[comp.sys.amiga] AmigaDOS 1.3. Will it ever come out?

ncreed@ndsuvax.UUCP (Walter Reed) (07/28/88)

I was at the local user group meeting the other day, and the topic of
1.3 came up.  It basically came down to the fact that people want 1.3
now.  They want auto booting hard-disks and the fast file system TODAY,
not next year.  Sure, 1.3 may still have bugs, but it always will.  There
are rumors about 1.3 being scrapped and just waiting for 1.4.  I feel that
this would be a very poor decision.  You can't put off releasing a new
version of software for over 2 years, because people will loose faith in
the manufacturers ability to support the product.  It is beginning to
seem like C= is never going to release another version of the OS.  All
I hear is "It's comming, It's comming... just be patient."  Well, I
and other Amiga owners can't wait forever.  Can C= set up a deal that
non-registered developers can get the latest and greatest version of 1.3
like they did with the 1.2 native developers upgrade?  The manual can be
totally disk based.  I can't afford the $500 commercial developers thingy
when I write freeware (along with alot of other people.)  I don't want an
undocumented stolen copy of some gamma version.  I want a way I can
BUY the latest version.

Does anyone else have the same ideas about this as I do?

Commodore?  What say?
--
------  Walter Reed  ------   + uunet!ndsuvax!ncreed or ncreed@ndsuvax.BITNET
"There's no point in being    +      or ncreed@plains.NoDak.edu

In article <1059@ndsuvax.UUCP> ncreed@ndsuvax.UUCP (Walter Reed) writes:
>There are rumors about 1.3 being scrapped and just waiting for 1.4.

	I haven't heard any of them here, only from people like you.

>It is beginning to
>seem like C= is never going to release another version of the OS.  All
>I hear is "It's comming, It's comming... just be patient."

	Well, it is.  We've been all working on 1.4 for some time now,
except for the occaisional fix for QA (each fix bringing out another
Omega version).  I don't know exactly when it'll be out, but I guarantee
you we didn't plan for it to take this long.  A problem would have to be
REAL major at this point to cause a rev.  (And some of the latest fixes were,
as you'd know if you read amiga.dev on bix (an open-to-everyone conference.)

>I can't afford the $500 commercial developers thingy
>when I write freeware (along with alot of other people.)

	$500?  $50 is the generic developers rates, commercial developers
rates I think are higher than $500.  Talk to CATS.

--
Randell Jesup, Commodore Engineering {uunet|rutgers|allegra}!cbmvax!jesup