[comp.sys.amiga] Expert system shells for the Amiga

cslaurie@cybaswan.UUCP (Laurie Moseley ) (07/14/88)

Does anyone know of any good (or just any) expert system shells for the
Amiga ?

				Laurie Moseley

sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) (07/20/88)

In Message <32@cybaswan.UUCP>, cslaurie@cybaswan.UUCP (Laurie Moseley ) writes:

>Does anyone know of any good (or just any) expert system shells for the
>Amiga ?

 Well im not really sure what you mean by 'expert' but my personal favorite is
 the shell from Metacomco (sp?). I have been using it for over 1 year now and
 have found it to do almost everything I need. (Only thing it does not do is
 allow is aliases with spaces, something like:
 												alias cd = cd ram:

 I have also used the shell to be included in V1.3, and if you can wait - it
 is a nice basic shell. And you sure cant beat the price - FREE w/1.3 :-)

 Of course these are my feelings and like flavors of ice cream, im sure others
 agree and disagree.

--
 Dan "Sneakers" Schein   {ihnp4|allegra|burdvax|rutgers}!cbmvax!heimat!sneakers
 Sneakers Computing

 Of course heimat is an Amiga, doesn't everyone run UUCP & UseNet on an Amiga?

smaug@eneevax.UUCP (Kurt J. Lidl) (07/21/88)

In article <1512.AA1512@heimat> sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) writes:
>In Message <32@cybaswan.UUCP>, cslaurie@cybaswan.UUCP (Laurie Moseley ) writes:

>>Does anyone know of any good (or just any) expert system shells for the
>>Amiga ?

Unfortunately, no...

> Well im not really sure what you mean by 'expert' but my personal favorite is
> the shell from Metacomco (sp?).

The type of shell that Metacomco and the csh from dillon are most properly
called DOS shells (I'm sure someone can get picky and point out a even
better name for them.  However, an expert system shell they ain't!
An expert system shell is more of a front-end for a prolog or lisp
engine that would be used for doing AI work...

Hope this clarifies the matter a little (also, I hope I am not too far off
base with my above comments!).

> Dan "Sneakers" Schein   {[backbone]}!cbmvax!heimat!sneakers
> Of course heimat is an Amiga, doesn't everyone run UUCP & UseNet on an Amiga?

How I would love to run UUCP and UseNet on my AMiga!

Kurt Lidl

==  Kurt J. Lidl  (smaug@eneevax.umd.edu)	(301)454-6849	==
==  UUCP: [seismo,allegra]!umcp-cs!eneevax!smaug		==
========"It's after 3am, no point in going to sleep now..."=======

arxt@sphinx.uchicago.edu (patrick palmer) (07/21/88)

Last Fall I corresponded with EXSYS (I do not have their address with me- look
in IEEE Expert, etc.) about a version of their shell for the A2000.  They
replied that there had been  interest expressed in the European market
and that they planned to port theirs to the Amiga "in the Spring".  I suggest
that you let them - and other developers of PC expert systems (like Guru) -
know that you are interested.  We need to show them that their is an Amiga
market.

cjp@antique.UUCP (Charles Poirier) (07/21/88)

In article <1512.AA1512@heimat> sneakers@heimat.UUCP writes:
>In Message <32@cybaswan.UUCP>, cslaurie@cybaswan.UUCP (Laurie Moseley ) writes:
>>Does anyone know of any good (or just any) expert system shells for the
>>Amiga ?
>
> Well im not really sure what you mean by 'expert' but my personal favorite is
...[stuff about CLI-replacements deleted]

Noooo! ... Parse that as "expert system" shells.  I.e., a program which
provides an environment tailored for building "expert systems"
(artificial intelligence doohickies).  Something like IntelliCorp's KEE
for example.  Afraid I haven't heard of such a thing on the Amiga yet.

--
	Charles Poirier   (decvax,ucbvax,mcnc,attmail)!vax135!cjp

   "Docking complete...       Docking complete...       Docking complete..."

