[comp.sys.amiga] Introductory Postings Needed?

plouff@nac.dec.com (Wes Plouff) (07/23/88)

Even though comp.sys.amiga is an unmoderated group, the influx of new
Amiga owners is causing repetition of the same basic questions every
couple of months.  I suggest that someone, preferably one of the more
senior posters to this conference, start sending out monthly
"introductory" postings.

The goals of these postings would be to familiarize new readers with the
newsgroup, and to cut down the number of basic questions, conserving
net.bandwidth.  It's important that the postings be factual, objective
and barely opinionated.  It's also important that disagreements about
contents of introductory postings not turn into flame wars.

If some one person (and the rest of the net) feel up to these
guidelines, here is a possible structure.  The introductory posting
could consist of a short explanation of comp.sys.amiga, and answers to
about 25-35 common questions.  The posting could run, say, 300 lines.
Some general topics which could provide four or five questions each are:

1.  Usenet groups concerned with the Amiga, and how to use them.  Also,
general Usenet information and netetiquette.

2.  Infrastructure.  Pointers to magazines, BBS lists, Fish Disks,
resource guides.

3.  CATS.  Presence on the net, stuff for sale, how to become a
registered developer.

4.  The machines.  Differences among models, expansion, PC emulation,
next release of the OS.

5.  PD software.  Comp.sources/binaries.amiga vs. archives and Fish
disks, how to download and unpack, rules for posting, discussion of
viruses and other nasties.

6.  Miscellaneous questions.  Boot colors, cables, cheap expansion
products, rules for reviews and product comparisons on the net,
discussion of product cost vs. parts cost (why is it so expensive), etc.

These are just thought starters.  Seems to me we can apply a little
intelligence to improve the quality of life in this group without
controversy.

--
Wes Plouff, Digital Equipment Corp, Littleton, Mass.
plouff%nac.dec@decwrl.dec.com

"[Both Andrew] Grove and [Bill] Gates love the fact that it's called
`the IBM PC,' and they just collect monopoly profits on Intel chips and
DOS and OS/2 software." -- Scott McNealy, chairman of Sun Microsystems

karl@sugar.uu.net (Karl Lehenbauer) (07/24/88)

In article <8807222120.AA01368@decwrl.dec.com>, plouff@nac.dec.com (Wes
Plouff) suggests that having an oft-posted "Intro to comp.sys.amiga"
message that gives a lot of info about the group and answers oft-asked
questions, much like the intro-to-the-net messages.  He then provides
an excellent list of things to include.

Here's a draft of some typical questions and answers I'd like to see
included.  Some are a bit tounge-in-cheek.

-----------------------

Q:  When I turn my Amiga on, it makes a horrible screeching noise, smokes,
    and won't boot.  Is something wrong with it, or what?

A:  Your Amiga is broken.  You need to get it fixed.

Q:  The dealer in Bandar Absudristan sucks.

A:  There's nothing anybody on the net can do about it.  The Commodore people
    who're on the network do not work in this area.  The people on the net
    represent a precious resource to us as Amiga users for they provide
    technical support for the machine, including enhancing the software and
    developing new hardware.  There aren't very many of them and they are on
    the net only because they're nice.  Their official support is on Bix, an
    expensive multiuser BBS.  So it's only fair of us not to ask them to
    forward our complaints about dealers.

    A surface-mail letter to XXXXXXXXXX @ Commodore XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX is your
    best bet.  If you are looking for an alternative dealer, posting to your
    regional distribution would be more appropriate.

Q:  I want to know if I should buy an Atari ST or an Amiga or what?  (usually
    crossposted comp.sys.atari.st as well)

A:  [someone should insert a quick rundown of display resolutions,
    multitasking, architecture, DMA, etc, etc.  Conclude with suggesting
    that they should try both if they can and pick the machine that they
    think is right for them.  Of course they should expect most readers
    of comp.sys.amiga to like the Amiga pretty much.]

Q:  this is a test message

A:  If you want to see if you're getting out to the net, post to a test group
    with a limited distribution.  If you're getting out to nearby sites, you'll
    get out to the net.

