[comp.sys.amiga] CP/M

rn999@ndmath.UUCP (Ross Niebergall) (07/25/88)

I have been looking for a CP/M emulator to use on the Amiga with mixed results.  On Fred Fish 109 there is a program called SIMCPM which simulates a 8080, but I would like one to do Z80 simulation.  If anyone has one or knows where to get one I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Ross Niebergall             Bitnet:  GNZAS6
University of Notre Dame
Dept. of Mathematics
Notre Dame, IN.
46637

dml@loral.UUCP (Dave Lewis) (07/26/88)

In article <1191@ndmath.UUCP> rn999@ndmath.UUCP (Ross Niebergall) writes:
>I have been looking for a CP/M emulator to use on the Amiga with mixed results.
>...to do Z80 simulation.  If anyone has one or knows where to get

 ..and just this weekend I was digging out and restacking a bunch of old
magazines. In my stack of Dr. Dobb's Journals I found exactly that -- an 8080
emulator in 68000 assembly language. The beast was written to run on CP/M 68000
(geccch) but it might not be too hard to get it to run on the Amiga...maybe.
It uses a jump table and 256 instruction emulation routines. Some, but not all,
Z-80 instructions are also simulated. The author says it has about the same
performance as a 1.4 meg Z-80 when run on an 8 meg 68000 (the original Z-80 ran
at 2.5 megs) although some programs slow it down more than others.

  This listing was split over the Jan, Feb and March 1986 issues of Dr. Dobb's
Journal. I've got 'em sitting on my Amiga desk and I'm gonna type them in one
of these days, really I am. I'll post it to the net if I ever get it running.

  By the way, is anybody out there using Aegis Draw Plus? I wrote a short
program that generates regular n-sided polygons and outputs them in Draw+
part format and if there's enough interest out there I'll post it. Also, I'm
using Draw+ for PCB layout; is anybody else out there doing that? (I'm using
it for schematics, graphic art, woodworking and furniture configuration, too)

--
Dave Lewis      Loral Instrumentation      San Diego    (619) 282-3341
  ihnp4 --\   bang --\ kontron -\

sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) (07/27/88)

In Message <1191@ndmath.UUCP>, rn999@ndmath.UUCP (Ross Niebergall) writes:

>I have been looking for a CP/M emulator to use on the Amiga with mixed results.
>On Fred Fish 109 there is a program called SIMCPM which simulates a 8080, but I
>would like one to do Z80 simulation.  If anyone has one or knows where to get
>one I would appreciate it.

  I don't know where you can get one, but I do know a local guy who is a real
  CP/M buff (nut is more like it :-). He uses a BridgeBoard and some ms-dos
  Z80 card. It may not be cheap, but it works!

>Thanks in advance.

 Your welcome......

>Ross Niebergall             Bitnet:  GNZAS6

--
 Dan "Sneakers" Schein   {ihnp4|allegra|burdvax|rutgers}!cbmvax!heimat!sneakers
 Sneakers Computing

 Of course heimat is an Amiga, doesn't everyone run UUCP & UseNet on an Amiga?

koster@cory.Berkeley.EDU (JAG (Just Another Guy)) (07/28/88)

I know of a CP/M emulator that is in the public domain on the fish disks.
It even has some test programs that work.

Okay, a version is on FF # 109. I think it has source also.

lbruck@eneevax.UUCP (Lewis S.Bruck) (07/28/88)

In article <1814@loral.UUCP> dml@loral.UUCP (Dave Lewis) writes:
>In article <1191@ndmath.UUCP> rn999@ndmath.UUCP (Ross Niebergall) writes:
>>I have been looking for a CP/M emulator to use on the Amiga with mixed results.
>>...to do Z80 simulation.  If anyone has one or knows where to get
>
> ..and just this weekend I was digging out and restacking a bunch of old
>magazines. In my stack of Dr. Dobb's Journals I found exactly that -- an 8080
>emulator in 68000 assembly language. The beast was written to run on CP/M 68000

the raw source for the simulator is available via anonymous ftp from
trantor.umd.edu in info-amiga/simulate-8080, along with a lot of other
amigoid software.  I don't know in what shape the source is in (spherical
files :-)

-----------
Lewis Bruck
lbruck@eneevax.umd.edu
Not officially official to say I am not official enough to say anything

rap@ardent.UUCP (Rob Peck) (07/29/88)

This is Errata4 for the Programmers Guide To The Amiga:

In listing 4.9, the main barchart program, the line

	WaitPort(w->UserPort);

should be moved down to become the first statement inside
the wait(1) loop.  The program apparently works without
this change, but has the unfortunate side effect of a
polling-the-UserPort-busy-wait-loop.  The fix makes the
program multi-tasking friendly.  So the resultant change
makes the loop:

	while(1)
	{
		WaitPort(w->UserPort);
		msg=(struct IntuiMessage *)GetMsg(w->UserPort);

	... and so on.

Rob Peck