[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga vi wanted

randall@metheus.UUCP (Randall Henderson) (07/28/88)

Does any one know of a public domain or retail version of a
vi or  vi-like editor for the Amiga?  No wait, please don't
gag, EMACS fans, it's what I'm used to, I use it at work every
day and I really don't feel like having to do a context switch
when I go home.

I could probably port one if it weren't too machine dependent.

Or... I seem to remember hearing about an editor that's highly
user configurable so I may be able to map it to look like vi.
Anyone know about this?  I don't remember the name.

Randall Henderson

kim@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) (07/30/88)

In article <128@metheus.UUCP>, randall@metheus.UUCP (Randall Henderson) writes:
> Does any one know of a public domain or retail version of a
> vi or  vi-like editor for the Amiga?
>
> Or... I seem to remember hearing about an editor that's highly
> user configurable so I may be able to map it to look like vi.

Well, the Manx "z" editor (comes bundled in the complete version of their
compiler package) is supposed to be "vi-like".

And there is supposed to be a set of macros for the shareware Uedit editor
that makes it "close to vi".  Someone here on the net has mentioned this a
time or two, but I've never seen anything posted ...

And I recently shipped Matt Dillon a set of macros that were developed by
Bela Lubkin for his "dme" editor that make dme look alot like *Wordstar",
so it's quite likely that one could get dme to look alot like vi, too.

If anyone is interested in these dme macros (they make good macro examples),
I can email them, or post if there is enough demand (EMAIL me if you're
interested).

The dme and ARexx macros *I* use with dme, have allowed me to get dme to
look more and more like *my* favorite editor, XEDIT (and/or KEDIT).

BTW, the latest version of dme (v1.30) was shipped off to the moderators
at purdue several weeks ago ...

/kim

--
UUCP:  kim@amdahl.amdahl.com
  or:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,uunet,oliveb,ames}!amdahl!kim

bjc@pollux.UUCP (Betty J. Clay) (07/30/88)

In article <128@metheus.UUCP> randall@metheus.UUCP (Randall Henderson) writes:
>Does any one know of a public domain or retail version of a
>vi or  vi-like editor for the Amiga?  No wait, please don't
>user configurable so I may be able to map it to look like vi.
There is a program on PLINK called avi.arc.  It is a rather large subset of the vi editor.  'Twas placed there about the middle of June, if that helps.

Betty Clay
........killer!pollux!bjc

ejkst@cisunx.UUCP (Eric J. Kennedy) (07/30/88)

In article <128@metheus.UUCP> randall@metheus.UUCP (Randall Henderson) writes:
>Does any one know of a public domain or retail version of a
>vi or  vi-like editor for the Amiga?  No wait, please don't
>gag, EMACS fans, it's what I'm used to, I use it at work every
>day and I really don't feel like having to do a context switch
>when I go home.
>
>I could probably port one if it weren't too machine dependent.
>
>Or... I seem to remember hearing about an editor that's highly
>user configurable so I may be able to map it to look like vi.
>Anyone know about this?  I don't remember the name.

The name of the editor is Uedit, and you don't have to go to the trouble
to make it look like vi, because I've already done it for you.  My
emulator has just about all of the normal moving, inserting, deleteing,
yanking, putting, marking, undeleting, etc. commands, plus a few other
things like :ab abbreviations and ctags.  In addition, it keeps all of
the great Uedit features like multiple files, split windows, learn mode,
and user customization.

I am in the process of trying to get it posted, or failing that, put in
an ftp'able archive someplace.  If all that doesn't work, I'll consider
emailing it.  (What the heck, I just applied for graduation today, what
can they do to me after I'm gone?)  I've also been distributing it by
U.S. mail.  ($3 or disk and SASE gets the latest version.)

Note:  Uedit is shareware/commercial product.  The vi emulator works
fine with the freely distributable trial version, and, of course the
vi emulator is freely distributable.

Eric Kennedy
300 N. Dithridge, Apt 301
Pittsburgh, PA  15213

--
------------
Eric Kennedy

Martin_J_Brown-Jr@cup.portal.com (07/30/88)

Randall, UEdit, by Rick Stiles, is highly configurable and the latest version
if it is out, is supposed to have an AREXX "interface". There are pd versions
around with somewhat less features (?) than the commercial version. For mor
info you can contact Rick Stiles, P.O. Box 666, Washington, Indiana, 47501,
(812) 254-4986. I'm not sure of the current price, but it's probably around
$50 (+/- $15). Actually, now the I look it up, I was offered the AREXX version
(V2.3h) some time ago for $18, but I'm a registered user. UEdit has alot going
for it. Try it, you'll like it.
                                        - Martin Brown -

sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) (07/31/88)

The "z" editor, written by Jim Goodnow (hi Jim) and included with Manx C is
pretty good. It acts extremely close to "vi", which I've used almost
exclusively now for about 5 years. It does NOT do "ex" commands, except for
a very tiny subset, and it doesn't do decent regular expression processing.
This means that commands like ":g/^/ s//>/" aint gonna work.  I also miss
"!Gfmt-77", but you can't have everything I guess.

I'm surprised there isn't more out there, because there are several vi
clones for MessyDos machines, some of them almost exactly like vi, and some
a bit better.

Sean
--
***  Sean Casey                        sean@ms.uky.edu,  sean@ukma.bitnet
***  The Man of Many Flashlights.      {backbone|rutgers|uunet}!ukma!sean

sobczak@usceast.UUCP (Ron Sobczak) (07/31/88)

In article <11390@pollux.UUCP> bjc@pollux.UUCP () writes:
>In article <128@metheus.UUCP> randall@metheus.UUCP (Randall Henderson) writes:
>>Does any one know of a public domain or retail version of a
>>vi or  vi-like editor for the Amiga?
>There is a program on PLINK called avi.arc.  It is a rather large subset of the vi editor.  'Twas placed there about the middle of June, if that helps.
>
>Betty Clay
>........killer!pollux!bjc

The version of avi that I have has CTRL-D and CTRL-U *REVERSED*.
AAAAAARRRRRGGGHH!

--Barry

(Barry Parris, using a borrowed account)

No fancy, smancy signature...It's too damn late!!!!