[comp.sys.amiga] drive probs + One hack that worked

rhir_ltd@ur-tut (Bob Hirosky) (07/31/88)

In article <18200001@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu> rdodds@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>  I have just recently purchased an Amiga 500 and have had
>a few problems with the internal drive.  At first the drive
>seemed misaligned, so I brought it in to my local amiga
>store to have the drive aligned. After bringing it home,
>I put in my copy of my workbench and it had a read error.
>These read errors seemed to spread to a few of my other disks.
>I decided to bring my A500 and external drive in
>again to have them fully checked out.  They both passed.
>So I got a new copy of workbench and checked out all my disks
>with diskdoctor to see if they had any hard errors.  My
>original workbench disk had 10 hard errors.
>Later I tried to boot up my new workbench again and ONCE
>AGAIN I GOT READ ERRORS!!!  I, being very annoyed at this time,
>reformated my original workbench and used diskdoctor on
>it one more time.  This time it checked out to have NO
>hard errors!  Do I have some sort of virus or is my drive
>trashing my disks?

	I've experienced similar problems and I'm curious to hear any
comments on my "solution".  After having the drive replaced (under
warranty) and seeing no improvement, I received a few suggestions
from the net.  Everyone seemed to blame the power supply. So I replaced
it and my drive worked (for about one day).
	By this time my warranty was up and I was screwed.  So I went
hunting around inside my Amy for loose drive cables, cracked PCB traces,
etc..  I eventually noticed that the drive worked fine OUTSIDE of the
A500, but not inside.  After much sleuthing around I noticed that the
drive worked if I broke the ground connection between the two metal
standoffs on the drive and my computer's motherboard.  Well two nylon
screws and washers later and after 5 months of pure frustration,
I have a working drive.  I don't have a scope at home, but I think I
smell a noisy ground.
			THE END?
 		Bob
			bob@uorhep.bitnet