Q:  I hate copy protection and I'm going to boycott XXX, etc.

A:  Copy protection wars flare up periodically on the net and grow to span
    many newsgroups.  This is a difficult and emotional question, with many
    viewpoints, and a viscous circle forms as ever-more-outrageous postings pour
    forth, including all sorts of subskirmishes within, along with the
    outraged bleating of a bunch of people as to the total inappropriateness
    of all this within this group.  The fact is that copy protection issues
    are relevant to all computers, and thus should not be discussed in, *or
    crossposted to*, comp.sys.amiga.
--
-- backups:  always in season; never out of style.
-- karl@sugar.uu.net aka uunet!sugar!karl

disd@hubcap.UUCP (Gary Heffelfinger) (07/25/88)

From article <8807222120.AA01368@decwrl.dec.com>, by plouff@nac.dec.com (Wes Plouff):
> Even though comp.sys.amiga is an unmoderated group, the influx of new
> Amiga owners is causing repetition of the same basic questions every
> couple of months.  I suggest that someone, preferably one of the more
> senior posters to this conference, start sending out monthly
> "introductory" postings.
[Some very good ideas for these postings deleted]

I'd also like to see something similar in the .tech group.  Not so much
because I'm tired of seeing duplicate postings, but because I'd like to
see solutions to common programming problems condensed into a few
printable, fileable postings.

Gary
> Wes Plouff, Digital Equipment Corp, Littleton, Mass.

--
Gary Heffelfinger   ---   Employed by, but not the mouthpiece of
                          Clemson University.

In article <8807222120.AA01368@decwrl.dec.com> plouff@nac.dec.com (Wes Plouff) writes:
>Even though comp.sys.amiga is an unmoderated group, the influx of new
>Amiga owners is causing repetition of the same basic questions every
>couple of months.  I suggest that someone, preferably one of the more
>senior posters to this conference, start sending out monthly
>"introductory" postings.
>
>The goals of these postings would be to familiarize new readers with the
>newsgroup, and to cut down the number of basic questions, conserving
>net.bandwidth.  It's important that the postings be factual, objective
>and barely opinionated.  It's also important that disagreements about
>contents of introductory postings not turn into flame wars.
>
>If some one person (and the rest of the net) feel up to these
>guidelines, here is a possible structure.  The introductory posting
>could consist of a short explanation of comp.sys.amiga, and answers to
>about 25-35 common questions.  The posting could run, say, 300 lines.
>Some general topics which could provide four or five questions each are:
>
>1.  Usenet groups concerned with the Amiga, and how to use them.  Also,
>general Usenet information and netetiquette.
>
>2.  Infrastructure.  Pointers to magazines, BBS lists, Fish Disks,
>resource guides.
>
>3.  CATS.  Presence on the net, stuff for sale, how to become a
>registered developer.
>
>4.  The machines.  Differences among models, expansion, PC emulation,
>next release of the OS.
>
>5.  PD software.  Comp.sources/binaries.amiga vs. archives and Fish
>disks, how to download and unpack, rules for posting, discussion of
>viruses and other nasties.
>
>6.  Miscellaneous questions.  Boot colors, cables, cheap expansion
>products, rules for reviews and product comparisons on the net,
>discussion of product cost vs. parts cost (why is it so expensive), etc.
>
>These are just thought starters.  Seems to me we can apply a little
>intelligence to improve the quality of life in this group without
>controversy.

Hard disks !!  A LOT of the postings recently, in both amiga and
.tech have been about harddisks. Funny, they wernt here 2 years
ago :-)

The PC and mac groups have had the same problems, tons and tons
of hard disk postings, this may account for their high volume.

Of course I'm biased -- I just got a hard disk.

The concept of a .newusers group is not new, but it's gonna take
somebody a lot of work. The same issue popped up a while back in
comp.graphics - the same questions kept popping up againa and again
and again and again; everybody decided that a comp.graphics.newusers
was the way to go and then noting happened.

Maybe a big posting every three weeks (bi monthly being too frequent
and monthly not frequent enough) with commonly asked questions would
be the best way to habdle this, with some good mechanism to add
stuff to it.

