[comp.sys.amiga] b2000/a2000

sal@cci632.UUCP (Sean Lawson) (07/19/88)

	In the not too distant past, someone asked what was the difference
between the A2000 and the B2000.  I must have missed the answer if anyone had
replied, but I am curious.  Are they even "related"?

zofka@cernvax.UUCP (zofka) (07/20/88)

In article <15825@cci632.UUCP> sal@op632.UUCP (Sean Lawson) writes:

>	In the not too distant past, someone asked what was the difference
>       between a2000/b2000.
I have an A2000 (ser nb. 202). There is no Gary and no New Agnus inside
512k of mem and a little card with 512 other k plugged in the cpu bus.
If u use these card and want to use the a2090 in the same time, it's
impossible. There is an arbitration problem with the cpu slot...
Commodore say: you can exchange the main board for 300$ !!! (The price
of a new board is also 300$)
What do u say Commodore USA about this ?
Milan

daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (07/20/88)

in article <15825@cci632.UUCP>, sal@cci632.UUCP (Sean Lawson) says:

> 	In the not too distant past, someone asked what was the difference
> between the A2000 and the B2000.  I must have missed the answer if anyone had
> replied, but I am curious.  Are they even "related"?

There are essentially the same computer, and always called "A2000" when you
got to buy one.  The difference is in the motherboard.  What's called "A2000"
in Amiga circles is the original 4-layer motherboard; "B2000" the newer 2-layer
motherboard.  If you bought it in the USA, or recently anywhere else, it's
the 2-layer board.

There are only a few differences.  The "B" has 1 meg of RAM on the motherboard;
the "A" has 512K on the motherboard, 512K on a daughterboard that sits in the
CPU slot.  The "B" allows a Coprocessor card to coexist with the 68000; the "A"
requires that the 68000 be removed (along with the 512K daughterboard) to use
a Coprocessor card.  The "B" provides a monochrome composite video output, the
"A" doesn't.  The "B" provides a full-size video slot which allows the use of
things like the MicroWay flickerFixer, the "A" has only a half video slot which
supports GenLocks but doesn't provide all the digital video information.  The
"B" uses the Fat Agnus chip and can use the new 1 meg Fat Agnus, the "A" can't.

That's about it.

--
Dave Haynie  "The 32 Bit Guy"     Commodore-Amiga  "The Crew That Never Rests"
   {ihnp4|uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!daveh      PLINK: D-DAVE H     BIX: hazy

dleigh@hplabsz.HPL.HP.COM (Darren Leigh) (07/23/88)

In article <760@cernvax.UUCP> zofka@cernvax.UUCP () writes:

[discussion concerning swapping A2000 motherboard for B2000 board]
>Commodore say: you can exchange the main board for 300$ !!! (The price
>of a new board is also 300$)

Three hundred bucks, huh?  Is this my chance for a cheap upgrade for
my A1000?

What comes on the B2000 motherboard anyway?  Is there enough so that I
can just add a power-supply, case, drives and a new keyboard?  It
might be worth it just to have a low-cost machine so that I can do
hardware development without worrying too much if I blow it up.

--------
Darren Leigh
dleigh@hplabs.hp.com (Internet)
hplabs!dleigh (UUCP)

sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) (07/27/88)

In Message <2144@hplabsz.HPL.HP.COM>, dleigh@hplabsz.HPL.HP.COM (Darren Leigh) writes:

>In article <760@cernvax.UUCP> zofka@cernvax.UUCP () writes:
>
>[discussion concerning swapping A2000 motherboard for B2000 board]
>>Commodore say: you can exchange the main board for 300$ !!! (The price
>>of a new board is also 300$)
>
>Three hundred bucks, huh?  Is this my chance for a cheap upgrade for
>my A1000?
>
>What comes on the B2000 motherboard anyway?  Is there enough so that I
>can just add a power-supply, case, drives and a new keyboard?  It
>might be worth it just to have a low-cost machine so that I can do
>hardware development without worrying too much if I blow it up.

  You would need a power supply, drive(s) & cable(s) - thats about it! You
  can easily build an adpater to use the 1000 keyboard and you really don't
  need a case (opps... your not from the FCC are you :-). If your serious
  about going this route (and im not saying its good or bad) I would
  suggest that you also buy a 2000 power supply. It might save you some head
  aches later.

--
 Dan "Sneakers" Schein   {ihnp4|allegra|burdvax|rutgers}!cbmvax!heimat!sneakers
 Sneakers Computing

 Of course heimat is an Amiga, doesn't everyone run UUCP & UseNet on an Amiga?