[comp.sys.amiga] 4-layer -=- 2-layer Was: b2000/a2000

sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) (07/21/88)

In Message <15825@cci632.UUCP>, sal@cci632.UUCP (Sean Lawson) writes:

>	In the not too distant past, someone asked what was the difference
>between the A2000 and the B2000.  I must have missed the answer if anyone had
>replied, but I am curious.  Are they even "related"?

  Sure there related, all Amiga's are - no?    (At least all of mine are :-)

  First let make the CBM gods happy by saying that the A2000 should be called
  the 4-layer 2000, and the B2000 should be called the 2-layer 2000. The A & B
  names are frowned upon. With that out of way heres the scoop.

  Consider the 4-layer 2000 as "a 1000 with a Zorro ][ buss"
  Consider the 2-layer 2000 as "a  500 with a Zorro ][ buss"

  The 1000 uses the older chip set - thin Agnus & no Gary
  The  500 uses the new   chip set - fat  Agnus & Gary

  Thinking of them in this manner will avoid alot of confusion. Now a few other
  points to remember.

  4-layer 2000's were never sold in the US - they were sold in Canada & Europe
  and were designed in West Germany. 2-layer 2000's are all that are curently
  sold world wide - (IE: the 4-layer machine is history) and were designed in
  West Chester (USA).

  How do you tell which one you have? Look on the rear of your 2000 - if it has
  2 RCA styled jacks (R & L audio) then its a 4-layer - if it has 3 RCA styled
  jacks (R & L audio - composite video) then its a 2-layer.

  As for my reference to "fat Agnus" in the 2-layer machines, this is a fat
  version but it still only has 512K chip ram. The "fatter Agnus" will be the
  one with 1M of chip ram.

--
 Dan "Sneakers" Schein   {ihnp4|allegra|burdvax|rutgers}!cbmvax!heimat!sneakers
 Sneakers Computing

 Of course heimat is an Amiga, doesn't everyone run UUCP & UseNet on an Amiga?