[comp.sys.amiga] Autoboot upgrade

perley@mazda.steinmetz (Donald P Perley) (08/02/88)

In article <7797@cup.portal.com> Gary_D_Walborn@cup.portal.com writes:
>M.A.S.T. (Memory and Storage Technology) announced a new accelerator board
>for any Amiga that plugs into the 68000 slot.  The board features a 14 MHz
>68000 and a socket for a 68881.  In addition the board contains 8K of RAM
>with a battery backup that will function as autoboot ROM and allows you to
>autoboot from hard disks without the ROM (such as a 2090).  I am extremely
>interested in this item.  According to M.A.S.T. this board will be available
>in about 6 weeks for $139.  For further information, contact:

I was wondering myself if there is any reason the autoboot rom had to be
on the controller card itself.  Commodore has said that the 2090
isn't upgradable, but could they come out with  some other way of
getting that rom on the bus? (standalone card, or lumped in with memory
or serial port card?)  Maybe this accelerator is the way to go?

I have been waffling on getting a hard drive because of the 2090A
looming on the horizon.  If I have some reasonable path to a hard drive
boot, then I can proceed with conviction.

To rephrase: I can spend my money on a controller now or later.  Both
Commodore and I would rather I spent it now, right?

-don perley