It's going to take somebody who really cares about the NET and who
has a fair amount of time on their hands.

--
        Many have been bought by rich people, from other countries.
richard@gryphon.CTS.COM                               {backbone}!gryphon!richard

jdow@pnet02.cts.com (Joanne Dow) (07/25/88)

(Gee, as I posted on usenet - bix has over 12megs of purely amiga conference
stuff online right now for spelunking for old answers. It saves a lot of
redundant questions - and redundant answers...)
{o.o}
        Sowwy re the commercial bit it's hard to resist.

UUCP: {ihnp4!scgvaxd!cadovax, <backbone>}!gryphon!pnet02!jdow
INET: jdow@pnet02.cts.com

ain@s.cc.purdue.edu (Patrick White) (07/25/88)

In article <2331@sugar.uu.net> karl@sugar.uu.net (Karl Lehenbauer) writes:
>In article <8807222120.AA01368@decwrl.dec.com>, plouff@nac.dec.com (Wes
>Plouff) suggests that having an oft-posted "Intro to comp.sys.amiga"
>message that gives a lot of info about the group and answers oft-asked
>questions, much like the intro-to-the-net messages.  He then provides
>an excellent list of things to include.

   How about posting such a beast with something like a 3-month expiration
date.. that way, it would be the *first* article a new user ever reads...
could also put in some info about what the group is intended for...

   naw.. that seems like it makes too much sense... dumb idea... sorry to
bother ya all.

-- Pat White
ARPA/UUCP: j.cc.purdue.edu!ain  BITNET: PATWHITE@PURCCVM  PHONE: (317) 743-8421
U.S.  Mail:  320 Brown St. apt. 406,    West Lafayette, IN 47906

david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) (07/26/88)

In article <4985@gryphon.CTS.COM> jdow@pnet02.cts.com (Joanne Dow) writes:
>(Gee, as I posted on usenet - bix has over 12megs of purely amiga conference
>stuff online right now for spelunking for old answers. It saves a lot of
>redundant questions - and redundant answers...)
>{o.o}
>        Sowwy re the commercial bit it's hard to resist.

gee ... only 12 megs?  that's only a season's traffic here ...

Please try harder to resist in the future ...

We see at least 130 megs per month going through all of usenet.  There
is no way that we could all afford to keep *everything* forever ...

Given that there's very little history on Usenet, things like
Frequently Asked Questions happen a lot.  A posting like what
being proposed is a Very Good Thing.

Whoever is putting this together -- if there is anything I can
do to help just let me know.  I won't be able to give any technical
hints about Amiga's, *but* I can help some with the automatic postings
if you need.  The basic idea is simply to have a file somewhere which
has the complete article including headers; then every month or
two weeks (it's real easy to do this in your monthly news cleanup
script) you do "inews -h <that-file".
--
<---- David Herron -- The E-Mail guy                         <david@ms.uky.edu>
<---- ska: David le casse\*'      {rutgers,uunet}!ukma!david, david@UKMA.BITNET

edwin@hcr.UUCP (Edwin Hoogerbeets) (07/26/88)

In article <8807222120.AA01368@decwrl.dec.com> plouff@nac.dec.com.UUCP writes:
>Even though comp.sys.amiga is an unmoderated group, the influx of new
>Amiga owners is causing repetition of the same basic questions every
>couple of months.  I suggest that someone, preferably one of the more
>senior posters to this conference, start sending out monthly
>"introductory" postings.
[plus more]

This sounds like a very good idea! This could also be a reference
document for even those who have been on the net longer. (Who actually
remembers what the startup colours mean off the top of their head?)

This should be a collective net effort.

Other suggestions might be including the email addresses of amiga
luminhcr on the net (if they are willing), which might be helpful
when asking for source, help or sending in shareware donations, etc.

>If some one person (and the rest of the net) feel up to these
>guidelines, here is a possible structure.

I'm willing to collect mail and organize it into a posting, if no one
else feels up to it. If you have something you think should be in this,
send me mail at {utai,utzoo,utcsri,lsuc,ncrcan}!hcr!edwin

I just picked up the posting about the most common novice Amiga
programmer mistakes, which I think would be suitable for the
introductory posting.

