[comp.sys.amiga] Laser_Printers

joe@amie.UUCP (Joe Hitchens) (07/16/88)

	I am considering purchasing a Laser Printer for my A1000 and would
  like to hear from anyone else here who has a Laser Printer on
  their Amiga so I can make an intelligent decision.
    What I am specifically interested in is ...
       -  What Inexpensive LP's are available? (LaserWriter, etc.)
       -  Which Amiga port do they use? (parrallel, serial, etc.)
       -  Is there already a printer driver available for it?
    Any help is very much appreciated and I will summarize for everyone
  if I get any responses.

  Thanks,
  j.h.

Joe Hitchens -- Barfly, Bitsko's Bar & Grill, Artist, Sculptor,
                                    Animator of Sculpture, Iconologist Adept
...!utah-cs!caeco!pedro!amie!joe
...!uunet!iconsys!caeco!pedro!amie!joe
joe@sally.utexas.edu

kgeisel@nfsun.UUCP (kurt geisel) (07/26/88)

C-Ltd. has announced a 300 DPI Amiga Laser Printer.  It is SCSI-based and will
supposedly print faster in a network than a Laser Writer, because it does
page building on the Amiga.  An article in the July 1988 Computer Shopper
magazine listed it at $2500.  If they gave a release date, I don't remember
it.  I don't think they did.

Since the printer is made for the Amiga, there should be a good printer
driver for it.  However, it is expensive, and you will need an SCSI card.

C-Ltd also announced a 300 DPI page scanner for $1500, and an "under $600"
9600 baud modem/fax.

It looks like the Amiga just might become an attractive business machine
yet.

| Kurt Geisel, Intelligent Technology Group, Inc.                          |
| Bix: kgeisel                                                             |
| ARPA: kgeisel%nfsun@uunet.uu.net            US Snail:                    |
| UUCP: uunet!nfsun!kgeisel                    65 Lambeth Dr.              |
|                                              Pittsburgh, PA 15241        |
| If a rule fires and no one sees it, did it really fire?                  |

dave@dms3b1.UUCP (Dave Hanna) (07/28/88)

In article <280@nfsun.UUCP> kgeisel@nfsun.UUCP (kurt geisel) writes:
>C-Ltd. has announced a 300 DPI Amiga Laser Printer.  It is SCSI-based and will
   [ ... ]
>driver for it.  However, it is expensive, and you will need an SCSI card.
                                                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^
Does that have to be C-Ltd's controller card?

On the same subject, now that the Amiga Hard Drive market is starting to
mature a little, what is the general concensus on the C-Ltd SCSI controller
as compared to others available?  They seem to be more or less the first,
or at least the first of those that are still around and well-known.  I
think I'll probably be getting a drive soon, and if their card is going
to be required for this printer, then I may as well get theirs.  But I
do want to make sure their haven't been a rash of negative experiences
with it.  (BTW, this will be for an A2000).

--
Dave Hanna,  Daltech MicroSystems    |  "Do or do not -- There is no try"
P.O. Box 584, Bedford, TX 76095      |                        - Yoda

louie@trantor.umd.edu (Louis A. Mamakos) (07/28/88)

In article <280@nfsun.UUCP> kgeisel@nfsun.UUCP (kurt geisel) writes:
>C-Ltd. has announced a 300 DPI Amiga Laser Printer.  It is SCSI-based and will
>supposedly print faster in a network than a Laser Writer, because it does
>page building on the Amiga.  An article in the July 1988 Computer Shopper
>magazine listed it at $2500.

This price is't signifantly cheaper than a PostScript page printer.  Why
would I want to use the processor in the Amiga to do "page building" when I
can off-load that computational task to the processor in the printer?

One of the large reasons that printing in a "network" is slow, is because
networks are slow (read: Appletalk).  I've got my PostScript printer on
a Parallel port, and it goes plenty fast for me.  It also does HP laserjet+
emulation for stuff that want to use that (like the Amiga printer drivers,
etc).

Also note, that at least for the old A1000 SCSI host adaptor, the C Ltd
SCSI interface doesn't do DMA.  Hard to see where this might be faster
than a parallel port.

Louis A. Mamakos  WA3YMH    Internet: louie@TRANTOR.UMD.EDU
University of Maryland, Computer Science Center - Systems Programming