat ...

dooley@helios.toronto.edu (Kevin Dooley) (07/07/88)

The disgustingly hot weather we've been having in Toronto this week
has provided me with yet another interesting comparison between the
Amiga and the Mac.  Last summer I was babysitting a Mac.  I had always
wanted one, but could never afford it.  I was glad that I hadn't bought
one by the end of the summer.  There were a lot of things that really
annoyed me about it, but the worst was the way it behaved in warm weather.

If the machine was physically cool, I could use it for about an hour on
a hot day (I don't have any air conditioning).  Then it would start
getting confused and crash.  I could usually reboot it once or twice,
but it invariably crashed and, if I tried again, it would claim that
all of my disks were buggered.  This would invariably happen if the
temperature was above ~30 C (~86 F).

Well, yesterday I was working on my Amiga 2000 from 9:00am to about 7:00pm
in a room which was ~40 C (~104 F).  It crashed a few times, but always
because of my bad programming (Oh, did I do THAT?).  It never had any
trouble rebooting and never misread a single disk.  Maybe that
everything-in-one-box design isn't such a great idea after all....

		Kevin Dooley

daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (07/09/88)

in article <578@helios.toronto.edu>, dooley@helios.toronto.edu (Kevin Dooley) says:

> There were a lot of things that really
> annoyed me about it, but the worst was the way it behaved in warm weather.

I'll definitely have to second the nomination of the A2000 as a cool hot
weather machine.  Here in the South Jersey it's been drastically close to
100F on and off for the past two months.  My A2000's been mainly on during
the same time period.  This is also a pretty full A2000, with 68020 board,
expansion memory, hard disk all inside.  And the computer room is not only
far beyond the read of any air conditioning, but also poorly ventilated to
begin with.  And it has yet to crash of it's own accord.  I'm keeping it
off these days while I'm not around, but only because of plea from my wife.
It seems the '2000 WAS doing a pretty good job of heating up the rest of
the house.

--
Dave Haynie  "The 32 Bit Guy"     Commodore-Amiga  "The Crew That Never Rests"
   {ihnp4|uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!daveh      PLINK: D-DAVE H     BIX: hazy

In article <578@helios.toronto.edu> dooley@helios.physics.toronto.edu (Kevin Dooley) writes:
> [ Story about how Macs cough in hot weather. ]
>Maybe that everything-in-one-box design isn't such a great idea after all....

	It has nothing to do with the fact that Macs have everything crammed
into that little toaster.  It has to do with the fact that, with the recent
exception of the Mac-too, every computer Apple has designed has a fundemental
design flaw.

	The fan is missing.

Leo L. Schwab -- The Guy in The Cape	INET: well!ewhac@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU
 \_ -_		Recumbent Bikes:	UUCP: pacbell > !{well,unicom}!ewhac
"Hmm, you're right.  Air is made up of suspended meat loaf."  -- Josh Siegel

mclek@dcatla.UUCP (Larry E. Kollar) (07/13/88)

in article <578@helios.toronto.edu>, dooley@helios.toronto.edu (Kevin Dooley) says about the Mac Plus:

> There were a lot of things that really
> annoyed me about it, but the worst was the way it behaved in warm weather.

Blame the all-in-one design.  I use a Plus at work, and the "Hades point" (top
left of the machine, near the front) runs over 120F even in air-conditioned
environments.  You need a cooling fan (recommended anyway) in non-climate-
controlled areas, or you can count on replacing power supplies down the road.

The Amiga 500 may be a little more temperature-sensative than a 2000, but not
so much as a Mac since the monitor's a separate unit on all Amigas.  Anyway,
I've been using my 500 in an 80-degree high-humidity environment during
evenings, with no trouble.  I have a fan, but it's keeping the liveware (me)
from overheating. :-)

In article <4210@cbmvax.UUCP> daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) writes:
>It seems the '2000 WAS doing a pretty good job of heating up the rest of
>the house.

In a heat wave, everything contributes to the heat -- but I'd have a hard time
believing that even a full-blown 2000 could pump out THAT much heat....

	Larry Kollar	...!gatech!dcatla!mclek

bhh@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu (Barry Hales) (07/14/88)

In article <6509@well.UUCP> ewhac@well.UUCP (Leo 'Bols Ewhac' Schwab) writes:

>In article <578@helios.toronto.edu> dooley@helios.physics.toronto.edu (Kevin Dooley) writes:
>> [ Story about how Macs cough in hot weather. ]
>>Maybe that everything-in-one-box design isn't such a great idea after all....
>	It has nothing to do with the fact that Macs have everything crammed
>into that little toaster.  It has to do with the fact that, with the recent
>exception of the Mac-too, every computer Apple has designed has a fundemental
>design flaw.
>	The fan is missing.

      It also has to do with the fact that the Mac series (the old ones, at
least) use rather cheap power supplies.  I used to work at a repair shop,
and we used to get Macs in all the time with power supplies that had played
out.  The things just aren't put together that good.  The newer ones (Mac
SE, Mac II) use much better parts, from what I could tell.

      I have an A500, and have heard all the power supply horror stories...I
have been lucky so far with the ps (the first amiga system I got broke
within one week, monitor AND computer, but the replacement I got has worked
beautifully!) not overloading, considering I am running an external drive
and the A501 memory card.  I just wish CBM had put a bit more sturdy power
supply on the thing, but so far, so good for me .......