------ --------- = -------------------------------------------
Edwin (Deepthot)                      Waterloo co-op student, HCR Corporation
Hoogerbeets		                   2A computer science and psychology
utai!{utzoo,utcsri}!hcr!edwin                 Null human body; hope that's ok
                    edwin@hcr       //                        Me Tarzan, Unix
or:                                //                         I/owe is costly
...!hcr!MsgPort!edwin          \\ //   Amiga        Glider pilots are experts
A B2000 running UUPC            \X/  Enthusiast             at keeping it up!

perley@mazda.steinmetz (Donald P Perley) (07/27/88)

In article <4985@gryphon.CTS.COM> jdow@pnet02.cts.com (Joanne Dow) writes:
>(Gee, as I posted on usenet - bix has over 12megs of purely amiga conference
>stuff online right now for spelunking for old answers. It saves a lot of
>redundant questions - and redundant answers...)
>{o.o}
>        Sowwy re the commercial bit it's hard to resist.

Gee, we have around 25 megs of amiga stuff  from usenet archived
(a lot of that is compressed file size), not counting things from
this month that haven't expired yet.  Probably some more somewhere
on tape.  Sorry re dumping on your bix advantage, but it's hard to
resist :-)

That is a lot to search through.  Even if a new user wrote
a shell script to do the searching, he probably would have trouble
coming up with good parameters to search on.

-don perley

ncreed@ndsuvax.UUCP (Walter Reed) (07/27/88)

In article <11660@steinmetz.ge.com> perley@mazda.steinmetz.ge.com (Donald P Perley) writes:
]
]In article <4985@gryphon.CTS.COM> jdow@pnet02.cts.com (Joanne Dow) writes:
]>(Gee, as I posted on usenet - bix has over 12megs of purely amiga conference
]>stuff online right now for spelunking for old answers. It saves a lot of
]>redundant questions - and redundant answers...)
]>        Sowwy re the commercial bit it's hard to resist.
]Gee, we have around 25 megs of amiga stuff  from usenet archived
]... Probably some more somewhere
]on tape.  Sorry re dumping on your bix advantage, but it's hard to
]resist :-)
]-don perley
Hmmm, Our site has every amiga thing since net.micro.amiga article #1.  Of
course all that stuff is on tape, but it seems to me that alot of major sites
would have done the same thing.  I would hate to even guess how many megs
of stuff is still floating around.  I had thoughts of pulling all the source
code ever posted to amiga groups out and putting them somewhere, but the job
would take weeks (time I don't have.)  I wonder if some people would be
embarrassed about some of the articles they posted a few years ago.
I hope we don't have any My-Site-Has-More-Archives-Than-Yours wars now...:-)

--
------  Walter Reed  ------   + uunet!ndsuvax!ncreed or ncreed@ndsuvax.BITNET
"There's no point in being    +      or ncreed@plains.NoDak.edu

daves@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Dave Scroggins) (07/28/88)

Folks,

>Even though comp.sys.amiga is an unmoderated group, the influx of new
>Amiga owners is causing repetition of the same basic questions every
>couple of months.  I suggest that someone, preferably one of the more
>
>The goals of these postings would be to familiarize new readers with the
>newsgroup, and to cut down the number of basic questions, conserving
>net.bandwidth.  It's important that the postings be factual, objective

I like the idea of a "New Users Posting", but it seems to me there is
little tolerance for new users and "basic" questions on the net.
(This is not limited to this group by any means!!)

Remember -- We were ALL new users once!!!
Just because we learned a few things does not mean we should
become "computer snobs".

If someone asks a "basic" question just E-mail the answer.
This would cut down on the infamous "Net Bandwidth" AND
make the new users feel welcome.

Just a thought --

Dave S.

plouff@nac.dec.com (Wes Plouff) (08/08/88)

[]

To any in this newsgroup who may have replied to my posting two weeks
ago...  Sorry, our internal distribution of Usenet news broke down on
that date and has not come back.  So, no comments on the introductory
postings proposal have reached me.  When news service resumes here in
VMS-land, expect responses/justification/defenses/wishful thinking as
appropriate.