Marc_Neil_Siskin@ub.cc.umich.edu (07/22/88)

CSlaurie from cbyyaswan.uucp asked about expert system shells for the Amiga
a couple days ago.  If she is looking for an Expert System for decision
making, then there will be an interesting system announced at AMI-EXPO.
Emerald Intellegence of Ann Arbor has written an expert system for the
Amiga and demoed it at the MACRO meeting this month.  It is a decision
tree developer and it can run external prgs according to the responce to
a set of questions.  If you are interested in more information about this
product please contact me at the address below and I will pass on your
request to the authors (they work next to my dealer's store).  Please give
me a US SNail address since Emerald Intell. isn't on this net.

         Marc_Siskin@ub.cc.umich.edu
         Ann Arbor Michigan

  We're off to see the Wizards the wonder Wizards of Amiga!!!
  See you in Chicago or saw you in Chicago depending on when you see this
 Today must be Thursday... I could never get the hang of Thuesdays...
    U of Michigan hired me.  My opinions are my own though.

lauren@cbmvax.UUCP (Lauren Brown CATS) (07/26/88)

In article <2344@antique.UUCP> vax135!cjp (Charles Poirier) writes:
>>In Message <32@cybaswan.UUCP>, cslaurie@cybaswan.UUCP (Laurie Moseley ) writes:
>>>Does anyone know of any good (or just any) expert system shells for the
>>>Amiga ?
>>

>Noooo! ... Parse that as "expert system" shells.  I.e., a program which
>provides an environment tailored for building "expert systems"
>(artificial intelligence doohickies).  Something like IntelliCorp's KEE
>for example.  Afraid I haven't heard of such a thing on the Amiga yet.
>
>--
>	Charles Poirier   (decvax,ucbvax,mcnc,attmail)!vax135!cjp

At AmiExpo in Chicago, Emerald Systems, Inc. unveiled "Magellan", an expert
system for the Amiga.

From their handout: "...Magellan turns your Amiga into a powerful
knowledge enginerring workstation...Use Magellan to capture the expertise of
your best salesperson, ...Build a system to diagnose sick Amiga's and
prescribe repair procedures. Weigh purchasing options at your job or home.
Add real artificial intelligence to games to take them to the edge.

...Best of all, use Magellan to write programs. No BASIC, no "C", no
compiler, no linking, no waiting. *No kidding*.

...Welcome artificial intelligence to the real world. Explore Magellan."

List price on the handout is $195.

For info on dealers/distributors, contact:

			Emerald Intelligence
			334 South State Street
			Ann Arbor, MI 48104
			(313) 663-8757
Lauren Brown      -- CBM   >>Amiga Technical Support<<
                     UUCP  ...{allegra,caip,ihnp4,seismo}!cbmvax!lauren
                     PHONE 215-431-9100

ain@s.cc.purdue.edu (Patrick White) (07/27/88)

>At AmiExpo in Chicago, Emerald Systems, Inc. unveiled "Magellan", an expert
>system for the Amiga.

   I also stopped by their booth and had a longish talk with them Sat. morning
about it....
   It seemed pretty full featured, simple rule syntax, nice display for the
rules, confidence factors -- and this is where it got interesting.. they said
that there were several built-in ways to crunch the fuzzy logic, and that if
those didn't work for you, you could write your own (don't see how unless it
is a compiler of sorts.. but that's what they said).
   I never actually got to see it running bacause the guy I was talking to
had just written a hardware troubleshooting system for the Amiga in it earlier
that morning and was still typing it in... did anybody get a chance to see it
in action?  How quick was it?  Did it allow access to any of the graphics
features of the Amiga?

-- Pat White
ARPA/UUCP: j.cc.purdue.edu!ain  BITNET: PATWHITE@PURCCVM  PHONE: (317) 743-8421
U.S.  Mail:  320 Brown St. apt. 406,    West Lafayette, IN 47906