Barry Hales
bhh@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu

Disclaimer: the ususal drek.......

fiddler%concertina@Sun.COM (Steve Hix) (07/14/88)

In article <6509@well.UUCP>, ewhac@well.UUCP (Leo 'Bols Ewhac' Schwab) writes:
> In article <578@helios.toronto.edu> dooley@helios.physics.toronto.edu (Kevin Dooley) writes:
> > [ Story about how Macs cough in hot weather. ]
> >Maybe that everything-in-one-box design isn't such a great idea after all....
> >
> 	It has nothing to do with the fact that Macs have everything crammed
> into that little toaster.  It has to do with the fact that, with the recent
> exception of the Mac-too, every computer Apple has designed has a fundemental
> design flaw.
>
> 	The fan is missing.

The MacSE also has a fan.  (We'll ignore the fact that the fan chosen
was not optimal...)

The lack of a fan didn't hurt the Apple // series, and they sure are
quiet.

Btw, the first thing to go has historically been an under-spec'd fly-
back transformer on the analog board in the Mac.  An aftermarket fan
like the System Saver Mac or Fanny Mac fixes the trouble.

(All this because Steve Jobs didn't like the noise of fans.  Mechanical
ones, anyway.)

lishka@uwslh.UUCP (Fish-Guts) (07/14/88)

In article <6509@well.UUCP> ewhac@well.UUCP (Leo 'Bols Ewhac' Schwab) writes:
>In article <578@helios.toronto.edu> dooley@helios.physics.toronto.edu (Kevin Dooley) writes:
>> [ Story about how Macs cough in hot weather. ]
>>Maybe that everything-in-one-box design isn't such a great idea after all....
>>
>	It has nothing to do with the fact that Macs have everything crammed
>into that little toaster.  It has to do with the fact that, with the recent
>exception of the Mac-too, every computer Apple has designed has a fundemental
>design flaw.
>
>	The fan is missing.

     I believe you have your facts a bit mixed up, Mr. Schwab.  My
roomate has a genuine Macintosh SE and it too has an internal fan.  It
is rather easy to notice because it is one of the loudest fans I have
heard (it sounds like a Jet about to take off...whoooshhhh! ;-).

>_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
>Leo L. Schwab -- The Guy in The Cape	INET: well!ewhac@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU

						-Chris
--
Christopher Lishka                  ...!{rutgers|ucbvax|...}!uwvax!uwslh!lishka
Wisconsin State Lab of Hygiene                    lishka%uwslh.uucp@cs.wisc.edu

stever@videovax.Tek.COM (Steven E. Rice, P.E.) (07/15/88)

In article <6611@dcatla.UUCP>, Larry E. Kollar (mclek@sunb.UUCP) writes:

> . . .

> In article <4210@cbmvax.UUCP> daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) writes:
>> It seems the '2000 WAS doing a pretty good job of heating up the rest of
>> the house.
>
> In a heat wave, everything contributes to the heat -- but I'd have a hard
> time believing that even a full-blown 2000 could pump out THAT much heat....

In case you missed some of the byplay, Dave mentioned a while back that his
wife was pregnant.  (It seems that such a construction project gives off a
great deal of heat. . .)  My wife was quite sensitive to anything remotely
warm when she was pregnant!

					Steve Rice

* Every knee shall bow, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord! *
new: stever@videovax.tv.Tek.com               [phone (503) 627-1320]
old: {decvax | hplabs | uunet | uw-beaver}!tektronix!videovax!stever

dales@teksce.SCE.TEK.COM (Dale Snell) (07/15/88)

[ The plot thickens with a package of chickens... ]

In article <6611@dcatla.UUCP> mclek@sunb.UUCP (Larry E. Kollar) writes:
|In article <4210@cbmvax.UUCP> daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) writes:
|>It seems the '2000 WAS doing a pretty good job of heating up the rest of
|>the house.
|
|In a heat wave, everything contributes to the heat -- but I'd have a hard time
|believing that even a full-blown 2000 could pump out THAT much heat....
|
|	Larry Kollar	...!gatech!dcatla!mclek

     I'm not sure about an entire house, but I used to keep my bedroom
significantly (to me) warmer than the rest of the house by leaving my old
Tektronix 4051 on all the time.  The change in temperature was quite
noticable, and welcome during the winter!  I don't *think* that my '51
dissipates as much heat as a 2000.  (I could be wrong, of course.  (What, me
wrong?  :-) :-) )  I'd have to dig the old beast out to check.  Haven't used
it in ages.)  Hmm...  Maybe I should put my Amiga in my bedroom this winter.
Though the fan might be a bit noisy...

					--dds

Yes, the line-eater is alive and well and devouring chunks of postings. *sigh*
       Dale D. Snell  CServ:  74756,666    Usenet:  dales@teksce.SCE.TEK.COM
         Usenet-bang:  {the macro-cosmic all}!tektronix!tekgen!teksce!dales
	     Disclaimer:  Bah, humbug!  (attributed to E. Scrooge.)

barrett@ektools.UUCP (Chris Barrett) (07/19/88)

Well, this topic has gotten away from the Amiga subject, can't this continue
in alt.flame or comp.sys.mac?

Chris.