[comp.sys.amiga] TaskX

filip@alberta.UUCP (Don Filipchuk) (07/16/88)

   Hi,

     I'm not sure where I heard about it, but :

    What is TaskX?  Who's responsible?

    Can you change task priorities "on the fly"?

    Where can I get it?

    Can you KILL tasks (processes) "on the fly"?

    Is the same person responsible for VirusX?
    ( I understand it is Steve T**   (last name escapes me))

                                  Thanks,
                                    Don

    It's just that I go "ps -x" at work here and
    see (and ultimately control) all my processes...
    I'd like to do the same at home...
    I've seen amigamonitor but perhaps it was a preliminary
    version or something...

    Is there a utility that does what I've (briefly)
    described above and where can I get it?

|      Don Filipchuk         | "... with human females, I must           |
|                            |    restrain myself too much.  They are    |
|   University of Alberta    |    quite fragile."                        |
|    Edmonton, Alberta       |                                           |
|          Canada            |             - Lt. Worf --                 |

hrlaser@pnet02.cts.com (Harv Laser) (07/17/88)

Yes, TaskX along with VirusX, DiskX, ScreenX, and BBX (the last of which
he hasn't yet released) are the products of Steve Tibbett (a.k.a.
STEVEX on Plink) and all his programs are uploaded and gettable there and
from many Amiga BBSs nationwide. Yes TaskX lets you change priorities
on the fly - it opens a window with each running task and its priority
number and you can just mouse-change the number at your own risk and
peril.  As tasks end, the disappear from TaskX's window. As new ones
start, they appear. TaskX can even be put into a 'sleep' mode which
shrinks its window to menubar height.

Steve runs his own BBS (using his BBX software). It's in Canada and
thus not PCPursuitable. The # is 613-731-3419. It's up when he's not
using his modem for something else.

Harv Laser, Sysop, The People/Link AmigaZone.  Plink: CBM*HARV
UUCP: {anybackbone}!gryphon!pnet02!hrlaser
INET: hrlaser@pnet02.cts.com

kudla@pawl7.pawl.rpi.edu (Robert J. Kudla) (07/18/88)

In article <4869@gryphon.CTS.COM> hrlaser@pnet02.cts.com (Harv Laser) writes:
>from many Amiga BBSs nationwide. Yes TaskX lets you change priorities
>on the fly - it opens a window with each running task and its priority
>number and you can just mouse-change the number at your own risk and
>peril.  As tasks end, the disappear from TaskX's window. As new ones
Yes, but where can one find a decent KILL command? I have one that
supposedly kills the task at the address given it, but that seems to
do very little unless I'm killing a terminal program in which case it
just hangs the program's screen (a nasty waste of memory).

I don't suppose TaskX does the job of a Kill command ala Unix. If it does,
I'll have to get it. If not, I'd really like to find one......

   ------------Robert J. Kudla - Pseudo-Freshman Extraordinaire-------------
   Give me an Amiga 500 and I'll control                 Itt@RPITSMTS.BITNET
   the world!!!                                   USERFW3S%mts@itsgw.rpi.edu
                                                          kudla@pawl.rpi.edu

sdl@linus.UUCP (Steven D. Litvintchouk) (07/19/88)

In article <983@imagine.PAWL.RPI.EDU> kudla@pawl7.pawl.rpi.edu (Robert J. Kudla) writes:

> I don't suppose TaskX does the job of a Kill command ala Unix. If it does,
> I'll have to get it. If not, I'd really like to find one......

GOMF 2.2 (Hypertek/Silicon Springs) comes with a separate program
called "Nuke."  Nuke enables you to kill a specified program (&
reclaim much of the resources it used).  Great if some program has
hung and left its window(s) open....

Steven Litvintchouk
MITRE Corporation
Burlington Road
Bedford, MA  01730

Fone:  (617)271-7753
ARPA:  sdl@mitre-bedford.arpa
UUCP:  ...{cbosgd,decvax,genrad,ll-xn,mit-eddie,philabs,utzoo}!linus!sdl

	"Those who will be able to conquer software will be able to
	 conquer the world."  -- Tadahiro Sekimoto, president, NEC Corp.