[comp.sys.amiga] A500 expansion connector

finkel@TAURUS.BITNET (08/07/88)

Hello everyone,

I can get a C Ltd. 2M memory expansion for the A1000 at a really tempting
price. The only problem is that I own an A500, and not an A1000.
Are there any problems in hooking the memory expansion unit, besides the
simple mechanical problems? I know that I would have to stick it upside
down, but I can get it at such a low price, that I'm willing to buy it,
even if I'll have those mechanical problems.

Shortly, is the A500 expansion connector different from the A1000 expansion
connector, BESIDES the fact that it's upside-down, and on the opposite
side of the machine? I have ordered a disk controller ( very similiar to
the WEDGE but based on OMTI 5520/5527 ) from germany that is intended for
both the A1000 and the A500. They explicity mention that all you have to
do is to stick it upside down. ( BTW, it's a kit, so all I have to do is
to solder a 90 degree connector in the proper direction ).

Udi

Udi Finkelstein       | Bitnet:   finkel@taurus.bitnet or finkel@math.tau.ac.il
Tel Aviv University   | Internet: finkel%taurus.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu
Israel                | UUCP:     ...!psuvax1!taurus.bitnet!finkel

billd@crash.cts.com (Bill D'Camp) (08/08/88)

In article <8808062311.AA08345@MATH.Tau.Ac.IL> <finkel%TAURUS.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU> writes:
>Hello everyone,
>
>I can get a C Ltd. 2M memory expansion for the A1000 at a really tempting
>price. The only problem is that I own an A500, and not an A1000.
>Are there any problems in hooking the memory expansion unit, besides the
>simple mechanical problems? I know that I would have to stick it upside
>down, but I can get it at such a low price, that I'm willing to buy it,
>even if I'll have those mechanical problems.
>
>Shortly, is the A500 expansion connector different from the A1000 expansion
>connector, BESIDES the fact that it's upside-down, and on the opposite

NO!!!!!! I hope you haven't already smoked this board your talking about
connecting to your A500.  The expansion connector on the A500 is rotated
180 degrees from the orientation of the A1000, the connector is NOT
UPSIDE-DOWN.  If you attempt to plug anything into the A500 upside-down
you will definitely smoke (as in burnup) whatever you're trying to connect.

--
    _   /|		    Fundamentally Oral Bill
    \`o_O'		    UUCP: {akqua,hplabs!hp-sdd,sdcsvax,nosc}crash!billd

	     Bill's Boards --- peripherals for the Amiga