[comp.sys.amiga] using the interface between an Amiga 2000 and bridgecard

grwalter@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Fred Walter) (07/18/88)

Where can I find information on using the interface between an Amiga 2000
and the bridgecard ?

I am interested in writing a driver that would allow the Amiga's mouse to
be used as a mouse on the bridgecard side, as well as writing something
that would allow the bridgecard to get current date/time from the Amiga
side (it seems kinda silly to have TWO battery backed up clock/calenders
inside one box).

I seem to recall someone else mentioning wanting to use the mouse on the
bridgecard side. Did something ever get done along the above lines ?

On a non-related topic, will the fast-file-system work on an Amiga
partition of a hard disk setup on the bridgecard side ?

Also, in the Introduction to the Amiga 2000 manual it mentions a jumper
J301 which is used to enable/disable (or something like that) a second
internal drive. Where is this jumper found on a Rev 4.3 B2000 ?

	thanx,
	fred

grwalter@watcgl.uwaterloo.ca                  (Canadian domain)
grwalter@watcgl.waterloo.edu                  (US Internet, including CSNET)
grwalter@watcgl.waterloo.cdn                  (CDNnet and some European nets)
watmath!watcgl!grwalter                       (UUCP)
uunet!watmath!watcgl!grwalter                 (another UUCP alternative)
grwalter%watcgl.waterloo.edu@csnet-relay.arpa (ARPA)

In article <5217@watcgl.waterloo.edu| grwalter@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Fred Walter) writes:
|Where can I find information on using the interface between an Amiga 2000
|and the bridgecard ?
|I am interested in writing a driver that would allow the Amiga's mouse to
|be used as a mouse on the bridgecard side, as well as writing something
|that would allow the bridgecard to get current date/time from the Amiga
|side (it seems kinda silly to have TWO battery backed up clock/calenders
|inside one box).

You need the "A500/A2000 Technical Reference Manual" available from Lauren
Brown at CATS, and the "Amiga 2088 Software for PC Bridgecard V2.0
Alpha 1 Release" that was distributed to developers at DevCon.  COntact
lauren to see if you can get a copy of it.

|On a non-related topic, will the fast-file-system work on an Amiga
|partition of a hard disk setup on the bridgecard side ?

Nope.  Reason is that DPFormat, the program used to format a Janus
partition, has not been updated to handle FFS.

|Also, in the Introduction to the Amiga 2000 manual it mentions a jumper
|J301 which is used to enable/disable (or something like that) a second
|internal drive. Where is this jumper found on a Rev 4.3 B2000 ?

I don't have a Rev 4.3 B2000, but I have the schematics of the original B2000
(from the above mentioned A500/A2000 Tech. Man.).  Jumper J301 is connected
to pin 34 (_RDY) of the "internal floppy connector" named CN303.  Changing
the jumper will allow to have an external DF1: drive (instead of the usual
DF2:).

-- Marco Papa 'Doc'
uucp:...!pollux!papa       BIX:papa       ARPAnet:pollux!papa@oberon.usc.edu
 "There's Alpha, Beta, Gamma and Diga!" -- Leo Schwab [quoting Rick Unland]

carolyn@cbmvax.UUCP (Carolyn Scheppner CATS) (07/20/88)

In article <5217@watcgl.waterloo.edu> grwalter@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Fred Walter) writes:
>Where can I find information on using the interface between an Amiga 2000
>and the bridgecard ?

There is a quite a bit of information in the A500/A2000 Tech Ref Manual
(available from CATS for $40 US [+$5 shipping outside US]).

But we expect to have new Janus software soon (Fall?) and this software
may not be fully compatible with the original specs in the manual from
a programmer's standpoint.  For this reason, we have not yet distributed
the includes and janus.lib required for programming, and these will
only be released when we have the new versions.

When Bill Koester gets back from working on the software, he may be able
to provide some registered developers with pre-release .lib, includes, and
docs for testing purposes.  Stay tuned.

  Carolyn Scheppner -- CATS  Commodore Amiga Technical Support
  PHONE 215-431-9180   UUCP  ...{uunet,allegra,rutgers}!cbmvax!carolyn

 !!! SAVE THE RADS !!!

carolyn@cbmvax.UUCP (Carolyn Scheppner CATS) (07/20/88)

In article <5217@watcgl.waterloo.edu> grwalter@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Fred Walter) writes:

>Also, in the Introduction to the Amiga 2000 manual it mentions a jumper
>J301 which is used to enable/disable (or something like that) a second
>internal drive. Where is this jumper found on a Rev 4.3 B2000 ?

On my B2000 it was just under the where the floppy data cable connects
to the motherboard (it comes out from under the power supply tray on
the left side).  You must jumper it if you hook up a second internal
floppy.

  Carolyn Scheppner -- CATS  Commodore Amiga Technical Support
  PHONE 215-431-9180   UUCP  ...{uunet,allegra,rutgers}!cbmvax!carolyn

 Calm down.  It's just ones and zeros.

sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) (07/20/88)

In Message <5217@watcgl.waterloo.edu>, grwalter@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Fred Walter) writes:

>Where can I find information on using the interface between an Amiga 2000
>and the bridgecard ?

 I don't think any real information is available. There is/was alot of useful
 information handed out at DevCon, but that covered the Alpha software that
 was also handed out.

>I am interested in writing a driver that would allow the Amiga's mouse to
>be used as a mouse on the bridgecard side, as well as writing something
>that would allow the bridgecard to get current date/time from the Amiga
>side (it seems kinda silly to have TWO battery backed up clock/calenders
>inside one box).
>
>I seem to recall someone else mentioning wanting to use the mouse on the
>bridgecard side. Did something ever get done along the above lines ?

 Well the mouse driver has already been written (I don't know if I can say
 when & where youll see it - ill ask though!).

 As for a clock setter - I wrote one of those a while back. I have not (and
 will not) released it because it is going to get broken with the next rev
 of PC windows software.

>On a non-related topic, will the fast-file-system work on an Amiga
>partition of a hard disk setup on the bridgecard side ?

 Not that I know of.. but im sure where theres a will, theres a way ;-)

>Also, in the Introduction to the Amiga 2000 manual it mentions a jumper
>J301 which is used to enable/disable (or something like that) a second
>internal drive. Where is this jumper found on a Rev 4.3 B2000 ?

 I think that jumper is at the same place on all 2 layer 2000's (US version).
 If your facing the front of the machine, its just to the right of the cable
 connector for the floppy drive cable. (Under the cable)

>	thanx,

 Your welcome.

--
 Dan "Sneakers" Schein   {ihnp4|allegra|burdvax|rutgers}!cbmvax!heimat!sneakers
 Sneakers Computing

 Of course heimat is an Amiga, doesn't everyone run UUCP & UseNet on an Amiga?

d7pernb@hacke0.UUCP (Nicklas Pernblad) (07/27/88)

In article <10842@oberon.USC.EDU> papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:

>I don't have a Rev 4.3 B2000, but I have the schematics of the original B2000
>(from the above mentioned A500/A2000 Tech. Man.).  Jumper J301 is connected
>to pin 34 (_RDY) of the "internal floppy connector" named CN303.  Changing
>the jumper will allow to have an external DF1: drive (instead of the usual
>DF2:).

DF1: is always internal. Removing jumper 301 only disables DF1:, any external
drives remain DF2: and DF3:.
At least that's what happens on my B2000 Rev 4.4.

Nicklas Pernblad
d7pernb@hacke0.chalmers.se