[comp.sys.amiga] Pournelle in August Byte...

ali@polya.Stanford.EDU (Ali T. Ozer) (07/20/88)

----
Seems like Jerry is getting to like his 2000 more and more.
In the August Byte, he first mentions Unix for the 2000, favorably.
Then he talks about his ROM upgrade (to 1.3, I guess?) and says:
"...the Amiga can be reset and rebooted from a RAM disk. That takes only
a few seconds. I don't know of any other computer that can boot from its own
RAM disk. ... All in all, the Amiga sees to be improving
steadily."

Looks like Commodore's hard work at trying to set him straight
is finally paying off! Let's hope this trend continues.

Ali Ozer, ali@polya.stanford.edu, aozer@next.com

In article <3310@polya.Stanford.EDU| ali@polya.Stanford.EDU (Ali T. Ozer) writes:
|Seems like Jerry is getting to like his 2000 more and more.
|In the August Byte, he first mentions Unix for the 2000, favorably.
|Then he talks about his ROM upgrade (to 1.3, I guess?) and says:
|"...the Amiga can be reset and rebooted from a RAM disk. That takes only
|a few seconds. I don't know of any other computer that can boot from its own
|RAM disk. ... All in all, the Amiga sees to be improving steadily."
|Looks like Commodore's hard work at trying to set him straight
|is finally paying off! Let's hope this trend continues.

If CBM gave him a 386 accelerator that WORKS with the BrigeCard, he'd love
it even more.  That problem is one that he is most upset about. Anybody
listening at CBM?

-- Marco Papa 'Doc'
uucp:...!pollux!papa       BIX:papa       ARPAnet:pollux!papa@oberon.usc.edu
 "There's Alpha, Beta, Gamma and Diga!" -- Leo Schwab [quoting Rick Unland]

In article <3310@polya.Stanford.EDU> ali@polya.Stanford.EDU (Ali T. Ozer) writes:
>Seems like Jerry is getting to like his 2000 more and more.
>In the August Byte, he first mentions Unix for the 2000, favorably.
>Then he talks about his ROM upgrade (to 1.3, I guess?) and says:
>"...the Amiga can be reset and rebooted from a RAM disk. That takes only
>a few seconds. I don't know of any other computer that can boot from its own
>RAM disk. ... All in all, the Amiga sees to be improving
>steadily."

Yeah, and look for an article by him some time next year saying they've
fixed the interlace flicker with a commercial product called fix yer flickers.

--
        Many have been bought by rich people, from other countries.
richard@gryphon.CTS.COM                               {backbone}!gryphon!richard

daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (07/21/88)

in article <10890@oberon.USC.EDU>, papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) says:

> If CBM gave him a 386 accelerator that WORKS with the BrigeCard, he'd love
> it even more.  That problem is one that he is most upset about. Anybody
> listening at CBM?

He wants an Applied Reasoning "PC-elevATor 386".  At least, it works for me,
and has the A2000 mentioned in it's configuration files.  They cost about
$1700 or so, with a meg of 32 bit-wide RAM, but certainly Jerry could get
one for free.  After all, he might babbly incoherently about it in BYTE one
month, and that certainly warrents a freebie...

--
Dave Haynie  "The 32 Bit Guy"     Commodore-Amiga  "The Crew That Never Rests"
   {ihnp4|uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!daveh      PLINK: D-DAVE H     BIX: hazy

andre@gtss.UUCP (Andre Frech) (07/21/88)

In article <10890@oberon.USC.EDU>, papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:

> In article <3310@polya.Stanford.EDU| ali@polya.Stanford.EDU (Ali T. Ozer) writes:

> |Seems like Jerry is getting to like his 2000 more and more.
[...]
> |Looks like Commodore's hard work at trying to set him straight
> |is finally paying off! Let's hope this trend continues.

> If CBM gave him a 386 accelerator that WORKS with the BrigeCard, he'd love
> it even more.  That problem is one that he is most upset about. Anybody
> listening at CBM?

Anybody listening at CBM?  Is that rhetorical, or what?  :-) :-)

Maybe someone ought to contact Applied Technologies:
(86A Sherman St., Cambridge, MA 02140; 617-492-0700).
They make a board called the PC ElevATor which fits and works (!) in the
bridgeboard'ed A2000.  Tried it myself for a while, and does some really
neat things to packages such as AutoCAD (like, speeds them up).

Only thing is, I know that Jerry may keep his equipment, and this is a
small company, and the stuff costs them a lot.  Any hope of convincing
Jerry of a return policy?  0.5 :-)

non omnia possumus omnes   --"we cannot all do everything."
--
Andre Frech          | Commodore Southeast Regional Sales:  404-587-3883
Education Support    | 535A Colonial Park Drive #100, Roswell GA 30075