[comp.sys.amiga] AmiEXPO Update

kjohn@richp1.UUCP (John K. Counsulatant) (07/27/88)

	Hi all,

I thought everyone would like to know how AmiEXPO (in Chicago) went.

Well....  I had a great time and saw many interesting things. like:

C.Ltd had their new SCSInet software running along with their new SCSI
LASER PRINTER and IMAGE SCANNER.  These things are great, they will really
place the Amiga into the business marketplace.  It is all available now (I
think :-), although I can't remember the prices :-).

ASDG had their control (i.e. home appliance control BMX...)
hardware/software on display.  It seems to be up and running, although I
got no word on when it would be available.

Commodore distributed the Omega 6 release of KS/WB 1.3 to all of the
registered developers at the show, dunno what was changed, except for a fix
to a problem in FFS.  I hope Commodore releases 1.3 soon, they're running
out of Greek letters .... ;-), maybe it'll be called 1.4 ? (very big :-).

There were tons of company showing LIVE! style real-time frame grabbers,
several 3D packages with some of the best animation I've seen.  Byte by
Byte even had Scuplt 4D being advertised (but not shown).

Commodore was showing its 2024 (I think that's the number) monitor (still
in beta) running X-Windows along side (as opposed to under) AmigaDOS.  This
monitor supports hi-res monochrome display (I think it was something like
1024x800, whatever it was it looked super sharp!).  Dale Luck was very busy
showing this baby off to everyone, looks like another winner of a product
for Commodore (if it makes out to the market :-).

Commodore was also showing RGB's and CSA's 68020 and 68030 (!!!) boards.
The 68030 boards listed an option for 1.3KS to be in "fast ROM".  Gee, I
wonder how this is possible with 1.3 not being released yet????? :-)

Commodore (I was at their both a lot)  also had some new dealer demo tapes
showing.  These tape show real people (artists, designers, video production
people, etc.) using Amigas in their work.  A big KUDO to CA for creating
such well made marketing tools for their dealers.

The USENET get-together seemed to be a big success (once we all found the
totally unmarked Captain's Walk).  Everyone intoduced themselves and all had
fun.  During the get-together we had a software swap of many excellent
pieces of software.  I made copies of everything, watch for a posting in
the next day or two listing everything that I have available for
distribution to those that didn't make the EXPO.

I met many people from CA, C.Ltd, ASDG, AmiTransactor, .....  The only
thing I could find in common with all of them is that they are some of the
friendliest people I have met in a long time.

To all of the USENETers I met all I can say is thanx for coming, it was
great meeting you all in person !!!!  Now if I can only match all of the
faces with the names :-) (I am pretty bad at that as you all well know by
now :-).

Anywho, I guess that about wraps it up for now, see you on the bit stream.

						KJohn

P.S.
	Oh yea, one funny thing did happen.  While collecting everyone up
go to the get-together, I found Leo (the caped one :-).  He said he was
going there and not to worry, he had directions (unfortunately I couldn't
get him to realize that they were my directions and not exact enough to
find the place.).  Anyway, Leo took the lead and we followed him until he
ran out of directions, then he decided to let me take over.  Well, by now I
was in totally unfamilar territory.  So I walked over to what appeared to be
the bottom of an opening I remembered seeing from the Captain's Walk and saw
CB and a few others standing up there.  I yelled up to him, "How do we get up
their?". One of the other USENETers replied, use the stairs (duh :-).  Well,
I saw some stairs, but couldn't see the bottom of them from were I stood so
I said "What stairs?" (duh, duh).  Well to make a long story short, someone
came down and got us and we all made it to the get-together.

The moral to the whole story is don't follow someone if you think they're
going the wrong way (even if it is Leo :-), even if they have written
directions (or especially when you wrote the wrong the directions!).  I
dunno, I guess you just had to have been there :-).  A whole bunch of
people were following Leo around like ducklings to a mother duck, I guess
Leo, and his cape :-) must attract a crowd every where they go.

					KJohn

P.S.
	Very, very special thanx to:

	1) Christian Blazer for bringing TurboBackup (without which, I
	would probably still be copying disks for Saturday :-)

	2) Marc Siskin & Larry Rosenman for bringing the Fish and AMICUS
	disks respectively.

	3) Lionel Hummel for bring the new and improved PD C!!!!!

	4) And a special thanx to all those other USENETers (and some
	non-USENETers) for making it all possible.

P.P.S.
	If anyone wants some real details on anything I mentioned, drop me
	some EMail and I'll EMail, or if volume is high, I'll post a
	responce.

I can be reached at:

RealTime (prefered):  1(312)418-1236  (6pm to 10:30pm central time)

USmail:               John Kjellman
                      17302 Park Ave.
                      Lansing IL 60438

E-Mail:                kjohn@richp1.UUCP

--
|DISCLAIMER:  Being a consultant, none of my opions represent anything.       |
|             Except possiblely my own, but then again, maybe not.            |

hedley@cbmvax.UUCP (Hedley Davis) (07/27/88)

In article <337@richp1.UUCP> kjohn@richp1.UUCP (John Scott Kjellman (consultant)) writes:

>Commodore was showing its 2024 (I think that's the number) monitor (still
>in beta) running X-Windows along side (as opposed to under) AmigaDOS.  This
>monitor supports hi-res monochrome display (I think it was something like
>1024x800, whatever it was it looked super sharp!).  Dale Luck was very busy
>showing this baby off to everyone, looks like another winner of a product
>for Commodore (if it makes out to the market :-).

	I am unamused. :-)
	It takes a while to suck the air out of all those picture tubes.

Hedley

carolyn@cbmvax.UUCP (Carolyn Scheppner CATS) (07/29/88)

In article <337@richp1.UUCP> kjohn@richp1.UUCP (John Scott Kjellman (consultant)) writes:

>[]
>I thought everyone would like to know how AmiEXPO (in Chicago) went.
>[]
>Commodore distributed the Omega 6 release of KS/WB 1.3 to all of the
>registered developers at the show, dunno what was changed, except for a fix
>to a problem in FFS.  I hope Commodore releases 1.3 soon, they're running
>out of Greek letters .... ;-), maybe it'll be called 1.4 ? (very big :-).

Let me clarify.  I (not Commodore) spent most of my day and 1/2 at AmiExpo
running around letting registered developers copy the brand new Omega 6
Workbench, Extras, and Includes (not KS/WB) from my masters.  I did not
manage to get it to every developer at the show :-(

  Carolyn Scheppner -- CATS  Commodore Amiga Technical Support
  PHONE 215-431-9180   UUCP  ...{uunet,allegra,rutgers}!cbmvax!carolyn

 Oh I'm a numberjack and I'm OK, I code all night and I work all day...